Early timing Chain Covers

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
I'm learning all the time here...............

OK. I think I've found out that there are two types of timing chain covers for small block Ford V8's. The early ones have 9 water pump attachment points (holes), the more recent ones have only seven. The lowest two holes are omitted on the recent ones. My timing chain cover is original, circa 1963, as best as I can figure from the casting number. It has nine holes, so the #8841 Edelbrock Victor Pump, which I want to upgrade to, will not fit (properly), having only seven holes.

I have a high compression 302 small block. So my questions are:

1. Am I correct about the differences between the timing chain covers?

2. I need a passenger side oil inlet water pump, I don't think the #8841 is the right pump I need. I think that the #8842 might be better. The distance from pulley to the back of the pump at 5.16, on the #8841, is closer to the 5.125 (measured) of my existing pump. Has anybody been in the same situation as me and do they agree.

3. As the Edlebrock #8842 pump is for the 'K' code 289 does anybody know how it's flow rate compares to the #8841 pump.

4. What is the Felpro (or similar) gasket number for the nine bolt original timing chain cover.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If you've got a C3 casting cover, then yea, you're stuck with a pass. side water pump. On the later covers, those bottom bolts are in the water pump, they use a back cover with these two bolts, that go in from the backside (they have thin heads to accomplish this) I don't have time right now to look up those pump #'s, but I can tell you that there's three flow rates for water pumps: The so called "high performance" pumps are usually low flow pumps designed to operate at high rpms. Next is the std volume pump. Then there's the high volume, which the factory and rebuilders make many of, these are listed in the parts books as HD ( heavy duty applications) , police/taxi, extra cooling, (and rarely) high volume. That 289 hi-po pump could be either the first ( low flow but high rpm) or a high volume. Be best to contace Edelbrock and find out which. You don't want a high rpm, low flow pump on a street car.

Sometime in ford production, they changed the depth of the cover. I mixed and matched a cover in my current 302 and the accessories did not line up. It turned out that although they look the same, one was 3/4" deeper than the other. I can't remember which was the earlier or later, however.

Edelbrock have told me in a brief e-mail that the #8841 pump is the right one for my engine year (1974), however my timing cover is from 1963. They say the #8842 is only for the 289 HO V8 although the flows between the two are essentailly the same.

I'm still not clear what the water pump back cover is for.

I still think the #8842 is the one I need to fit my application. Both are passenger side inlets. The #8841 has a back cover and from the previous reply from D.Hearne to this thread its going to have two screw heads protruding from the back of the pump which will not mate with my early C3 cover.

Any comments or assistance would be appreciated.

Any more thoughts anybody? In talking to one of the Ford 'gray beards' here at work I'm convinced that the #8841 pump will not fit my C3 timing cover because the pump has a backing plate.

I would like to order my parts tonight so would appreciate any more thoughts before then.

I think that I am talking to myself on this thread........

Well I just ordered my #8842 Edelbrock water pump from Summit. When it arrives I'll see if it fits on my C3 timing cover.

If I recall correctly there was two different passenger side water pump timing covers for the years 63-68. Be that as it may, you have a 50% chance that pump you ordered is the right one. If I could post the pics here, I have some pics of small block timing covers that show one of each. And if I'm not mistaken both style pumps use a backing plate/rear cover. The difference here is the way the whole thing bolts together. On one the cover bolts on with the two bottom bolts that go in from the rear, the other, these two bolts go thru the pump and rear plate and thread into the timing cover.

:D Oh, and sorry I didn't reply fast enough, but I DO have another life besides the one here on StangNet :spot: I work 4 days a week, 14 hr shifts. Not a lot of spare time on these 4 days to do stuff here. Two of those days , I'm away from home and the net. The other two, I just have enough time to check email and answer a few questions. This is a new job for me, and while the 4 days on, I don't have time, but it does pay well enough for me to have ordered my new 06 Stang :D :D :D

dont use a one piece fuel pump eccentric on the newer covers, i learned this the hard way(wtf wh is it cranking so hard, what is this crap in the oil did i take outa bearing?)the eccentric wore into the cover about 1/32. after the first oil cange i rebuilt another motor to replace it. oooh was i pissed when i pulled the timing cover

Bad night last night...........the one night of the week when I get to work on my car, and everything I touched turned to crap.

Can anybody offer any tips on installing a timing cover seal (from the rear). The seal I took out had a flange on it which I would imagine would provide a good surface for driving the new seal in. The replacement seal I have from FelPro had no flange and I damaged it trying to lightly hammer it in, with a mallet and piece of hard wood.

Any tips on method and tooling would be appreciated. Thanks guys.