E-mail notifications "New Linkback....."

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hello,

Unless I missed the boat (likely I did - no coffee yet), I did a quick search and didn't see any threads about this topic. In my email inbox this morning, I had a bunch of emails with the title "New Linkback to post......" where the thread title was listed after the word "post."

I checked my SN user-panel settings (none of which had I touched since about the time of the last revamp) and couldn't find any settings relevant to this. Obviously these links go to some really old threads. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there something I can do to make this stop?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Hey Matt,

Thank you for the reply. :nice:

I think I probably did reply to all the threads (I had on a few that I checked) but no one has bumped the threads for a long time. Here's an example of a link in the emails that I get (maybe the linkback portion at the end of the URL means something to ya):

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/793533-92-gt-5-0-overheating.html#linkbacks

I haven't received any new notifications, sans for this thread and a PM notification. Both were normal. Maybe it was a one-time thing or it's an issue on my end. I had simply wanted to start a thread (or add to one if another existed) in case anyone else had a similar experience.

Well, I do believe that I'm responsible for it happening, and it the emails probably happened to multiple other members, too. It never occurred to me that it would email members about the linkbacks and I was screwing around approving them, because there was 300+ pages worth of unapproved linkbacks from other sites, so I thought "hey, why not clean this up?" Needless to say, I won't be doing that again. My apologies, sir. :)

No apologies necessary Mr Matt. I/we appreciate your hard work. :hail2:

I don't even know what a linkback is. Like I'd said, I just wanted to share the experience to see if it was something I did or something I could change.

It's been really slow where I post and I've only received a couple of notifications since yesterday morning, but they've been normal and I've not had any more linkbacks emails. I think ya got it all fixed up. :nice:

I'd gladly receive stuff like that if it's a byproduct of you cleaning things up. Your efforts in keeping things running smoothly around here (along with all the other staff) is much appreciated. :)

Linkbacks are basically an acknowledegment between sites of a link to each other. It's configured to not show them until they're approved by staff. Well, I just happened to notice there was a million of them that were awaiting approval, so I started approving them. Unbeknownst to me, it was sending emails out because of that, so I'm sure a bunch of people got flooded with messages about new linkbacks. I don't believe I'll approve any more of them. You shouldn't get any more emails, since no more will get approved. :D