90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
@davedathe transmission would've been 2586.00 by itself without the 480.00 upgrades and the clutch, yoke, and bell. Some people modify the t5 bell and just relocate the stock crossmember. A tko500 doesn't need a new clutch.

I could've done it the cheap way but I wanted it done the best and fastest way possible. That didn't come cheap.

Reactions: Davedacarpainter
  • Sponsors(?)

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
@davedathe transmission would've been 2586.00 by itself without the 480.00 upgrades and the clutch, yoke, and bell. Some people modify the t5 bell and just relocate the stock crossmember. A tko500 doesn't need a new clutch.

I could've done it the cheap way but I wanted it done the best and fastest way possible. That didn't come cheap.
you’ll never get a reply from @ davedathe transmission.

Right now You are @ Scottthemanual transmission, and I’m @Miketheauto transmission here..

Dave still paints cars, you and I spend over 4 k on our separate poisons.

And they ain’t paint.

But when comparing the two of us, think of it this way: While you’re shiftin’, I’m not liftin’

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
you’ll never get a reply from @ davedathe transmission.

Right now You are @ Scottthemanual transmission, and I’m @Miketheauto transmission here..

Dave still paints cars, you and I spend over 4 k on our separate poisons.

And they ain’t paint.

But when comparing the two of us, think of it this way: While you’re shiftin’, I’m not liftin’

I was too tired to proof read and just let it go. Smh. He saw it though.

revhead347

Just rub Vaseline all over
15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
From one old man to another, things have changed a little bit. He's not going to have to lift to shift that transmission. You don't need to lift on a stock TKO600, and you definitely don't need to lift on a Hanlon. You got to give it just a dab of clutch to unload the blocker ring. With a little practice that Hanlon will keep up with your 4L80 on at least 2 shifts. The 2-3 shift is always a little bit of a loss.

Kurt

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Looks like Christmas already.

20201023_202728.jpg

The pile keeps growing. :banana::banana::banana:

droopie85gt

Hookers and Beer for life!
Dec 26, 2016
Cordova, TN
From one old man to another, things have changed a little bit. He's not going to have to lift to shift that transmission. You don't need to lift on a stock TKO600, and you definitely don't need to lift on a Hanlon. You got to give it just a dab of clutch to unload the blocker ring. With a little practice that Hanlon will keep up with your 4L80 on at least 2 shifts. The 2-3 shift is always a little bit of a loss.

Kurt
And most modern ECU have Flat shifting, so even if you have to use the clutch peddle, you never lift the throttle.

@90sickfox damn, that's a nice pile! :cheers:

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I wonder what I'm going to do with the other complete set up. All I need is a flywheel and a carburetor and I'll have a complete engine and transmission sitting in the corner with long tubes.

My old neighbor still has the rust free calypso 4 banger. Might have to make a call....

Potomus Pete

Gretchen Whitmer is eating at me
Mar 7, 2019
Sarasota Florida
I wonder what I'm going to do with the other complete set up. All I need is a flywheel and a carburetor and I'll have a complete engine and transmission sitting in the corner with long tubes.

My old neighbor still has the rust free calypso 4 banger. Might have to make a call....
$1700.00 Value , but you might take a grand.

Foxslider

im not that much of a idiot
Oct 25, 2019
Houston, TX
Lol our car front ends would of been exact. Thats funny. Ultra clears, same red, 03 cobra unpainted. But mine aint that red since had to source frontend from crash.

Thats where similarity stop though. Ie: stroker,turbo,trans... but damn thats trans sick!

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I had a pile of parts that big...It took me a month of solid days during my “ Covid Furlough” from work to get them in the engine. and on the car. If not for that solid amount of time, I’d just now be getting mine running originally with a 4r70w in it.
Now,...that said...Get to work.

revhead347

Just rub Vaseline all over
15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
I had a pile of parts that big...It took me a month of solid days during my “ Covid Furlough” from work to get them in the engine. and on the car. If not for that solid amount of time, I’d just now be getting mine running originally with a 4r70w in it.

I wish I got some time off for Covid.

Kurt

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015

Yeah this stuff never goes in as quick as the boxes arrive. I wanted to get back out before the first salt drops but reality is setting in. Might end up being the through the winter project. Right now I can drive the car...just can't stab the peddle fast or the clutch will slip. Never smelled any clutch burn but I could feel the rpms flash a little.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Alrighty....I've been really thinking about coil overs and trying to fill a cart. So far, I like the Strange adjustable front struts with Strange front coil over kit...200lb springs...and Maximum Motorsports rear IRS coil over kit with MM shocks with precut rings for coil over kit. I'd have to call them for a spring rate that matches. ( no adjustable rear shock for cobra from MM ). Only other adjustable rear shock is QA1 and all of theirs are sold out except 1....at JEGS. ( I think MM recommended 225lb springs for the front a while ago ).

I've installed a bunch of UPR kits and have not had any serious issues other than removing caps on struts and wrapping struts with electrical tape to avoid noises. One customer had rubbing issues with 14 inch springs ( rubbed the strut ).

Anyone have real world experience with coilovers ?

I used to be against them because of the transfer of weight to the top of the strut tower instead of the frame rail....but....I haven't seen any major issues on street driven or track cars.

eighty5fox

Sep 29, 2016
mass
I've ran a variety of different front coil overs on my fox in the last 10+ years I have owned my fox and never had any major issues. ran upr had no complaints, Viking, no issues and now I'm on maximum motorsports and absolutely love the way the ride. I don't remember what spring rate I went with and i am running them on 03/04 cobra Bilstein's.

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
No complaints about my MM coil-overs. Silent and ride damn well.

the shock tower taking the load thing did make me hesitate a bit, but after looking into it, I don’t think there’s really much of an issue. If you run stiff shocks, and hit a bunp, the top of the tower takes the load regardless of where the spring is located as the strut tries to stop that upward momentum.

ive never seen any failures, and I’ve looked. Given the amount of cars out there with varying degrees of frame rail rot being repaired, or still driving while missing half a rotted strut tower, and not seeing any cases of tower collapse, I’ve come to believe that front strut tower area is over engineered and distributes the load well.

At least that’s what I’ll believe so I can sleep easier at night

Last edited:

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I believe the towers are pretty solid, too.

The only thing is cost and effectiveness for me. The Strange are have 10 adjustments. The MM kit will work with them bit Strange makes the coilover kit specifically for their strut and its cheaper. Will be topped with my UPR caster / camber plates anyway.

If I go MM then I'll go all MM...but my pockets aren't that deep right now.