Build Thread Dusty's 81 wing...and other swap stuff

CarMichael Angelo

I don't like your attitude, let me fix that.
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Why do yall give me ideas.....why why why ?

I started out picking up some fabric type easy wire loom from DEI at the local parts store and ended up doing this...

20190218_205719.jpg

After a couple years I finally tucked the passenger side. I had a rubber grommet laying around and put it to good use. I was surprised that the MAF plug fit through the round hole on the back of the strut tower. Some other things surprised me too....

20190218_204400.jpg

20190218_213620.jpg

20190218_213613.jpg

....now I'm sitting here thinking that I'm real close to tagging this car....I mean real close. Thought all my big purchases were done and I was just messin' around with simple cosmetic crap.

Well....no.... I'm not. The wire tuck revealed that I have actual shaft play in my strut... ...and the bump steer kit has play. How I missed this crap I have no idea. Maybe it was because i felt the car tram lining ...and heard noise over there and just ignored it.... its just the charge pipe...

Or maybe I'm an idiot...

Either way, I now need to order coil overs and a new bump steer kit. This stuff never stops. If im going coil over I might as well order tubular lower control arms. There goes my tag and title money.

To top this off I had a guy that was selling brand new Viking adjustable struts with brand new coil overs for 350. This was just week before last. His stuff was brand new in the box and I passed on it. I had the money but thought there was nothing wrong with the crap I have on the car. The bump steer kit is about 8 years old and driven daily for a few of those years. The struts are 8 year old cheapy monroe struts that were also driven daily for a few years under my convertible. There goes another grand...oh...and I'm buying an Integra for my son this week....and the wife just talked me into a new sectional sofa ( also being bought this week )....and I haven't filed my taxes yet so I have no idea what I owe them yet...but I know I'll owe something.... aaaaarrrrgggghhhh who said I wanted to adult ? I'm a freakin' Toys R Us kid

I DON'T WANNA GROW UP....WAAAHHH !!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:
Take heart....a bucket of soapy water is almost free,..and there's got to be an old scrub brush laying around somewhere I'd think....With some effort and a little " me time", You can have an almost new looking inner fender well for free.

( I mean it'd be such a shame to put all of that new sht you're talking about on the car in the middle of all of that dirt.)

I mean if we're to blame for given you ideas,...there's at least gotta be one example of a clean, detailed, inner fender out there that you can blame for that too.:banana:

• Surprised
Reactions: General karthief
  • Sponsors (?)

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
I wonder if there is any difference between that loom you bought at the parts store and the electronics stuff I see on Amazon?

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
CarMicheal Angelo There is a reason my car is named " Dusty ". I scrubbed all this stuff a while ago.. about the time I installed the breather tank. Its covered in super fine Indiana dust....probably why the car has no rust.

When its finally together and the way I want it mechanically it'll all get torn down and stripped out. The under body and inner fenders will be painted and the car will be ding-less and painted. Everything is getting painted, coated, or polished.

Ever wonder why there is no mention of adding any new bits and pieces to the interior yet, Mike ? It's because it's all coming back out....everything. it'll probably take me 5 more years but, if you're still watchin' , you'll see it all.

Reactions: RaggedGT

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I wonder if there is any difference between that loom you bought at the parts store and the electronics stuff I see on Amazon?
Not sure...this stuff is supposed to withstand 500° and cost 27 bucks for 20ft. It says its 3/8 but my harness was about 9/16 and it covered completely. Its split down the middle and curls around the wires. Very flexible.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Been busy working on customers cars. This veloster got CAI, intercooler W/ hot & cold piping, new fuel pump, tubular crash bar, braided upgraded line to the high pressure pump, and map sandwich plate.

20190224_210748.jpg

I got paid and his old CAI and Synapse BOV. Things keep leading me into the deep hole of modifying the 19 ecoboost.

I must resist....

Last edited:

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Got this stuff in the mail. It's a bump steer kit, seat belt hole covers, and an ash tray repair kit. Ordered new struts that should be in store Sunday.

20190226_211038.jpg

These things are a PITA. Just to let everyone know the coupe and convertible take the same covers.

....and, Mike , I finally installed an interior part. If you look close you can see the Indiana dust behind the panels. I had them removed and cleaned behind them when I had the entire interior apart and out. Don't fret, it'll all be cleaned...again. There's some painting in my future, too.

The bottom tabs broke on both pieces trying to get them seated. Probably had something to do with the low temps in the garage. They fit anyways though. I'm happy with them. They are in there tight as hell.

20190226_212230.jpg

20190226_212326.jpg

The ash tray will wait until I do the e brake recall repair.

