Dyno numbers

I dynoed my car a few weeks ago just to see where I was at. The horsepower is where it should be but the torque seems low. What do you guys think?

MODS:
Timing set to 16 degrees
40psi fuel pressure (I was a little lean, around 13.5 to 1)
Removed Air silencer
K&N Filter
76mm C&L w/ aluminum elbow
MSD distributor
MSD coil
MSD wires
NGK u groove plugs gapped at .056
Underdrive pulleys
Offroad X pipe
Magnaflow mufflers dumped before axle

If it's not listed as a mod consider it stock and original.

I put out-

216 rwhp @ 5060 rpms
255 rwtq @ 3750 rpms

There is 130,000 miles on the engine.

• Sponsors (?)

Fox Saleen 163 said:
I dynoed my car a few weeks ago just to see where I was at. The horsepower is where it should be but the torque seems low. What do you guys think?

MODS:
Timing set to 16 degrees
40psi fuel pressure (I was a little lean, around 13.5 to 1)
Removed Air silencer
K&N Filter
76mm C&L w/ aluminum elbow
MSD distributor
MSD coil
MSD wires
NGK u groove plugs gapped at .056
Underdrive pulleys
Offroad X pipe
Magnaflow mufflers dumped before axle

If it's not listed as a mod consider it stock and original.

I put out-

216 rwhp @ 5060 rpms
255 rwtq @ 3750 rpms

There is 130,000 miles on the engine.

actually that sounds about exactly where it should be, you'll loose quite a bit of torque with and offroad pipe on a realtively stock motor

Those numbers seen a little low especially the tq like you said. Mine with over 140K miles and only mods being underdrives, 14 degree's timing and restrictive flowmast mufflers and running rich made the numbers in my sig. I made more tq than you. Since then my fuel pump whines and the valves are worn more and the car is a dog. I would do a leakdown test to see what condition you motor is in. Were you gettting any detonation with being so lean and the timing so high?

1BadCHP- You know what I think about that. Good thing your car handles like a school bus and stops like an aircraft carrier.

Kid wita 5oh- Yeah I didn't think about losing torque with the offroad pipe.

Rieman- My fuel pump sounds like a train wistle. I have a new one waiting to go in, probably install it next weekend. If I was getting detonation I would retard the timing. I also added a two pounds of fuel pressure since then. The X pipe is probably why I have more horsepower than you but less torque. Not to mention how much dynos usually vary from one another. What gear was your car dynoed in?

Oh well... I have a Cobra intake, 65mm TB and FMS 1 5/8" ceramic shortie headers all waiting to go in. We'll see where it is after that. I'm also looking at a Dr Gas X pipe to replace the cheapy I have now.

Give me more opinions!

Alright, I checked the compression on my engine last night. Lowest reading was 146 and the highest was 155. Most of the cyclinders were spot on 150 though. Is this good for a high mileage engine? I wasn't sure about doing a leak down, but all of the cylinders held their pressure good. All of the plugs appeared to be burning really well and identical to eachother.

On a positive note, before I re-installed all the plugs I regapped them to .054, cleaned all of the contacts on the distributor and coil, cleaned the MAF sensor and reset my timing. I also made sure I heard and felt the "click" when I put the plug wires back on. The good news, the car seems to be running stronger than ever. Not sure what it was, but I like it.

A question about timing... I know that advancing your timing can add horsepower, but what does it do to torque? Does it move where peak hp and tq are? Or does it just amplify everything in the same position? My car doesn't detonate at 16* timing, but could it hurt anything?