E85 conversion?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi

I'm from Brazil and we have a lot of cars running on ethanol here, equivalent to E100 since is has no gasoline added and almost half of the new cars sold here are know as flex fuel cars, they can run on any mixture of ethanol and gasoline. in these cars the ECU automatically adjust the combustion parameters to the mixture in the tank, the disadvantage of this system is that is it impossible to have great eficicience with the ethanol, since the engine has a intermediate compression ratio beetwin the rate of gasoline and the ethanol ratio. A engine that runs on ethanol has more horsepower than the same engine with gasoline, but has lower mileage due to the need to compensate the lower calorific power with the injection of more fuel.

Ethanol has much more octanes the gasoline, this is why all the supercharged cars here use this fuel. I have a Pontiac T1000 with a supercharged engine running on ethanol, but the Stang uses gasoline.

To change the fuel you need a new fuel pump and new injector to be able to feed the engine with more fuel, if you stock injection system can support more flow this change is not necessary. fuel filters should be changed too, the tuning on the ECU is enough to run with E85 but to use the full potential of this fuel it is a good idea change the compression ratio . But only with the change of the injection and spark timing it's possible to gains some horsepower.

But the great advantage of E85 is the option to use hi boost pressures without the fear of knocking.

Sorry for my bad English.

tjh566,

how do you like that tweecer? i have been trying to read a lot about it. i do have a 1994 cobra with that crappy ECU. i was thinking about the FAST system but i also like the Tweecer. is it ver user friendly? i know cars pretty good, but not too much experiance with the accual computer reprogramming.

they did a comparrison on it between e85 and regular gas...you get higher octane with the e85 but you loose gas miliage so you really dont save any money they said after the decrease in mpg you still about the same equvilant as just buying gas....ethonal is just cleaner and better to support since its made here they said

hmm.....higher boost huh :D

i'd look into it but since they don't haven any stations around me with it i guess it will have to wait. One of the 5.0 Mustang mag's King of the Street contestants was running E85 in his car

whats it smell like and whats it smell like burning? i love the smell of gas, diesel not so much, so does it have its own distint smell smell bad what about exhaust fumes?? theres none of this stuff anywhere near me to find out

tjh566,

how do you like that tweecer? i have been trying to read a lot about it. i do have a 1994 cobra with that crappy ECU. i was thinking about the FAST system but i also like the Tweecer. is it ver user friendly? i know cars pretty good, but not too much experiance with the accual computer reprogramming.

I love it, its fun... BUT, the learning curve is steep, its not simple, but once you get the basic's of it it gets easier, you have to read, read, read, and then once u think you've read everything about it, read some more. One tip when tuning focus on one thing at a time, dont try to talk in all the information at once, its overwhelming, focus on one thing at a time. it helps to learn it with a tweecer.

You can adjust anything that the computer controls, so much power. Doing my self tune, ive got my total timing right where i want it, no spark knock then backed it down a little to be safe, and the Air/fuel I got tuned in dead on. But with the purchase of a tweecer (the r/t version is a must) you MUST also have a wideband, so total your looking at around 800-1000 bucks unless you already have a wideband.

Support is decent for it, a few message boards and the yahoo user group for it, you can find pretty much anything you need to know.

Since E85 is grain alcohol, and alcohol is corrosive, wouldn't you need to do some more work than change the fuel filter? It seems like any rubber-type line it came in contact with would need to be replaced with alcohol-compatible stuff. Do the braided lines have the right liner to not melt and gunk the system up? Just curious... :shrug:

Scott

Since E85 is grain alcohol, and alcohol is corrosive, wouldn't you need to do some more work than change the fuel filter? It seems like any rubber-type line it came in contact with would need to be replaced with alcohol-compatible stuff. Do the braided lines have the right liner to not melt and gunk the system up? Just curious... :shrug:

Scott

Alcohol is more corrosive, especialy to metals, this is why it is necessary to change the fuel pump to one that is compatible with alcohol. The alcohol isn't so agressive to rubber, so change the hoses isn't so necessary. Since the fuel goes from the pump direct to the injector, so change many part is not necessary. For example the pressure regulator can work with alcohol without grave problems. The life of the component woulden't be the life of a component that is desingned to work with that fual, but that doesn't mean the the component will fail in a month, a year or in a decade.

If you want a very reliable car its a good idea to change the parts which are in contact with the fuel.

So a tune and a fuel pump, I am kewl with that, I would be completly up to it. We would no longer be dependent on foreign fuels and we would be helping he environment greatly. Plus higher octane means more power:nice:

Along with a tune and a fuel pump you'll need a few fuel filters and quite possibly new injectors. You'll also have a new found dependency for e85 which is few and far between across the country. Proponents argue that ethanol consumes more energy in the production than what the fuel is worth…while others argue that the data supporting such claims is old and know obsolete.

One more thing to keep in mind is that higher octane does not always mean more power.