Dumb HP Question

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
What do you think a 94-95 Cobra with my GT's mods tranfered over onto it would make HP wise?? Because my dad is gonna buy my car back from the insurance and give it to my 16 year old brother, but im getting my parts off of it and im gonna get a 94-95 Cobra and put them on that. Just in case you guys were wondering why i was asking this.

• Sponsors (?)

WhiteDevil said:
What do you think a 94-95 Cobra with my GT's mods tranfered over onto it would make HP wise?? Because my dad is gonna buy my car back from the insurance and give it to my 16 year old brother, but im getting my parts off of it and im gonna get a 94-95 Cobra and put them on that. Just in case you guys were wondering why i was asking this.

The GT was rated at 215, the Cobra was rated at about 240. The mods will give you just about the same HP increase on a GT VS a Cobra, its just that your starting at a higher HP w/ the Cobra

swingline said:
With the different injectors you are going to need to get your Pro-M recalibrated.
Well the Pro M was one of the stolen parts onlong with the CAI. But with the bulk of the mods my stock headed and cammed GT put down 249rwhp so would a guess of 260-265rwhp with the cobra be way out there?

swingline said:
With the different injectors you are going to need to get your Pro-M recalibrated.
No you do not. Although the Cobra does have 24 lb/hr injectors, you get a MAF calibration of 19 lb/hr injectors. The ECC compensates for the difference. I wouldn't worry about taking the Manifold over to the Cobra. Too much time and hassle to get maybe 3 horsepower. You can't really change the Cobra's catback exhaust unless you want to cut it, and weld it back onto the GT, kind of a PITA. Cobras I believe put down about 220 to the wheels, so with the H-pipe, headers, MAF, and pulleys, you will probably see ~265 RWHP. Cobras respond much better to exhaust modifications than a GT does. It would be cool for you to dyno the car with the Cobra manifold on there and the Performer so we can see if there are noticeable power differences. I think the differences are less than 5 horsepower.

Joe

i believed that the cobras aleardy had mild underdrive pullies. im sure your aftermarket one would still gain power but not as much as the pulley swap on a GT. did you have a stock cam in the GT. id be pretty sure as well as the rest of the guys taht your same mods would end up with more power. oh and yeah, the cool factor of it being a Cobra. those snakes always looked cool.

Joes95GT said:
I wouldn't worry about taking the Manifold over to the Cobra. Too much time and hassle to get maybe 3 horsepower. It would be cool for you to dyno the car with the Cobra manifold on there and the Performer so we can see if there are noticeable power differences. I think the differences are less than 5 horsepower.

Joe
I think that the performer is definatly a step up over the cobra intake. I have always dynoed higher than guys that try to save money by getting a cobra one. I talked to a guy that said he got 17rwhp when he swapped off the cobra for the Edelbrock.

WhiteDevil said:
I think that the performer is definatly a step up over the cobra intake. I have always dynoed higher than guys that try to save money by getting a cobra one. I talked to a guy that said he got 17rwhp when he swapped off the cobra for the Edelbrock.

I agree 100%.

Put the performer on there, and sell the cobra mani. I sold the cobra mani i had for 350+ a while back.

Have you found any Cobra's yet? I cant wait to see what you run with the car after how well you did with the GT.

WhiteDevil said:
I talked to a guy that said he got 17rwhp when he swapped off the cobra for the Edelbrock.

If this is accurate, it's due to the Cobra lower intake and I wonder what heads that car had on it. I don't see a Performer giving 17HP over a Cobra on stock GT40 heads. The Cobra lower is easily modded ($120-130) to make the same power.

tmoss said:
If this is accurate, it's due to the Cobra lower intake and I wonder what heads that car had on it. I don't see a Performer giving 17HP over a Cobra on stock GT40 heads. The Cobra lower is easily modded ($120-130) to make the same power.
I was told it was E7TEs :shrug: