E-brake stuck

So it has been really cold the past 2 days where I live.... So cold that last night - the e-brake didnt fully release when it was supposed to!

Since last night - if I used the e-brake it does not release fully and my car seems to want to come to stop while I drive it... After a few minutes the resistance goes away... I am guessing this is because the brake bad had wore away...

I am pretty concerned about this... Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this something I can fix or is the problem bigger which Ford has to fix for me?

Thanks everyone...

2006 GT Manual....

• Sponsors (?)

I have not heard about this on the '06 models but this is a common problem on the '05s. The problem is a bad parking brake cable that lets water in and then freezes up. Ford has a TSB out and will replace the cables for free if you take it in. They just recently did this on my car. All the work is done under the car and takes about two hours.

I have the same problem on my '07. I brought it in once telling them they froze but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem so they didn't do it :rolleyes: Now I have to bring it in again and tell them to just do it and replace what needs to be.

A temporary fix is to just park with the car in gear. Or if you have to use the e-brake you can wiggle the cables after you release it in front of the rear wheels under the car and that should free up the cables and release the brake.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am not to happy about this.... This TSB says for Mustangs made before 10/1/05... I have an 2006 so I am not to sure if it was made before this date.

Does the ebrake cable run on both sides of the car? Also - what does it look like?

Thanks again.
Nick

Does the ebrake cable run on both sides of the car? Also - what does it look like?

Thanks again.
Nick

Installed_400.jpg

the cable runs thru the factory control arms, on both sides. in the pic above, its the black cable hanging below the red control arm.

Happened on my '07 with an April build date... cables replaced under warrenty, but I don't know what that will help since the car was already assembled with the "new" cables. I just don't use the parking brake now in cold weather - it was too much of a hassel just to get the car to a dealer and the day without it sucked.

I've been having the same type of problem. I don't ever leave the parking brake on, just leave it in gear. But I do sometimes sit in the car with it running, so I put the e brake on while I sit... And since it's been cold, once in a while when I release the parking brake about 5 seconds later I hear a loud BANG. Sounds to me like the parking brake is releasing itself abruptly causing the sound.

Nick

I've been having the same type of problem. I don't ever leave the parking brake on, just leave it in gear. But I do sometimes sit in the car with it running, so I put the e brake on while I sit... And since it's been cold, once in a while when I release the parking brake about 5 seconds later I hear a loud BANG. Sounds to me like the parking brake is releasing itself abruptly causing the sound.

Nick

is it while moving? i get a similar bang when backing out of the driveway. i took it in for that noise about a year ago, and thats why i got the cables. still makes the sound. i have not ever been able to reproduce it on demand though, so its hard to troubleshoot. my warranty is up in about 2 weeks, so i dont know if i am going to take it in or not. dealerships dont have a good record of fixing things on my car.

is it while moving? i get a similar bang when backing out of the driveway. i took it in for that noise about a year ago, and thats why i got the cables. still makes the sound. i have not ever been able to reproduce it on demand though, so its hard to troubleshoot. my warranty is up in about 2 weeks, so i dont know if i am going to take it in or not. dealerships dont have a good record of fixing things on my car.

Sometimes it will do it before I start to move... but I do believe it made the same sound when I backed up one time.

Nick