This is the only picture of the inside of a volvo eps that I could find....

Screenshot_20201217-142530_Chrome.jpg

This tells me 2 things...

1. That there is stuff in there that may be able to be tapped into to bypass the current module function.

2. That these things can function as small boat anchors.

I guess we will find out when I can get back to the JY.

I've been reading a bunch of forums and info about these s40 pumps. Apperently, the delay in start up ( 2.5 seconds) is for the module to go into limp mode. This mode sets the PS pump at 75٪ output...about the sensitivity of 40 mph driving. No one has cracked the CAN code but it is in the works as of Aug. of this year....then that forum thread dried up.

My theory is that if the module can do it then an outside thing could do it too. Brushless motors have variable rpm controllers all over the interwebs. All the ones I found are 3 phase and these motors are reported as 4 phase motors. They use PWM to vary the speed. If I can disect the circuit board ( I'm no electronics guru...but a few here are ) then I could figure out how this particular 1 is controlled and how the relay is powered. Those two things will give me control.

I need to upgrade to MS3. I don't think my PNP2 will be able to calculate speed and control PWM based on that info.

Wish I knew how to build an Arduino to read the speed signal from my tko and send out a pwm based off of that. Then it could be a stand alone system and wouldn't need another controller. Great idea, @a91what.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

No JY today. Lots of stuff going for the holidays. Guess I'll get there before the new year.

In the meantime here's how Dusty sits today. Just some mock up and figuring going on.

20201219_183554.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
That pic was a random
Did they salvage that unit from the Titanic?

It would be cool if you can reverse engineer the control to just get to the SSR. You'd be golden.

That pic was random from the interwebs. That thing is all kinds of screwed up. As soon as I can I'm going to the yard. Will take it apart and get detailed pictures out there. This way I don't have to pay for something that won't get used.

Working on bolting the EPS up. Anyone that knows me knows I hate drilling holes in a fox. So far I've been able to use existing holes...like one under the battery tray that worked out perfect with a piece of metal from a flying magnet style speed sensor kit.

Still in a mock up faze but I know it will work. I need to put a spacer, bolt, and a piece of flat stock running down to the other side of my angle stock mounting brace. It's coming together....just gotta find somewhere for my coolant overflow now.

20201221_225746.jpg

I bought some smooth round stock to cut spacers to replace the factory PS pump and still be able to use the shared steel bracket. LMR wants 69 bucks for two spacers and a belt I'll never use. Might end up buying it anyway...the spacers are thicker walled and seem more stable. I can't find any stuff like that local.

Been looking at class A and C motorhomes. I really like the Winnebago with no slides. Trying to get something fun that can tow around Dusty or one of our other cars. Anyone have any pointers for this type stuff.

Screenshot_20201222-125522_YouTube.jpg

Life is short guys....live every bit of it while you can.

Happy Holidays !!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey sickfox, I'm wondering why eps? Our ps system is simple,and works well.I've driven like I stole it for over 100k miles over thirteen years and no issues.won't all the extra :poo: just be more :poo: to go wrong?I'm sure you gotta have a good reason.

Hey sickfox, I'm wondering why eps? Our ps system is simple,and works well.I've driven like I stole it for over 100k miles over thirteen years and no issues.won't all the extra :poo: just be more :poo: to go wrong?I'm sure you gotta have a good reason.
It's not for everyone. But on a turbo car,the hoses are very close to the crossover. Plus it cleans up the engine bay, I'm excited to see how this works out.

Ahh, yes the heat of the turbo. More of a necessity then a want,got ya.

My biggest concern is belt wrap for the AC. It also frees up room and adds about 5 to 8hp ( dyno tests show ). I don't care about more more hp though.

I've got a back up mirror from a Subaru, camera from a Chrysler, vacuum pump from a Cruze, distribution block from an 80s Silverado, fans from a Contour, rear from an 04 cobra, booster from 93 cobra...blah blah blah. My car begin its life as an auto 4 banger...I just like swapping stuff.

