90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Yesterday was a complete wtf...

Was awakened at 7am to my wife telling me the vent was making a weird noise. Jumped up and it sounded like 2 cats were fighting in my duct work....banging, screeching, and grinding. Ran to the thermostat and cut everything off- noise stops with a thud. Stomp to the basement, get her to cut it on, and the unit is litterally trying to shake itself apart. Call and was referred to Green Boots HVAC. These folks get a guy out in 2 hours.

He shows up in a very professional van...grabs his professional tools and goes down there to check things out. I follow out of pure curiosity. I'm thinking the blower bearings have bit the dust or the cage is loose. Can't fix it myself though because of insurance. This guy hits the breaker and starts pulling things apart. As soon as he takes the access panel off wire nuts start falling out. He shakes his head. Being a mechanic I know how it feels going behind a " not so great " tech. He shines his light in there and the blower cage... is in pieces. Thus guy makes a call and another one is in stock. Goes and grabs it within 30 minutes. Heat is back on...we're toasty and our family has no idea when they come over for dinner. Then this morning...

See, I don't ever touch the thermostat. Me and the wife have an agreement that the house is hers...outside and the garage are mine. She comes and tells me the auxiliary heat is on and flashing 68° ( we keep the house at 72° ). Go outside and the outside unit isn't running, the duct is warm, and fan is turning. I call Green Boots. They have the same guy out in 45 mins. with his professional van and professional tools. He looks perplexed but goes through the normal testing of stuff inside and outside. One of those wire nuts that he didn't touch popped loose on one of the safety mechanism when he was working yesterday. He apologized and replaced every wire nut in the unit. Heat comes on and no issues.

To make a long story short....I felt this guy's pain. We talked in the garage about cars, hunting and kids. He gives me a referral to a place called " Shooters Archery " to get my bow re-strung. All around cool redneck. Sometimes people have bad days and it makes it better not to be a jerk. That company and people are great though. I'll refer him to everyone I know in the area.

Now the car....

I've been trying all types of stuff to make the ends of the cobra bumper. On a 91- 93 there's no issue, but my car is a 88 so extensions have to be made. I tried spray foam ( used that a bunch way back in the days...but wouldn't work for this ), tried clay ( have done a bunch of mold making and such way back in the days...wouldn't work for this )...resorted to the tried and true cardboard templates and aluminum foil. Had to have the bumper off and a stand. Plus, I procrastinate and jump to other things.

Anyways, here's where I'm at. Gotta pick up more glass, resin, and activator tomorrow. Had less than I thought.

20210210_145845.jpg

The garage is a mess....

20210210_205109.jpg

20210210_205118.jpg

Getting it done this time.

• Sponsors(?)

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Snowing again. I picked a great week for vacation.

It's actually happening this time. Some of you know this isn't my first rodeo with fiberglass. It's cold so it's taking a while to set up. Alternating sides with the drop light to speed things up. I haven't done anything to the inside of the bumper where the crack was yet. Store didn't have a decent bumper repair kit.

If you're interested in the process. You make a cardboard templates of one side. Flipping that over gives a mirror image for the other side. Trace the first template out and cut the second set. Test fit the other side. I used thicker cardboard so I had to mash the edge down on the side of the bumper before tapping it all up. Took fiberglass cloth and cut out a pattern of what I needed. Apply spray adhesive to the cardboard and lay aluminum foil. Fiberglass won't stick to the foil and doesn't like sticking to masking tape either. I still like putting a light coat of PAM no stick spray on the foil and the tape. Sprayed on and wiped with a paper towel to spread it out and pull up any excess. I used 4 layers of fiberglass cloth per side. Spread resin / hardener mix on the end ( top ). Layed the fiberglass and used moderate pressure with a spreader and worked resin into cloth. When the 4th layer went on I used my gloved fingers to spread more resin and to position the glass as needed. It's easier to cut the edges when it gets leathery to the touch...after that you'll need a cut off wheel.

After this sets it'll get pulled off. The templates and tape gets removed. And the end caps get test fitted. After they get trimmed and fitted the bumper gets taped off again for the filler, shaping, and smoothing. Attachment holes get drilled and the priming and finishing begins.

Here's where I'm at in the process....

20210211_173005.jpg

That's all my nitrous stuff laying there on the floor. That crap was expensive and I wish I could find a use for it. I've been thinking about doing a co2 spray ring in front of the intercooler. The fog from it would look cool. Would also help cool things down before cutting the car off.

Maybe I'll do it...maybe I wont.

