Fox Dynomax Catback.

SLP LM1's or Dynomax Ultra flo?

• SLP

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Dynomax

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't have the catback but I do have the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers welded in to the stock catback. I also have JBA shorty headers and a BBK H pipe. The Dynomax mufflers were on the car when I bought it and my first instinct was to rip them off for something "better" but they actually sound pretty good. About like 2 chamber Flowmasters only a little deeper and without as much drone.

After typing all this it just clicked in my head that your were asking about the Ultra Flo not the Super Turbos. I haven't heard those but I have heard plenty of SLPs and don't really care for the sound.

The SLP resonators are one degree away from being a redneck "straight pipe" system with the terrible sound you'd expect.

I've used Dynomax tailpipes and flow tubes before and can say that they fit very well. Check youtube if you want to hear some sound clips of the mufflers you're looking at.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to slightly derail and throw another brand up- I’ve been considering the Gibson MWA mufflers-
A9622580-4310-45E4-A299-EA228FE9A087.jpeg

I’ve not heard any in person. But I like the design idea lol

I don't have the catback but I do have the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers welded in to the stock catback. I also have JBA shorty headers and a BBK H pipe. The Dynomax mufflers were on the car when I bought it and my first instinct was to rip them off for something "better" but they actually sound pretty good. About like 2 chamber Flowmasters only a little deeper and without as much drone.

After typing all this it just clicked in my head that your were asking about the Ultra Flo not the Super Turbos. I haven't heard those but I have heard plenty of SLPs and don't really care for the sound.

Okay, cool. Ill also check the super turbos and look those up on youtube.

Of the three, the Super Turbos sound the best IMO. I didn't like Ultra Flows much when I had them, and I've never heard an SLP system that sounded good to me.

Okay, i was just wondering about people’s opinions. Its kinda hard to tell on youtube with the slp on how they sound, cause their so dang loud, lol. Thanks for the info though.

Just to slightly derail and throw another brand up- I’ve been considering the Gibson MWA mufflers-
A9622580-4310-45E4-A299-EA228FE9A087.jpeg

I’ve not heard any in person. But I like the design idea lol

Hmm, ill check those out! Thanks for reccommending man.

Kind of a weird that you are up in the air between those two options; there couldn't be two more different muffler choices on the planet. The SLPs are loud and obnoxious, and the Dynomax UltraFlow SS mufflers are about as quiet as you can get. The performance difference between the two is negligible. I run UltraFlows because I like it quiet and there is no drone. Some prefer the Super Turbo mufflers from Dynomax, but they do suffocate the flow more than the UltraFlows. I've had the same UltraFlows on my car for 18 years now, and they still look like new if that helps any. All the Flowbastards I ever had rusted out in 4 years.

Kurt

Kind of a weird that you are up in the air between those two options; there couldn't be two more different muffler choices on the planet. The SLPs are loud and obnoxious, and the Dynomax UltraFlow SS mufflers are about as quiet as you can get. The performance difference between the two is negligible. I run UltraFlows because I like it quiet and there is no drone. Some prefer the Super Turbo mufflers from Dynomax, but they do suffocate the flow more than the UltraFlows. I've had the same UltraFlows on my car for 18 years now, and they still look like new if that helps any. All the Flowbastards I ever had rusted out in 4 years.

Kurt

Cool, Im leaning more towards dynomax, i just wanted opinions, thanks for sharing!

Replaced my Pypes Violators because I wanted something with less drone and a little more mellow tone.
Went with the Ultraflows and now I can talk in the car at 2-3k rpm and the sound is more refined,
happy with my choice.

I use the ultraflo welded muffler catback. The chrome ones are cheesy.
Fits good, sounds good, although I still have my days where I wish it were quieter.
Very little drone.
Fit's with a panhard bar right out of the box.

SLP, forget about it. All they simply do is make it loud.

Reactions: 1 user
The test of a good performance muffler is usually simple. Take the muffler out of the box and drop your car keys in one end. If they come out the other then it's usually a good muffler. If your keys don't come out the other end, well :poo:, I guess you call a tow truck. Bottom line is that a lot of muffler companies throw all kinds of baffles in there to make it sound more aggressive, but it doesn't do anything for performance, and usually it makes the mufflers drone at highway speed too.

Kurt

I am in the same boat wanting to change exhaust systems and have spent probably hours scouring the internet trying to come up with a good decision. I would have to agree with most here, although I have never heard SLP in person what I have heard online sounds like it would be a little much for a daily driver or for some even a weekend car. It is always hard to tell online especially trying to find one with a similar level of upgrades with the exhaust system you want to hear.

Right now I have the Flowmaster Force 2 Cat Back Exhaust that the car came with. I do have to say other than not being as loud as I would like it to be it does sounds quite nice and doesn't have any of the droan Flowmaster is known for. Because of this I was thinking of just going to a similar Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system, but my constant searching and discussing with people lead me to the MAC system here: http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/303584/658781

That is for the GT, but I think they make the same system for the LX too. Just a thought. MAC seems to be a much lesser known system but I haven`t encountered anyone yet that doesn`t like the sound (supposed to be really deep and mellow at adle and normal driving like an old muscle car but really start to scream when pushed). The only negatives I have heard about them is that some of MAC`s stuff rusts out apparently, but I have also heard that they have fixed this old problem so I don`t know. Other than that, build quality seems good, they even have that balljoint type connection for added adjustability when installing.

Here are some LX options off thier webpage: http://www.shop.macperformance.com/Cat-Back-Pro-Dump-Systems_c221.htm

Mac sounds just like flowmaster, in some cases you can't even tell them apart.
Calling their build quality questionable would be an understatement.
I wouldn't use anything they make again even if they gave it to me for free and paid me to use it.

Last edited: