E303 or B303 Cam? and other Questions.

89RedFoxGT

Nov 2, 2006
jackson, TN
Whicn one should I go with? Now my motors stock, I got it all tore apart now cause it has water in the oil, the head gaskets are good, motors brand new from autozone and the guy said the lifter broke and had to replace it and after he put it back together it started smokin white smoke so he drained the oil re did the intake gasket thinking he might not have got them on right and it still mixed so he changed the oil put fresh oil in it and let it sit. all the gaskets are good so I'm carrying the heads to get them checked tomorrow. the block and everything looks good no cracks anywere that i can see on the block,intake or heads so im guesin its got cracked head. all the cyclinders have carbon build up on the driver side head but the last one (closest to the firewall) and its rusted so I'm just guessing and saying theres a problem with something there. When it starts to warm up a little im gonna put gt40 heads or some kind of aftermarket heads and intake on it or atleast get the stock lower ported and a few other things, Which cam would be better to get? I want it to have a fairly rough idle to it. Thanks and if anyone has any advice please post, I'm new to the whole mustang world and trying to learn all I can. Thanks alot!!

BTW my cars a '90 not a '89.

• Sponsors (?)

Will the B cam work with my stock springs and everything for now? I got the whole motor pretty much tore down tryting to find the problem, Im carrying the heads tomorrow to get them checked, about what does it cost to get heads checked for leaks in yall's area? I'm gonna get them checked and go from there with the heads. IF one is cracked could I just get another head and put all my springs and everythig on it scense there brand new with not even 6,000miles? I wanna go ahead and put the B303 cam kit and get the problem fixed for now. when it starts warming up I'm gonna either get the stock lower intake ported or go all after market and get a set of heads eat but it's gonna be awhile andI just wanna drive it.

Up grade the springs.. yours are well worn and you know the reason you are putting the cam in is to push hard.. If the shop can not get a set, email me!! I have Dual springs/moly retainers and keepers that just drop in.. no machine work needed.. cool??
Just me.........................

Thumper

I would probably opt for the B cam over the E with the setup you mentioned. To be honest most people say a B or E is overkill for a stock engine, but i've seen some pretty mean unported E7 engines with an E cam. The stock cam is proven to be able to make power and be very streetable, but that's what the stocker was for, streetability and emissions, so even with stock heads you're going to see a little top end surge with either cam, but with decent heads i'd probably go with the B myself.

You didn't ask what cam i'd buy if i had any choice, which i'd probably either go custom or get a TFS Stage 1.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna go ahead and order the B cam. I'll just go ahead and upgrade the springs (only if I have to, the springs couldnt be weak they dont even have 6,000miles on them) later on down the road im going to do the heads and intake subframe connexts gears and everything I'm just wanting to drive it for now but scense I got it all tore apart and the cams cheap why not? but anyway thanks and your car sounds mean!! Love the way cammed stangs sound! heck yeah!

Oh yeah another quick question. theres a pump thats bypassed on the stang under the alternator is that the smog pump? we dont have smog or anything here so could I just take all the smog stuff off of it and what all do I need to take off of it? and is there anyway I can get rid of any of the wiring? theres only a ton of wiring under the hood lol

Oh yeah another quick question. theres a pump thats bypassed on the stang under the alternator is that the smog pump? we dont have smog or anything here so could I just take all the smog stuff off of it and what all do I need to take off of it? and is there anyway I can get rid of any of the wiring? theres only a ton of wiring under the hood lol

Yeah you can get rid of the pump... As far as I know a smog pump delete kit will come with a bracket, pully, and bolts. **** while your freein' up some weight you might as well get rid of the A/C too.

As far as the wiring. You cant really get rid of anything. Im actually right in the middle of pulling the 302 out of my 89 with the b303 in the Video up there. It's nothing compared to my 89 TPI or an LT1. You'll get used to it after your under the hood a couple times.

Last thing I saw the concern about the springs. I ran a b303 with 1.7's (510 lift) for over 3500 miles before I decided to pull it. Yeah nobody will recomend it but it's been done.

Thanks!!

Hey have you put down any numbers yet?? I noticed we have a similiar setup.
Also did you have any problems with that typhoon leaking? Vacume,water,etc??

for hp and tq numbers i have no clue yet, havent had the chance to dyno it. the quickest it ran so far was 12.8 and that was about a year ago since its seen the track. havent had no probs with the intake leaking or anything as of today. the intake has been on the motor for abut 2 years:nice: