Build Thread Dusty's Slow Progress To Greatness...

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Took dusty out to get some fuel and got stranded weekend before last. Was a beautiful sunday to be stuck.

10937.jpeg

Before I left out the battery was dead. Hooked the charger up and figured the car would charge the battery on the drive to the gas station ( I was wrong ). Pulled up to the wrong side and went to restart to turn car around and bam....no start. A couple guys helped push me to a pump and push started me. No one had jumper cables.

The kid in this photo didn't help ( unbeknownst to me )....so...car started but I had to turn around to pick him up....i stalled the clutch. Was left sitting....the guys slowly backed away. Lol. No more down hill to pop the clutch so we were stranded. Had to call the ole lady. She picked us up in her new truck...swapped into the Taurus...and got'em back up and running.

20190825_113717.jpg

Charged the battery on the trickle charger for a couple hours and charge held all week.

Almost 19k on Magnetica. Had her in for an oil change...

20190829_094447.jpg

Nothing else new going on.

• Sponsors(?)

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Does that year fox not have the little arrow on the gas gauge to tell you what side the filler is?
there was a discussion somewhere around here about that.
You wish it had a little arrow to remind you. :cool:

Actually, I was looking at my son play a game on his phone the entire time we rode. What is it with these kids ? My other kids would've never taken their eyes off of the road or the other people looking at us. This one was absolutely glued to the phone the e-n-t-i-r-e time. He had me a little pissed so I wasn't thinking clearly. It'll be a long time before he cruises with me again. The little sh#t breaks all the rules....even talks through my favorite jams that I blast in the car. This kid isn't a car guy..... I'm cool with that.

• Haha
Reactions: Davedacarpainter

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015

Olivethefet

Slap me as well as point and laugh
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
I've got a jump pack like that. Handy. Just remember to check its battery regularly. Mine will go dead after a few months. Might be the brand, but a dead jump box will just make you mad when you need it!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 90sickfox

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Seaside, CA
I was thinking about ordering one of these myself
Check out the DBpower 600A charger, too. It's winning a lot of the budget reviews. It's a little cheaper than the noco, but so far the noco is probably the way I'm going.

@Olivethefet The noco jump packs claim to last a year between charges when unused...

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivethefet

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Seaside, CA
That's just an instantaneous rating. The 3 second joules rating is 22,500. That converts to an average of 625 amps at 12 volts over 3 seconds. This is clearly enough to get the job done, though, as I've seen it starting 7.3 powerstrokes and IDIs on youtube without any other battery hooked up. That's pretty badass testament to it, IMO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NslRk5tlZo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOjEtO-YJs&list=PLp14lzXh07uld1iYCtGabRfGas01vFCmM
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5kh4-4XNE

I bought one a couple weeks ago, after I was unable to haul a friend's car up since my trailer's winch battery was dead. A mutual friend pulled out the 2000A version, and it saved the day. Convinced me. I figured it for good insurance in the truck, trailer, and I'll have it with me any time I'm out racing or camping.

I'm planning to leave it in the truck's tool box. It's unnecessarily big and powerful to start a small car, but I still want something small I can throw in a car center console or trunk. So, I'm looking at these other smaller ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Had time to make a dash to the local Pick A Part. For the fine price of $20.82 I hot junk yard treasure.

The mirror came off of a 2011 Subaru Outback and has garage door opener, compass, auto dimming, and camera screen. The vacuum pump came from a 2012? Chevy Cruze. It was buried below the brake booster but submitted to me right before the rain started.

20190928_122554.jpg

The easiest way to tell if the car has a camera screen mirror is with a flash light. Works every time.

20190928_122612.jpg

I've got several cameras and will find a suitable one to go in the front bumper. The front end is so low I really want to be able to see the lip as I approach obstacles. Thinking about using a momentary switch mounted in the shifter to activate.

The vacuum pump is for my low vacuum camshaft. Its recommended by CompCams for anyone running the xe282hr. It only pulls 8-9 in.hg. at idle. Makes the brakes a little stiff after a couple hard braking events.

We'll see how this goes. I've got to order a vacuum switch to wire into the included pump relay.

Unless I can control it with my mspnp2. A91what ....what do ya think. Seems I should be able to set up a threshold for cutting the relay on and off wired to appropriate IO. Megasquirt can do just about anything.

Reactions: RaggedGT

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Now to the vacuum pump. These things run through a 20amp fuse in the factory fuse box of a cruze ( or any other ecotec powered chevy ). There are 2 wires running from the factory relay that plugs into the connector.

20190928_171432.jpg

Coming out of this are 3 wires...red / white ( batt + ) black ( batt - ) and brown ( relay trigger ). Should be a pull down relay meaning that it energizes using ground to switch it.

20190928_171941.jpg

I'm planning on mounting it in the passenger corner where all my emissions stuff used to be.

20190928_171902.jpg

I've got a little bit to figure out. On the cars these things come on there is a pressure sensor that plugs into the booster. It sits in a little grommet. Going to see if I can pull up the technical info I need to wire one to my megasquirt. If not I'll use an aftermarket vacuum switch and call it done. It'll cut the pump off at around 17.84 inhg.

Screenshot_20190928-173159_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Got this camera hooked up. Wasn't too bad. Used the spot for the trunk lock rivet, an old angled switch mount, and a little 5/16 grommet I had laying around.

I really hat drillng through a trunk lid....but this one has a couple issues and the hoke is where it won't be seen. I have two cameras that are supposed to go in the trunk lock hole but after taking the lock out they won't fit without irreversible modifications.

Here's a pic of the camera. The mirror mounting tab has to sit for 24hrs before the mirror can be hung....but all the wiring is done.

20190929_180622.jpg

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I love the utility of this, my daily's got came with one and I don't want to go back to not having one.
It's really not hard. Most manufacturers deal with Gentech for their rear view mirrors. Everyone from gm to toyota. The only differences are the other options. They use different colors for the compass and stuff. Some of them have ambient air temperature readouts. Most manufacturers also use the same square rear view camera....they just screw it into different shaped housings with different connectors.