Dyno predictions game :)

welp, time to face the music. i haven't scanned the sheet yet, but the numbers were.... 255 rwhp, 300 rwtq. owie The curve was roughly where you thought it would be... pulled until 6000 with a peak at 5800. However the torque curve peaked really early... about 3500 there's a spike and then it falls back... the owner of the shop was somewhat surprised.

however, there were some easy fixes (well, some of the fixes are easy). One, its running ridiculously lean. About a steady 14.5 AFR after 2500 rpm. If I get that down to 12.5-13 with a new jet kit, that has to help. Also, the timing still isn't right... the dyno shop owner said he could tell it wasn't idling right and didn't think it was advancing far enough once it got rolling. I might need some sort of more accurate distributor etc.

One other minor thing... the parking brake was on :( Well, I believe it was anyway. I drove teh car on top of the dyno and set the brake, the shop owner got in and dynoed it, and when I backed it off the brake was still on. Coupled with all the smoke (at the time I thought it was all burnt oil, combined with some of the oil on my mufflers burning off). I would have asked for another pull but the dyno bay was so smokey from that and burned oil I decided I just wanted to get the girl home.

Which was the final issue, and one that can't get fixed quick... it is burning a ton of oil. Right now it has some high mileage synthetic blend stuff in it (10w30)... I'm goign to have to change that to 10w40 pure dino oil, because the amount of oil burnage was ridiculous. Kinda bummed about this because it wasn't going through much if any oil very long ago, really hope my heads don't have a messed head gasket or anything and its just a worn out block. Hopefully heavier oil will slow it down some. Can't imagine this helps with compression either.

In any case, I'll be tuning it and going back, hopefully with slightly better results.

One cool thing... there were some pretty mean cars at this place. The owner had an AWD 07 or 08 Trailblazer SS that had a Vortech on it making 600+ to the wheels, and right before my car he dynoed C6, also supercharged, that put 509 to the wheels and he was disappointed with it.

So yeah, I suppose 68EFIVert owes TD68302 a 6 pack. Get on that :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Wouldn't this be the furthest from actual since I had to revise mine to the 1/10th.:shrug:

Take care of the little things and I am sure the next time you dyno it you will be much happier.

I posted that as a joke, but Ill submit to the courts ruling on this one....

if you guys want me to buy the 6 pack and send it to whoever won...I will....

quick question...can I just send the guy the going rate of a 6 pack via pay pal instead....

I think shipping the 6 pack will be more then the cost of it...LOL

quick question...can I just send the guy the going rate of a 6 pack via pay pal instead....

well, part of the idea would be it would be kind of fun to get a 6 pack in the mail, particularly if people were serious and maybe went out and got a local microbrew or something. i've done similar things on other boards and its usually cool. this forum might be too dead for it. I will be dynoing again in a few weeks/month etc if we want to try again.

A Holley rep (when replying about what jet I should go up to... he said a '68', being that I have a '65' now. that sound right to the holley experts in here?) said he might try 20w50 oil... anyone else concur? Right now its all 10w30 with a dab of 5w30 to top it off (just what was around and I needed the extra half quart... its probably all burned off now lol). I'm assuming probably not, but any random snake oils that might be worth a shot?

A compression test would be a good call, hopefully the burning is just due to me using oil thats too light but it'd tell me for sure I suppose. I did overheat pretty bad coming home about a month ago, I suppose it coulda messed up the head gasket.

I said that as a joke as well. Heck the guy that won hasn't even spoke up yet. Lets see what happens and if he doesn't step up within in a day lets buy the beer for ourselves. :D

Dude, I don't want to sound negative or anything, but I'm wondering about that .060 overbore that you said you have in the first post. I hope they really, really sonic checked the heck out of that block before they went that far. It can lead to overheating and cylinder wall instability (poor sealing). COULD be why your loosing so much oil.

I've seen a lot of publications that say you should NEVER go .060 over in a SBF (Windsor block that is). Doesn't mean that it's your problem, but I am very suspicious. Most of the oil burning I've experienced with SBF's has been going down the valve guides. How old are those Twisted Wedge heads? The early heads had big problems with the valve guides.

