Drove with no wheel wells in rain now car acting up

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok guys,I had no wheel wells for a few days and I drove it in the rain home and my car is starting to act weird. I removed air filter it was wet. I let it dry,sprayed maf cleaner put everything back and now it’s acting weird. Now it ideals higher then usual,it was normally at 900 now it jumped to 1500 rpm. The worst thing was on the hiway. I was driving power shifted and my car redlined aall the way! I turned it off (Manuel transmission) then put key on put in gear it turned on but at redline no sure if a,maf could cause this. Could a maf that got wet with water,then dried it sprayed with maf cleaner can cause this?Or maybe throttle cable?

• Sponsors (?)

The only way the car will redline just turning it on with a mechanical linkage would be a massive air leak or a stuck throttle linkage. Unless it was the gearing pulling the motor to rpm when you restarted it, I would be looking at the throttle body closely.

Reactions: 1 user
Drove through a large puddle once in my 86 5.0 - car was never right again after that anytime it rained. Engine would lack power and mpg would tank. Always wondered why and what got messed up that would cause that.

Does your car have cruise control? If so, I would start with the servo since it is under the wheel well. Maybe disconnect the servo cable from the throttle body and see if it makes a difference? Hope you figure it out.