E-fan with stock shroud how-to, check it out!

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Credit for this one goes to my buddy fordfan who thought up the idea. Basically you just cut up one of the many OEM electric fans and mount it inside the stock fan shroud. The idea here is that the stock shroud fits the radiator perfectly and will distribute cool air better than without it. It also works well for anyone who likes to keep things stock looking or a little stealthy. If nothing else it's something to do with a stock shroud when you upgrade to an e-fan.

We used the Taurus fan because they're so easy to find. I test fitted a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and it fits even better but they're not very common around here (the one i got already burned up).

Here's the stock fan where i've started to cut it out. It's a good idea to remove the motor and fan blade so you don't hit them while cutting:
P6290047.jpg

You don't have to be real perfect with the cut, since you won't see it. I used a jigsaw which really wasn't ideal but it was a lot faster than using a dremel:
P6290048.jpg

Here's the finished cut out center (minus motor and blades):
P6290049.jpg

Now, the way we mounted them was by using 3 inch bolts and 2 nuts on each one. It takes some measuring and you'll need to drill holes just right to make it work right so take your time. In the end it looks something like this:
P6290050.jpg

I used the bolts with the flat head (or just flat head screwdriver headed bolts) and slid them in from the inside of the center section of the fan so they're nice and low profile and the blades won't hit them. Then i used a nut on each side of the shroud. I would recommend using nylon lock nuts or at least lock washers. The beauty of this is that the fan is solid inside and if you do it right it's not going anywhere. Then, if you end up burning out the fan motor you don't have to replace anything, just get another fan and swap the motors out and you're good to go.

Here's the in-car shots:
P7020053.jpg

Be careful where you mount the fan so that 1) the blades aren't sitting against the radiator once installed, and 2) you have plenty of clearance between the fan motor and water pump pulley.
P7020054.jpg

P7020055.jpg

If i can get my hands on another Mark VIII van i'm going to swap it out, since the circle section is much larger and fills the shroud a lot better, but the Taurus fan has no problem cooling even a well modded engine so either one is good.

Hope this helps someone! Feel free to put this thread in the useful tech sticky.

• Sponsors (?)

Great

Great writeup ! :nice:

Very clean, I like the near stock look.

This is probably how I will mount mine if/when I do. I have a DCC and Taurus fan in the garage collecting dust.

I've been running without any fan (big aluminum radiator) at all for the past 2 weeks though and have yet to have temps increase from what they were before so no motivation. :shrug:

Great pics.

i was asking a buddy yesterday if there was an e-fan that used the stock shroud, good thinking. what do you use to make it operate at a given temp?

i was asking a buddy yesterday if there was an e-fan that used the stock shroud, good thinking. what do you use to make it operate at a given temp?

We both use one of those simple adjustable controllers that has the probe that goes into the upper rad. hose. It wires into the ground of the fan and has a dial where you can turn it up or down. It's real basic and pretty much a trial and error as far as what temp it actually comes on at. Not the best controller but very simple and i think was only $30.

He's drove his car to work plenty of times and that's about 25 miles, and his engine is a 380hp 347, he's never had cooling problems.

LOL, I've got a setup like that on my Montego. I stuffed a factory fan in the fan shroud...:nice: Stealthy too...:D I used a '96 Crown Vic police electric fan, it's already a round housing...you can also find them on Grand Marquis too...it's the electric fan that compliments the engine driven one. I used a Mark VIII motor/blade because the CV motor was noisy.

Looks nice it also looks like its time for the 3 core aluminum rad. It has a sleeper feel to it. kinda like hidden nitrous or turbo but milder. I always like the writeup of the sleeper mustang in 5.0 mag a few years back. This definitely has that feel.

is he using the taurus fan or the mark 8 fan?

We're both using the Taurus fan but he also has a 3 core on the 347. I think the Mark VIII fan would be better since it's bigger and would fill up the space in the shroud better, but the Taurus fan is no slouch and works just fine, it's just a little smaller.