Dude, I don't want to sound negative or anything, but I'm wondering about that .060 overbore that you said you have in the first post. I hope they really, really sonic checked the heck out of that block before they went that far. It can lead to overheating and cylinder wall instability (poor sealing). COULD be why your loosing so much oil.

I've seen a lot of publications that say you should NEVER go .060 over in a SBF (Windsor block that is). Doesn't mean that it's your problem, but I am very suspicious. Most of the oil burning I've experienced with SBF's has been going down the valve guides. How old are those Twisted Wedge heads? The early heads had big problems with the valve guides.

Well, I'm sure the block isn't ideal. My dad got it from autozone (not exactly the best place to get longblocks) 3-4 years ago. However it never really burned oil until recently (post head/intake/cam install). And yeah, I know .060 over is the limit... never heard of SBFs having issues at .060 though. I've always planned on a new block eventually but that'll have to wait until I have my own place in a few eyars.

Got the trick flow heads used this summer. Previous owner said only about 1,000 miles on em but obviuosly that could be fudged and he didnt give me an age.

I'll try heavier oil and the stabilizer. Thanks.

heck the guy that won hasn't even spoke up yet. Lets see what happens and if he doesn't step up within in a day lets buy the beer for ourselves. :D[/QUOTE]

68EFIvert
No worry's about the beer, buy The six pack for yourself, I will buy one and we will have a toast to all Mustangs. Enjoy.

Sad But Ture
Don't worry about the dyno numbers that's all they are, is numbers. If you are happy driving it, that's all that count's. I hate mine most of the time, the bondo is filling out of the quarters that I did 17 years ago, I think that it runs like s#$ most of the time, But when I'm driving it, all that goes away. I run 20w-50 in mine.

TD68302 if you change your mind speak up and I will fulfill my obligation. I am more of a Diet Coke or Dr Pepper guy so cheers to all Mustangs.

SadbutTrue I had a 66 once that had bad ring blow by and I used straight 30wt and it helped. It was bad enough I was going through a qt of oil ever 100 miles or so. What made it kind of funny but expensive was I was moving from Alaska to Idaho for college. Oil was very expensive in Canada but I killed the bugs for 2,500 miles. :)

Damn I would have been close if I got here in time, I was looking at your build and you said that a lack of tuning would hurt and I was going to guess 290whp and 315wtq. Oh well, mess around with that thing man, there is alot more power to be had IMO. I would think you could pull north of 330whp and 360+wtq.

Damn I would have been close if I got here in time, I was looking at your build and you said that a lack of tuning would hurt and I was going to guess 290whp and 315wtq. Oh well, mess around with that thing man, there is alot more power to be had IMO. I would think you could pull north of 330whp and 360+wtq.

thanks all for the encouraging words. and yeah, i'm not that bummed about it and had a feeling it wasn't going to make the #'s some on here had quoted (hence my 280 rwhp/300 tq guess... i was right one with torque!). basically, i know my SV650 is supposed to be a 12 second bike when driven perfectly and i could feel it was faster from 20-80 by a decent margin.

I do know that I've see 331s, 347s, and 351s with similar builds make upwards of 430 hp at the flywheel in magazines. But I also know thats with all brand new parts, ideal tuning, and the works. My pistons being fairly low compression and my block being at least somewhat worn were gonig to hurt me no matter what.

Eventually I will replace this block and get some nice forged 10:1 pistons and that combo will probably make all the power that some people were predicting earlier. In the meantime I have to try to get it to stop slurping oil like a drunken prom date and get it jetted/timed right, heh.

SadbutTrue I had a 66 once that had bad ring blow by and I used straight 30wt and it helped. It was bad enough I was going through a qt of oil ever 100 miles or so. What made it kind of funny but expensive was I was moving from Alaska to Idaho for college. Oil was very expensive in Canada but I killed the bugs for 2,500 miles. :)

Funny story. :rlaugh: Take that Canada...