Progress Thread Dsg Mach's Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, side marker light gave it away.
It must be an eary model V8, they started putting 302's in mustangs in 68 but they had to use up the 289 first.

I want to buy a 302 for it but my mom wants to restore it as the way it came from the factory. Im saving up money so I can buy it from her and I can do what I want to it.

5.0 roller and dress it up 67-8 style and nobody will know the difference, aode with a hidden controller or a t5 with a 4speed ball on it. Good all day.
But of course thats not what you want to do is it. :nono:

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 289 motor for it and a c4 trans. I will more than likely rebuild them both to keep it factory just to make my mom happy. Im not looking for a fast classic I just want it to drive and cruise in. My Mach One will be the fast Mustang. :D

I like learning the small stuff that helps narrow down the individual years. Makes me look more like a stud when i can guess the right year when i yell out the cars i see on the road.

I will stop mid sentence of any conversation to yell out a cool car driving down the road. Doesn't really matter who I'm talking to. I have problems.

Yesterday I had help from a buddy and we dropped the gas tank to fix my gas gauge issue. We ended up buying a stock fuel pump assembly from O'Reilly's because we couldn't take the fuel pump out of the Walbro unit. We wanted to reuse the Aeromotive 340 fuel pump I had and we were able to switch it on the one from O'Reilly's. After not having a working gas gauge since I bought the car its nice to have it now. Next thing to fix is this ABS issue that keeps popping on and off.

Stupid abs. I would like to delete it off my mach. Just to free up space and drop weight. Hate the idea of having to replumb all the lines though. I think if mine goes out, I'll just pull the abs light bulb out of the cluster. I dont need that or traction control.

Seems to me though, if you just got done dropping the gas tank before the light came on, maybe inspect those rear sensors close for damage, dirtiness, or disconnect.

Checked the vehicle for codes and there were none except theres a small evap leak and the P1000 code. I have driven 60 miles and I thought the obd readiness code would go away by now (P1000).

ignore the p1000. It'll pull a lot of time when running codes.

You may just have to be johnny on the spot with a code scanner the next time the light comes on.

Is it just doing it on hard bumps or shifts?

It just comes on when I am driving along randomly and then goes off after a few minutes. I dont have 18inch wheels, I am just running 17x9 tires up front and 17x10.5 in the rear. Maybe the 17x10.5 are causing it. I never had this problem on my 2v and these are the same wheels I had on it.

Check engine light came on today. Only code is the P0442 code. Says evap small leak... I dont know why it would do this? I am going to check all the lines to make sure they were reconnected and snug. My fuel filler neck grommet is not bad it does not leak fuel when I pump gas into the tank... I don't know how to fix this one if I cant find anything obviously not connected.. I will prob take it to the shop. My inspection is about to expire too which is just great

I am going to check the lines by the gas tank. I just replaced the fuel pump assembly so I might not of tightened something down. I gotta get this cel to go away so I can pass state inspection.

I checked the car over and could not find anything obvious to fix for the P0442 code. I still have the P1000 code as well I have driven 170 miles and it still wont go away. Im taking the car to a shop to get it fixed but if I cant get rid of this damn P1000 code I wont pass inspection.. My engine light is not on as well I dont know why its not on. I use my scanner and it shows the codes stored in the computer. Im really getting fed up with this car.

Do you by chance have a tune on the car?

Yes I took it to a shop to get dyno tuned and I told him I wanted the emissions stuff on because I was going to add catalytic converters so I could pass inspection. He gave me a tune that turns everything on and another tune where it turns it off. I may have downloaded the wrong tune I just reflashed the car this morning. If I cant get the light to come on I will contact my tuner to find out what I can do.

Will the P0442 (Evap small leak) code not allow the vehicle to complete its drive cycle in order to get rid of the P1000 code?

Last edited:
I had trouble with my old gt. The tune kept a p1000 in the system. Didn't ever go away until i set the car back to stock and put the stock tune back in it. Luckily Illinois insisting never cared about the readiness code as long as there were no emissions related codes.