Last edited:

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Popped the fiberglass off the templates and everything looks good. The green frog tape saturated and was a bit of a pain to separated. Some traces of it are still left on one of the pieces but who cares.

Bondo says there is a filler specifically for fiberglass. They're probably talking about Bondo hair reinforced crapola. That stuff is hard as hell to sand. The bondo that smoothed out the wing winglettes is holding up great so regular stuff will be going on these too. I'm super happy to be at this point. These may be done by the end of the weekend...well...it would be any other weekend.

20210212_004247.jpg

Reactions: RaggedGT

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Trimmed out the end caps. The rest needs to be done with them on the car. Checked my door gaps again and the passenger door is just a hair wider at the quarter. Gotta readjust it....again.

These are my old nitrous solenoids. I checked them and they all work. Kinda wish my current set up could handle it. I miss purging and that rush.

20210212_163506.jpg

I tore up some stuff back in the day. That spray nozzle on the far right got to the point where it was stuck in my intake. I just used vise grips on it and the fitting. JB weld held it when it went back in. Man...the days of being young and dumb. I'd spray anything back then.

Reactions: RaggedGT

Monkeybutt2000

Advanced Member
Aug 11, 2019
Lafayette,IN
Trimmed out the end caps. The rest needs to be done with them on the car. Checked my door gaps again and the passenger door is just a hair wider at the quarter. Gotta readjust it....again.

These are my old nitrous solenoids. I checked them and they all work. Kinda wish my current set up could handle it. I miss purging and that rush.

20210212_163506.jpg

I tore up some stuff back in the day. That spray nozzle on the far right got to the point where it was stuck in my intake. I just used vise grips on it and the fitting. JB weld held it when it went back in. Man...the days of being young and dumb. I'd spray anything back then.
I LOVED the juice,I had the popular 75hp NOS dry kit on my notch back in the late 90's. The car just hooked and went and was hard to beat on the street. Won a bunch of $$ playin' around back then,good times.

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I LOVED the juice,I had the popular 75hp NOS dry kit on my notch back in the late 90's. The car just hooked and went and was hard to beat on the street. Won a bunch of $$ playin' around back then,good times.

Yeah man ! Those were the days. I took a lot of money too....lost some too. Lol

Makes me want to clean this stuff up and put it in a case with a pic of my old car.

Reactions: Monkeybutt2000

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
One side almost done. This is about 7 hrs if sanding, spraying, spreading, sanding....

Might have this and the other side done this weekend. It still needs to have the front edge trimmed off. Coming out decent so far. This is a black primer. Lots more sanding and glazing to do. Final step will be sanding it and the bumper and a coat of semi gloss black.

20210218_221142.jpg

20210218_221151.jpg

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
One side almost done. This is about 7 hrs if sanding, spraying, spreading, sanding....

Might have this and the other side done this weekend. It still needs to have the front edge trimmed off. Coming out decent so far. This is a black primer. Lots more sanding and glazing to do. Final step will be sanding it and the bumper and a coat of semi gloss black.

20210218_221142.jpg

I’m curious..You’ve spent all this time duplicating this contour. It doesn’t match the Fox lines on top. Isn’t that the contour from the donor car?

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Sand...sand and more sanding....

The trick will be making this side look exactly like the other one.

20210219_220426.jpg

Still the same side....day 2...or 3....

20210219_222911.jpg

...and I thought I was done with sanding. Amazing what primer will show you...

20210219_225922.jpg

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Ok...I'm done for the night. Progress continues tomorrow...

That nasty funky edge will get trimmed off. Just wanted to see it all one color so I could pick the best line. I really hope the passenger side goes quicker than this one. Everything has to be as perfect as I can get it. This is why I couldn't be a body man for a living. I can't turn off my OCD.

20210220_012611.jpg

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Finished project in primer. I really set myself up this time. No 4 days for the other side...smh

20210220_164415.jpg

20210220_164421.jpg

20210220_164428.jpg

The right side was a little messed up so I had to add some glass to it.

20210220_190630.jpg

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
There's no way I could be a body man and do this for a living....no way !!!

Had to sand a lot more on the right side....

20210222_225402.jpg

Was determined to get it done today. Turned out well. I'm satisfied.

20210222_235808.jpg

I've got to get some egg shell black paint for the bumper so I can stick these bad boys on. I see why I procrastinated. Wish I knew a faster easier way.

Boostedpimp

15 Year Member
May 8, 2003
NJ
Not sure if it is even possible but If it were me I would figure out a way to make a quality mold off them before install. Just so if you would ever need to replace one in the future you could cut the time down by a ton.