My car is a hodge podge of junk yard car parts. I like making things work as they were designed in other vehicles.

Reactions: 4 users
Merry Christmas !!!

Had time to sneak out to the garage. Got the wiring soldered together for the basic swap set up. Not hooked up yet but it's getting there.

Made all the brackets. Had some aluminum angle, flat stock and bolts laying around. Even had a 5/8 piece of hose with a 90° bend. Cut the original hose in the center and put the 90 in there. Worked out perfect to go around the battery.

20201225_181900.jpg

20201225_181852.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pics. I'll take better pictures and descriptions when I take it apart to polish them like the ones holding the oil separator. I want to find some 16mm band clamps for the hose. I have the tool to squeeze them ( same as axle boots and rack boots ). They'll look cleaner than hose screw clamps and they'll fit in the mesh wrap nicely.

The inlaws have been here since Tuesday. Time is hard to come by.

Reactions: 3 users
Did more wire clean up. I had been through this wiring years ago but that plastic covering stuff irritated the heck out of me. It also used to just kind of lay on top of the intercooler and could be seen when the hood was raised.

Before...

20201228_174012.jpg

20201228_174016.jpg

After...

20201228_191635.jpg

20201228_191641.jpg

It's now stuck up above the AC condenser and secured with zip ties. I plan on spending some time cleaning up the dirt in this area.

Removed the passenger fender and broke the dang antenna wire. I've done that atleast 20 times on this car. I knew better than to try to remove the cable at the fender end...but I did. Then I got curious and barely touched the connector...and it broke off. Oh well...just mo dollas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Mike would.be proud...

Started polishing the core support. This first pass came out pretty good. I swear by " White Diamonds " metal polish. This stuff has been working for years on all types of stuff....including paint and headlights.

Before...

20201228_191635.jpg

After...

20210101_191118.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a multi red Motorsport banner for my windshield. I'm kinds digging it.

Screenshot_20210101-191140_Chrome.jpg

The Volvo EPS is turning out great. I owe y'all some more pictures. I touched the wires to batt + and ground. The pump works. The factory line should reach it so I may try that before spending for more stuff.

On another note... I'm going to be checking out a few RVs tomorrow. It's hard finding one with a 7k pound tow rating. I need it to be able to tow atleast an open car trailer with my ecoboost on it. I've found a few lightweight open deck car trailers.
Purchase probably won't be made for a few months....unless I find a sweet deal.

Have a guy that wants me to install headers and replace valve stem seals on his fox. Means I'll have to get Dusty out of the garage to make room for more spending money.

Reactions: 6 users
This was one of those nice days with good weather. Thought I'd get a bunch done...but what I did took all day.

Here's the hose for the EPS reservoir. You can see the elbow I added and the ugly screw clamps. They reside in the dark abyss between the headlight and the battery box. No need for the fancy clamps I wanted.

20210102_120711.jpg

...added shielding from the volvo that sacrificed its parts.

20210102_122555.jpg

Here's the bracket I made. It bolts down with the battery hold down bolt and is polished to a near mirror finish now.

20210102_120916.jpg

20210102_201229.jpg

Now...for the other part of the day....

Reactions: 2 users
The brackets for the intercooler have been irritating me since I made them. Had to do something about that.

20210102_142627.jpg

Polishing...

20210102_150801.jpg

Bolted up and looking better...

20210102_162839.jpg

I don't know if anyone ever noticed but I had a blue coupler on the passenger side of my intercooler. It was what I had laying around when I did the install. I was going to order a new one but decided to put the silicone tape that came with the wire loom stuff to good use.

20210102_194539.jpg

20210102_200312.jpg

You could see that blue eye sore through the hole in the terminator front bumper. I absolutely hated it. That is behind me now.