On a side note, if you look at the positioning of the fan, it's not exactly center of the shroud's circle...that's deliberate. The reason is that the circle of the shroud is actually up higher than the center of the radiator...so dropping the fan down puts it more in the center of the radiator.

lol, I sat my stock fan shroud on top of my MK VIII fan, I thought about making a thread on it a couple of weeks ago.

Yes the VIII fan fits nicely within the stock shroud, but I was just afraid to cut up my 'rare' fan, I also picked up a Taurus fan just incase the Lincoln fan didnt fit, it only cost me $22 for the pair.

Looking at my pic right now it looks like I could cut it and put some weatherstrip around the 3/4" ish gap between the fan and shroud and secure it with bolts like your friend did, but I was afraid of the clearance between the fan motor and WP; then I would have a cut up peice of junk.
fans.jpg

This will for sure work with the Mark VIII, you just have to cut out the fan part like i did, then install the fan shroud and put the fan section inside and just get a good visual image of where to position the fan inside the shroud. If you think about it, if the Mark VIII will fit when you trim it's own shroud, then it'll fit with the stock shroud mod too. I would've preferred the VIII but i couldn't find another one.

My problem is I have a 3 row radiator, I know you can put a Mark fan in with a 3 row with some trimming, but I need to do some type of measuring to see if I can get the Mark fan with the stock shroud in without trimming the stock shroud for WP clearance, if that makes sense.

I wonder if my SN95 fan will fit this way?

I never liked the look of it on my radiator since it looked "added on" I still have my stock shroud. Maybe i'll give it a try. It also lets me reuse my factory coolant bottle

My problem is I have a 3 row radiator, I know you can put a Mark fan in with a 3 row with some trimming, but I need to do some type of measuring to see if I can get the Mark fan with the stock shroud in without trimming the stock shroud for WP clearance, if that makes sense.

Well, my buddy's car also has a 3 core and his fits. When he first did this, he mounted the fan too far "out" of the shroud and had clearance problems...i think he just unbolted the motor and put it on the other side of the "web" and that fixed his problem. Knowing this ahead of time, i went out and did what i said before and put the shroud in the car and then slid the fan web section and motor in and checked on how far IN the shroud (towards the rad) i could go without hitting the blades against the radiator...that's the most important thing. I would bet that as long as you're as far inside the shroud as you can be, you won't have clearance issues. The motors (Taurus and Mark VIII) are pretty much the same thickness...the clearance issue related to the Mark fan is the depth of the stock shroud it comes with. Lastly, what you can do is offset the fan to one side or the other so that the water pump pulley and fan motor aren't nose-so-nose on each other, and that should get you in ok.

I wonder if my SN95 fan will fit this way?

I never liked the look of it on my radiator since it looked "added on" I still have my stock shroud. Maybe i'll give it a try. It also lets me reuse my factory coolant bottle

That's one of the big reason i did this. I can't stand the carb overflow tanks that sit on the inner fender, so i wanna get an EFI style overflow and mount it on the shroud. The downside for me is that my washer fluid is half of my overflow tank, so i'll have to figure out something else to do there (and i can't use the EFI style washer tank that goes in the fender because my breather tubes for the carb breather uses that hole). Probably what i'm gonna do is find a small jug that i can put the washer pump motor in and fab up my own washer tank and hide it somewhere...like maybe down inside the cowl pan area somewhere.

Since this was bumped up, i feel it's my responsibility to reiterate on just how important placement of the fan in the shroud is....my buddy (fordfan, the guy who thought this up) just ruined a 3 core radiator because his was just BARELY touching the radiator and it wore a hole in it. It's fixable, but still a huge hassle. The thing you have to take into consideration is even though the fan may not be physically touching the radiator while not running, the force of the fan spinning (especially the Mark fans since they're so damn strong) is going to pull the fan into/towards the radiator, so you really need to measure and double check your placement or it's gonna cost ya. The same thing can/will happen with the Mark VIII/Tbird fans if you trim too much of the shroud off.

I'm currently running just a trimmed down 4.6 Tbird fan (same as the Mark but a 2 speed). I showed my shroud setup to a guy at the track and he liked it so much he traded me a set of Lakewood lowers for it...i couldn't pass that up.