E7 Heads on a 67 289 Block

• Sponsors (?)

they will physically fit but there will be issues. first off you will lose several points in compression because the 67 289 originally had 54cc chambers and the E7 heads have a 64cc chamber. you're going to lose a lot of compression even if you have flat top pistons you're probably looking at somewhere around 8:1 compression or lower, not good. also, if you plan on using the 67 intake you will run into problems with coolant passages and also the later heads only had 10 (i think) intake bolts vs the orignals 12 bolts, which could cause water leaks as i'm pretty the 2 extra holes in the early intake went into the coolant passage and later intakes simpl don't have any bolt holes in that particular location. it's been a while since i messed with any late model heads so this may not be exactly correct but the compression ratio is a major concern.

well either early model 351w heads, hi-po 289 heads or possibly 68 302 4v heads NOT the 68 302 2v or 289 heads as they are also a low compression head. the 67 289 heads are probably a good candidate for a good port and polish. even if you go with 351 of 302 4v heads you're still looking at a drop in compression but it won't be as drastic since those heads have 60cc chambers