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
Been busy working on customers cars. This veloster got CAI, intercooler W/ hot & cold piping, new fuel pump, tubular crash bar, braided upgraded line to the high pressure pump, and map sandwich plate.

20190224_210748.jpg

I got paid and his old CAI and Synapse BOV. Things keep leading me into the deep hole of modifying the 19 ecoboost.

I must resist....
Bwaahaahaahaa!

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Up to my old tricks with hose clamps. A little heat shrink goes a long way.

20190302_212650.jpg

Can barely see the clamp up by the throttle body now.

20190302_215923.jpg

Went to the Pick A Part and found a 99 explorer v8. Man, I tore into that thing to get at the fuel rails. My fuel rails are a little rusty and I wanted replacements. Got the upper intake off and it had a built in fuel pressure regulator. I thought all of Fords regulators were 2 or 3 bolt. Nope....not this POS. Wasted about an hour trying to get to it. Complete waste of time.

Guess I'll just buy some aftermarket fuel rails...probably Aeromotive....or BBK. I really need to run new feed and return lines anyway one day. I'd much rather have too much fuel in the rails than not enough.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Story time...

A bunch of years ago I went to mustang week myrtle beach. The girlfriend ( now wife ) had a business function in Greenville, NC for a couple days. We stayed there first for a couple days before heading to SC. While there I was bored out of my mind. My 89 convertible was looking all purdy with its fresh svo blue pearl paint job.

However, the worn old Strange struts were shot. Felt every little bump on the road. The IRS springs were way too soft and caused the car to bottom out in the rear...and the tire brands didn't match front to rear.

One hot summer day I rollz up to O'Reilly's and bought jack stands, struts, shocks, and spring spacers. The guy came out of the store and saw me on the side with my car on the 4 jack stands wonderin' what the hell I was doin'. We talked a bit and I told him I'd only be about an hour. He told me if I was done in an hour he'd let me get a refund on the jack stands....

Needless to say, I got it done with a few minutes to spare. He refunded the money for the stands. I drove over to a tire shop and bought 4 tires and got an alignment.

I remember telling the guys not to use my ebrake...but they did anyways. Man was that tech scared when the back wheels were locked up. Lol. I didn't have return springs on the rear calipers. To release them you had to stick a screw driver back there and pry the e brake cam. Almost scared them into giving me the alignment for free...but they were all way too cool for that.

This UPR bump steer kit came from the first trip to MW Myrtle Beach....where I met Mike with his red throwback mustang coupe. Me and Carmicheal Angelo talked for at least an hour or so that day. ( he don't remember none of it...that old coot. Lol )

These struts carried me through a lot of pot holes....blizzards....trips to the track....even took a ride over a curb with Dusty. I'll miss these old cheap struts. It was great but sometimes ya jus' have to move on.

20190303_145241.jpg

If you notice the new bump steer ends are on the old bump steer kit. That's because the UPR kit end is way longer allowing for more adjustment. The threads on the outer heims joint are also reverse thread which simplified adjustment. With the new kit I have to turn the inner tie rod to adjust. With the old UPR all you had to do was loosen the nuts and turn the blue aluminum body. Not a big deal.

20190303_123033.jpg

Car is back down on the ground and everything is installed.

20190303_143430.jpg

I installed the OEspectrum Monro struts. I want to do coil overs and adjustable struts but the budget wouldn't allow it yet. Kinda caught me off guard when I went to tuck the passenger side. No way I could leave it the way it was.

There's no more play in the struts or bump steer kit....I'm happy.

I found these and will be installing to keep dirt out of the heims joints. Should help them live a little longer.

Screenshot_20190226-215350_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Story time...

A bunch of years ago I went to mustang week myrtle beach. The girlfriend ( now wife ) had a business function in Greenville, NC for a couple days. We stayed there first for a couple days before heading to SC. While there I was bored out of my mind. My 89 convertible was looking all purdy with its fresh svo blue pearl paint job.

However, the worn old Strange struts were shot. Felt every little bump on the road. The IRS springs were way too soft and caused the car to bottom out in the rear...and the tire brands didn't match front to rear.

One hot summer day I rollz up to O'Reilly's and bought jack stands, struts, shocks, and spring spacers. The guy came out of the store and saw me on the side with my car on the 4 jack stands wonderin' what the hell I was doin'. We talked a bit and I told him I'd only be about an hour. He told me if I was done in an hour he'd let me get a refund on the jack stands....

Needless to say, I got it done with a few minutes to spare. He refunded the money for the stands. I drove over to a tire shop and bought 4 tires and got an alignment.