The EPS pump polished up really well...but y'all will have to wait till tomorrow for that.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll never use that plastic convoluted :poo: again. The nylon braided looking split loom is so much better. Even more so when you can finish it with heat shrink instead of tape, but that's not always possible. I'll be waiting to see the EPS in action.

Here's a pic if the polished up EPS. I'll take my dremel wire wheel to the rest another day.

20210103_110452.jpg

Today turned out well. Not a lot done but a lot figured out. There's no way I could justify over 60 bucks for the PS delete spacers. I found a 7/16 bolt ( same size as PS stud ) and hit every store in my area for a bushing or sleeve or anything that would take up the space inside the round stock I got. No luck at all. Decided to take matters in my own hands.

That sounds simple but my usual welder has been in loan to the guy that owns the Drift Fox that's in the volvo EPS video. He's a cool guy and has been trying to get it back to me for months....I just would rather go to his house so I can check out his car. Cool guy...but over an hour from me since I moved. Anyway, I've had a Sears Craftsman welder for years but never even checked if it works. Traded a guy a Lightning supercharger for it and the 42lb injectors. The thing came with 2 rolls of wire...Flux core and regular gas wire. I've had issues finding a tank and too tight to buy a good regulator...so it's been sitting until today.

This is what I started out with. Found a bunch of washers in my bolt box but they're just a little small for the bolt but just the right hang over for the round stock.

20210103_205326.jpg

20210103_205417.jpg

I went to town welding the washer on and learned three things...

1. Don't weld on top of wood unless you want to create fire.

2. A grinder works a whole lot better when you don't have to hold it with one hand while it dances all over the shelf it sits on.

3. It helps if you can actually see what you're doing when your holding a 48 inch part down on a washer and using a welder that is on without the trigger pulled. ( old school trigger is wire speed only )

It got done...just one washer welded but I know it'll work. A step drill bit opened the hole up perfect after it was welded. Fought with the dang grinder so much I left out and went to HF. I couldn't take it anymore.

This is what I was welding with and on...

20210103_212056.jpg

20210103_205612.jpg

Here's the result....

20210103_212627.jpg

That trip to HF got me a real welding helmet, a darn stand for the percolator, and a neat magnetic base laser pointer that I'll play with when I toy with my alignment.

20210103_205130.jpg

I'm better prepared so things should come together in the next few days. I found a Maxi fuse holder at PB ( PepBoys ) that will work for the EPS as soon as I find an 80amp fuse and wire ends that will work.

20210103_213208.jpg

It's the huge fuses Ford liked to use from the 80s to early 2000s. The holder is about 1.5 inches wide...looks little in the pic. It's compact enough and cheap. I'll have to tap a screw in the structure above the wheel but it's a small price to pay.

Oh...and...no huge deals at the camper dealer yesterday. They had a couple decent ex rentals but the tow capacity would be an issue. The most the best one could pull was 5k. The search continues.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Mike would.be proud...

Started polishing the core support. This first pass came out pretty good. I swear by " White Diamonds " metal polish. This stuff has been working for years on all types of stuff....including paint and headlights.

Before...

20201228_191635.jpg

After...

20210101_191118.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a multi red Motorsport banner for my windshield. I'm kinds digging it.

Screenshot_20210101-191140_Chrome.jpg

The Volvo EPS is turning out great. I owe y'all some more pictures. I touched the wires to batt + and ground. The pump works. The factory line should reach it so I may try that before spending for more stuff.

On another note... I'm going to be checking out a few RVs tomorrow. It's hard finding one with a 7k pound tow rating. I need it to be able to tow atleast an open car trailer with my ecoboost on it. I've found a few lightweight open deck car trailers.
Purchase probably won't be made for a few months....unless I find a sweet deal.

Have a guy that wants me to install headers and replace valve stem seals on his fox. Means I'll have to get Dusty out of the garage to make room for more spending money.
Flitz makes an awesome metal and everything polish if you run out.