Dumb Q: Would I Know If Pilot Bearing Was Left Out?

Ok, I know this is a stupid question and I should know but..... Would I know if the pilot bearing was left out of crank??
I (helped) rebuild and everything is fine. No vibrations whatsoever but I'm pretty sure we just bolted on flywheel, clutch ect. without anyone ever mentioning the pilot bearing?!?!?

This isn't something the machine shop would've installed is it?

I need to know if it could be missing and I not know it, I could pull it before any damage is done.

General local consensus is varied and questionable, frankly I'm ashamed to ask anyone with any merit that knows me lol.

ps sig all wrong, now:
same afr's, fti custom cam, RPM 2 efi, 80mm pro m
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Vibration i would imagine as it's one of the two bearing points for the input shaft of the transmission.

However, i've never experienced it first hand, so not 100% sure if it would cause vibration, but that's a logical guess.

Here's the answer to your question. Use some caution to keep your body parts away from the moving parts of this experiment...

Tie a big washer onto 12" of string
Tie the string to a rod 12" long
Stick the rod in an electric drill and turn it on - feel the pull and vibration? That's what the clutch disk is experiencing.

I'd imagine there would be vibration in the higher rpm's. It's worth removing the trans and shine a flash light through the bell housing and clutch, you should see the pilot bearing (if it's there). Didn't you guys use a clutch alignment tool? If so, what did you stick it in? lol

Reactions: 1 user
I'd imagine there would be vibration in the higher rpm's. It's worth removing the trans and shine a flash light through the bell housing and clutch, you should see the pilot bearing (if it's there). Didn't you guys use a clutch alignment tool? If so, what did you stick it in? lol

Heh... That's what I was wondering. How did they manage to get the PP centered without one and without tightening PP hardware until AFTER the shaft was put through?

Even with the tool installed properly, it can take more than one shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, well then the old one is there, I used alignment tool and had no problems installing.
I put tranny in by myself so I guess I just didn't think about bearing, so if it wasn't there I'd have known at that point, which is the answer to my question.

Any question that evokes a thought process to allow the search for an answer has merit.

Reactions: 1 users
Any question that evokes a thought process to allow the search for an answer has merit.

This is true. More times than not, we have to help figure out what the real question is. :)

Just remember:

there-is-no-spoon-matrix.JPG

:jester: