I do need to clean up some stuff... like this line lock. It's crazy how bad stuff can start to look just from sitting.

20200405_105009.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I swear man. This one stud has taken me an hour to get out the firewall. If I had a hack saw I would've cut it off. It's out now though.

20200405_122149.jpg

20200405_131648.jpg

I couldn't stand all the dirt...had to clean it up a bit. Might as well clean the firewall. Off to get some more supplies.

Reactions: 1 users
New booster is in. Just need to bleed the brakes. Other than putting everything back together.

20200405_171347.jpg

....I couldn't leave the wiper motor with peeling paint and rust.

20200405_171401.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I feel your pain. Without a doubt, that was the most frustrating job I’ve done. Test fit booster, won’t clear the upper intake. Remove intake. Test fit again, wont clear valve cover. Remove valve cover, dent strut tower, won’t fit. Slot holes in firewall, wont fit , slot some more, and on and on.

Theres always the manual brake option...it’s the option 2 out of 3 Mike’s recommend for mechanics that work on their own sht.

I tried to widened the holes in the firewall and cut all 4 of the studs down. The issue with my car is that the plastic spacer between the firewall and pedal bracket is broken. The whole time you are trying to put the studs through the pieces are moving around. The lady wiggled the booster and I had to go under the dash with a long flat head. PITA. Got it done though....that's all that matters, right.

Well... I've got more work ahead. I though my PCV valve grommet was leaking because I'm too lazy to use my scope to look behind the intake. Turns out my lower intake is leaking and making a mess.

20200405_193641.jpg

This is where I'll stop for the night.

20200405_200124.jpg

I understand completely, Mike. I really contemplated going hydroboost. Going manual would cost me too many pennies right now.

Got almost everything disconnected from the intake. I've got the heater hoses and bypass assembly left. The engine is at TDC and distributor is marked and out. The only issue I have is that I didn't put this engine together. A very reputable builder put it together and ported the lower and the heads. I have no idea what gaskets he used. That was a long time ago...probably about 10 years ago. The engine sat for about 7 before going in this car.

A friend of mine name Pole had this built before he passed away. Another friend bought it from his wife and I acquired it from him. It seems like it has regular grade 8 bolts in the lower. I'm not a big fan and I'm leaning towards ARP hardware....or allen head bolts.

Determined the knock in my steering is coming from the inner tie rod on the left side. Guess I'll be doing that, too. The rear ones need to be done as well. They are the factory ones and are bent ( comes from hard launches and sticky tires ).

Hopefully, this covid19 stuff doesn't affect my funds anytime soon.

Thought I was getting furloughed from my company along with the 15000 that did get cut today. Found out its work as usual for me. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad....but I'll keep moving on. The hours even stayed the same. We are here twittering our thumbs most of the day.

I got to run out and buy an adjustable wrench for the bypass pipe assembly so I can get the intake off. Also need a drain valve for my el cheapo radiator.

Last edited:
This is a testament that sometimes it's better to just do stuff yourself. This engine came from a reputable, very well known, performance engine builder. This is what I found....

20200408_181425.jpg

These are an assortment of parts bin bolts. Several of them are different lengths. This next picture shows that they aren't grade 8 either.

20200408_181430.jpg

This also has to be one of the cheapest paper gaskets. This would've been an issue, too. The coolant ports are partially blocked. Intake ports were ported and the gasket did not go into them.

20200408_183814.jpg

I'm so glad that I decided to tear into this. If I hadn't already been through the bottom end I'd have all types of questions.

• Wow
  • Sad
Lower intake gasket is ordered. Ordered a felpro 1250 3s. Hoping it fits. All the stores are closed when I get home during the week so I'm hoping I can catch Tractor Supply open so I can pick up some zinc plated grade 8 bolts. Clean up begins today. Gasket comes in Friday.

Cut some bolts to align the intake going back on. Cleaned up the heater tube stud.

20200409_112714.jpg

I found so many issues with the builder. He did use " Right Stuff " at the front and rear, but at the rear the bead went to about 1/16th thick on the intake side and was leaking. There were several spots where the gasket was hanging on with a thread around the intake ports. I'm surprised the boost didn't blow it out. He put sealer around the EGR passage that had hardened and was a PITA to get off. The coolant ports at the front had a light smear of " Right Stuff " but showed signs of leaking. The bolts in the corners up the front were both leaking at the intake gasket. Every once and a while I'd see coolant above the water pump but thought it was the thermostat housing leaking. I hadn't seen any new coolant in the last few months. Prestone must have a sealing agent that creates all that yellow nasty junk.

I had to strip the black paint up to the valve covers because the engine was painted assembled. That was a PITA with a razor blade, but it's done now.

Just waiting for the gasket tomorrow and after going through the valves Dusty will be going back together.

20200409_184154.jpg

The lower intake looked like someone dragged 80 grit sand paper across the bottom. I checked it with a straight edge and surprisingly its straight and it was sealing. Maybe he ran a coarse file across it to uncheck for warps....I don't know. All i know is that it'll be better now.

Reactions: 1 user
Picked up the gaskets. The 1250 3s is a hair small for the intake ports and the coolant area is too big. I think it'll work fine. I'll have to fill the area at the coolant passage with silicone to try to keep it from pitting in that spot. These Felpro gaskets are way better than the previous ones. If I trim the intake ports they'll be just about at the blue line. I don't think it'll make much of a difference leaving them alone.

20200410_180725.jpg

Here are the instructions that come with the gasket.

20200410_182358.jpg

I've done all those steps. In the morning I'll remove the intake, put some sealant on the intake side. This will be after a trip to Tractor Supply for bolts.

Whatever you do put sealant around the bolt holes on all four corner intake bolts. They do go in the coolant port and can leak. Also, put sealant on those bolts. Glad I caught this when I did. I would've had rusty corroded bolts and a pitted intake. That's a perfect recipe for a seized and broken grade 5 bolt.

I kinda like the raw aluminum look of the heads by the intake. I bought some engine enamel clear coat for it. I also bought some gloss black engine enamel to do some touch up. I want to strip the intake and repaint it but I need to make room for this.

Meet Black Betty. This is the wife's new project car. She doesn't want a bunch done. Just air bags, a 5.2 or 5.9 and a disc brake rear. I have a friend that has a 360 that was recently rebuilt and a 727 transmission. The car runs now with a flathead 6 and a 3 speed on the column.

20200410_211452.jpg

The front brakes have already been changed to disc. Needs a little love. Previous owner says it looses power sometimes and thinks the timing chain is stretched. He just put on dual Weber carburetors.

20200410_211514.jpg

That's enough 49 Plymouth for this page. At 3k we could not resist. She's in love for the first time in her life :cautious:

More updates on Dusty tomorrow.

That flat head has to pull a lot of weight around and believe me if it lost any power it would stop moving :jester:
There is a street in town here that has one of those radar speed signs and when I drive by in 'brand x' it posts question marks! Very irritating!!

That flat head has to pull a lot of weight around and believe me if it lost any power it would stop moving :jester:
There is a street in town here that has one of those radar speed signs and when I drive by in 'brand x' it posts question marks! Very irritating!!

Apparently putting a mopar v8 in is as simple as putting in motor mounts.

Got the bolts...

20200411_101059.jpg

Added four more little ones for the fuel rails.

I forgot what an old harness felt like. This thing was like trying to open an oyster that's been glued shut.

20200411_112146.jpg

Off to O'Reillys to pick up some more stuff.

This black paint is a real PITA. Hope I can get it looking decent before I put it back in.

The intake is painted back unchipped black.

20200411_143352.jpg

The harness is done too. I'd like to get into the harness at the firewall but that'll have to wait.

20200411_134555.jpg

I gotta to have Dusty running by tonite. Big plans in the AM.

Last edited:
Well...as y'all know there is always something unexpected. I had to loosen my alternator to get the belt off. This is what I had to go through.

20200411_165357.jpg

I don't know how I did it but, apparently, I had a 5/16 bolt in the alternator. It was a hair smaller than the bushing in the heims joint. That thing was a second away from flying out. There were no threads left. Off to the bolt bucket and I found the perfect 3/8 bolt. Dang, where's my tap kit ? :chin

I found it....in the last place I'd look...my tool box.

All gooder...

20200411_171758.jpg

Now time to so some more fun stuff....yay !