dry cell battery+cold weather

• Sponsors (?)

i had the odyessy pc680 lightweight bettery for a year. got the bracket, hooked it up and enjoyed the lightened weight. that was until it didnt make it through its first winter, even though i was assured it would.

i did all the things i was supposed to. even hooked it up to a bettery tender that i bought extra specifically for the battery.

it has been sitting on my bedroom floor for a year now with the bracket and tender right next to it.

maybe youll have better luck. if you get it and want the bracket and brand new tener, i can get them to you cheap. i kept them incase i wanted to try another one.

not only that i was supposed to have some kind of warrenty for the battery that i could never get resolved. oh well...live and learn with modding these cars. good luck!

I ran the Odyssey batteries in my motorcycle and ATV when I was still lving in TX. I never had a problem with them in the cold, but then again it never really got below 30 much where I lived. I think you Georgia guys get colder winters.

My Odyssey has been in for 2 years now. No problems.

If I lived in the northern areas where it gets really cold, I'd pull the battery for the winter and just use it during the warmer months or on race day.

PC680%20Installed.jpg

View attachment 413721

I sent an email to Odyssey and this is what I received. It appeared to be a computer response, but it makes sense after I did some reserach on this AGM technology.

"If you live in an area where winter brings extreme cold, consider replacing your car’s standard battery with an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, such as the Odyssey Drycell Battery. Virtually maintenance-free, the Odyssey batteries never require additional water and the terminals never need cleaning or tightening after installation. Valve regulated drycell construction prevents external corrosion and acid leakage, and enables the battery to stand up to some of the harshest climates on Earth without losing its effectiveness..

In fact, the British Antarctic Survey, which conducts vital scientific research in the Antarctic, uses Odyssey Drycell Batteries in vehicles ranging from quad bikes to Snocats and bulldozers. Battery failure in such a harsh environment, where temperatures can fall to 55 degrees C below zero, can be a life-threatening situation. “If we have a failure at -40 degrees C and the vehicle is off station, then people could be stranded,” says Martin Bell, deputy project manager for the BAS. Thanks to Odyssey batteries, when BAS vehicles stop, it’s due to human frailty, rather than mechanical failure."

My Odyssey has been in for 2 years now. No problems.

If I lived in the northern areas where it gets really cold, I'd pull the battery for the winter and just use it during the warmer months or on race day.

PC680%20Installed.jpg

PC680Battery.jpg

Same set-up I have:nice: Mine won't cut it in sub-freezing weather. I just put the OEM battery in for the winter and take the Odyssey in the house:)

Attachments

• PC680%20Installed.jpg
    PC680%20Installed.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 358
  • PC680Battery.jpg
    PC680Battery.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 252
thats the same one i had as well, but i had no luck with it. im pissed that it didnt work out for me, i really liked the way it looked.

i used i 1.25 amp battery maintainer (battery tender) is the brand. the battery still would give me problems starting in the summer. it would start but would crank forever. somtines it would not start. the charger would tell me the battery was charged, but once i unhooked and tried to start it was a different story.

maybe cause you live in southern cal. you have better luck. i could have just unhooked it and brought it in al winter but i dont like not starting the car at all.

not to mention the alarm was a draw on it, not much but at least i dont have to worry about that anymore.

the stocker can sit in the garage over the winter no charger and start up pretty good.

I ran the Odyssey batteries in my motorcycle and ATV when I was still lving in TX. I never had a problem with them in the cold, but then again it never really got below 30 much where I lived. I think you Georgia guys get colder winters.

I may be able to get by with an Odyssey then. It doesn't get further below 25-ish in the winters. And if it dies, I'll swap it for the stocker just for the cold.

Where's the best place to get one of these? Are there any other brands of lightweight batteries?

i used i 1.25 amp battery maintainer (battery tender) is the brand. the battery still would give me problems starting in the summer. it would start but would crank forever. somtines it would not start. the charger would tell me the battery was charged, but once i unhooked and tried to start it was a different story.

maybe cause you live in southern cal. you have better luck. i could have just unhooked it and brought it in al winter but i dont like not starting the car at all.

not to mention the alarm was a draw on it, not much but at least i dont have to worry about that anymore.

the stocker can sit in the garage over the winter no charger and start up pretty good.

what the...those are some serious problems man. Anyone else have problems like these?

I may be able to get by with an Odyssey then. It doesn't get further below 25-ish in the winters. And if it dies, I'll swap it for the stocker just for the cold.

Where's the best place to get one of these? Are there any other brands of lightweight batteries?

The Odyssey will work fine for you if it just gets down to 25. Summit Racing carries the Odysseys batteries.

The only other brands I know of that make dry cell (gel cell) batteries are Dyna Batt, VIP, and Kinetik. I think the Odyssey's are the lightest though. Most of the guys I know that use the Odyssey as a daily driver use the PC-680 model. They have never had any problems, even some with aftermarket stereos.

The people that claim to have problems with them, usually do not have them connected well, and do not even realize it.

it never got that cold here so i thought id be fine too.

im pretty sure i had mine installed fine. i think i may have gotten a bum battery. as soon as i went back to stock the car was fine.

i did order it from a company on ebay because they had them for like $70.

maybe that was the problem. also i think if my car was a daily driver, it would have been different. the battery could not go being started only once a week.

actually i did a ton of research when i got the battery, when it came time for winter, and what kind of charger to get for it. i emailed oddessy about the charger and went with their recommendations. spent more money on that specific charger. i was pretty upset it didnt work out.

i do shows, and it looked neat in there...somthing a little different.

it just didnt work out.

i actually wouldnt mind switching back and forth for winter, but when i went to put the stocker back in it was dead!!! i had to get a new one.

i would hate to get another oddessy and when time to switch the stocker is dead again. that would suck. i was just thinking about giving a better company a try such as summit if they carry them.

maybe i got a remanufactured one or something.:shrug:

it never got that cold here so i thought id be fine too.

im pretty sure i had mine installed fine. i think i may have gotten a bum battery. as soon as i went back to stock the car was fine.

i did order it from a company on ebay because they had them for like $70.

maybe that was the problem. also i think if my car was a daily driver, it would have been different. the battery could not go being started only once a week.

actually i did a ton of research when i got the battery, when it came time for winter, and what kind of charger to get for it. i emailed oddessy about the charger and went with their recommendations. spent more money on that specific charger. i was pretty upset it didnt work out.

i do shows, and it looked neat in there...somthing a little different.

it just didnt work out.

I truly don't mean any offense, but that's exactly why I never have and never will buy a performance part from a complete stranger on ebay.:) I have bought some restoration parts before with no problems, but you just can't trust a performance part like that in my opinion.