I remember telling the guys not to use my ebrake...but they did anyways. Man was that tech scared when the back wheels were locked up. Lol. I didn't have return springs on the rear calipers. To release them you had to stick a screw driver back there and pry the e brake cam. Almost scared them into giving me the alignment for free...but they were all way too cool for that.

This UPR bump steer kit came from the first trip to MW Myrtle Beach....
where I met Mike with his red throwback mustang coupe. Me and Carmicheal Angelo talked for at least an hour or so that day. ( he don't remember none of it...that old coot. Lol )
These struts carried me through a lot of pot holes....blizzards....trips to the track....even took a ride over a curb with Dusty. I'll miss these old cheap struts. It was great but sometimes ya jus' have to move on.

20190303_145241.jpg

If you notice the new bump steer ends are on the old bump steer kit. That's because the UPR kit end is way longer allowing for more adjustment. The threads on the outer heims joint are also reverse thread which simplified adjustment. With the new kit I have to turn the inner tie rod to adjust. With the old UPR all you had to do was loosen the nuts and turn the blue aluminum body. Not a big deal.

20190303_123033.jpg

Car is back down on the ground and everything is installed.

20190303_143430.jpg

I installed the OEspectrum Monro struts. I want to do coil overs and adjustable struts but the budget wouldn't allow it yet. Kinda caught me off guard when I went to tuck the passenger side. No way I could leave it the way it was.

There's no more play in the struts or bump steer kit....I'm happy.

I found these and will be installing to keep dirt out of the heims joints. Should help them live a little longer.

Screenshot_20190226-215350_Chrome.jpg
Oh My God!
You've went all these years, and just now are mentioning that we spoke?..I must've talked to 93 bagillion people over those two days in 2012...Im sorry if I forgot, I barely remember anything from that trip other than it started with me driving through a torrential rain storm, and ended with me in a white knuckle panic driving back smelling antifreeze and not knowing if the engine was gonna boil over any second for 300 miles.
I found the thread...did you come on and remind me that we spoke at that time?
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/1200-hours-no-its-not-a-kit-and-yes-im-the-owner-and-a-can-of-bars-leak.859524/

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Oh My God!
You've went all these years, and just now are mentioning that we spoke?..I must've talked to 93 bagillion people over those two days in 2012...Im sorry if I forgot, I barely remember anything from that trip other than it started with me driving through a torrential rain storm, and ended with me in a white knuckle panic driving back smelling antifreeze and not knowing if the engine was gonna boil over any second for 300 miles.
I found the thread...did you come on and remind me that we spoke at that time?
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/1200-hours-no-its-not-a-kit-and-yes-im-the-owner-and-a-can-of-bars-leak.859524/
I wasn't a member back then...didn't know anything about stangnet 'til ya told me. I got caught in the same rain storm on the overpass on 17. No where to pull over so we got soaked.

20190304_095133.jpg

20190304_095114.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: General karthief

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Had a few minutes to spare this evening. Decided to tackle the ash tray door and the e brake recall fix.

This is what happened to my center console...

20190308_195658.jpg

I was on the phone with the wife ( while she complained about everything under the sun ) and heard a crack. The seal for the e brake just cracked clean off. Then I re- noticed this...

20190308_195641.jpg

The arm that holds the spring is completely gone. I knew this when I put everything back in the car....but I forgot. The repair kit won't work. I can make something to fix it but I won't. Looks like I have another thing to order.

Reactions: RaggedGT

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
The e brake repair went flawless. Heres a before shot...

20190308_194511.jpg

Here's the recall part...

20190308_194502.jpg

Here's where it goes. What it does is locks the ratchet pawl in position. When the handle is down the pawl is released. When you pull it up it grabs one of the teeth and sets the brake. That mechanism could fail causing the e brake to not grap. Easy install...

20190308_195606.jpg

20190308_195533.jpg

I use an e brake out of a 98 mustang. Its different than the 79- 93 mustangs. Made the change because of the IRS and the sn95 style cables.

Works like a charm.

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
The e brake repair went flawless. Heres a before shot...
20190308_194511.jpg

Here's the recall part...

20190308_194502.jpg

Here's where it goes. What it does is locks the ratchet pawl in position. When the handle is down the pawl is released. When you pull it up it grabs one of the teeth and sets the brake. That mechanism could fail causing the e brake to not grap. Easy install...

20190308_195606.jpg

20190308_195533.jpg

I use an e brake out of a 98 mustang. Its different than the 79- 93 mustangs. Made the change because of the IRS and the sn95 style cables.

Works like a charm.
I can see the problem before you even point it out...the things all covered in blur.