eaton, according to car and driver.

sovapid

Oct 28, 2004
Just got the latest copy of Car and Driver.

Big spread on the new Cobra.

Let's talk about power. The heart of the GT500 is a supercharged 5.4 liter DOHC 32 valve V8. If those specs sound familiar, it's because they're interchangeable with the description for the mid-engined Ford GT. But there are important distinctions. The GT V8 is all aluminum with a dry sump lubrication, whereas the GT500 has an iron block and a wet sump. The GT engine is force fed by a Lysholm screw type supercharger; the GT500 will use an Eaton R122 Roots type blower and an air to liquid intercooler, adding 10 psi to the intake at peak boost.

O'Connell says the switch was dictated by availability, rather than price.

"The Lysholm unit is a little more expensive, " he says, "but the big problem was supply. They can't make as many as we're going to need.........."

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, this really sucks! However they did say the new car will ship with 285/40R18s in the back instead of the 255s.

The eaton is making getting a GT and Putting the KenneBell on it looking very attractive.

sovapid said:
Just got the latest copy of Car and Driver.

Big spread on the new Cobra.

5.4 > 4.6
Shelby s suspension > GT's
6 speed tranny > GT's sucky 3650 :notnice:
forged internals.... Priceless :nice:

I wouldn't try to save a few thousand and blow your warranty just to find out you should have got the car that was done correctly. Many GT's are running KBs in the 99+ models but they aren't Cobras and it'd be hard to sell the GT when your ready for a new ride IMO.

98GTfromGA said:
It is an eaton but its the probably about the same efficiency as a kb or whipple
:nono: :nono: :nono:

that would be defying physics.

However, with an Eaton on there the claim of 450bhp is probably more realistic than exceeds 450bhp.

It will be one fast car regardless and a 4.6 with a twin screw will struggle to keep up bhp wise (equiverlant mod for equiverlant mod).

ttown said:
5.4 > 4.6
Shelby s suspension > GT's
6 speed tranny > GT's sucky 3650 :notnice:
forged internals.... Priceless :nice:

I hear you, but when the GT500 comes out, you'll be able to get a GT with incentives for like $22k vs. $40k+ for the GT500. That buys alot of mods! In addition, C&D writes that the GT500 Engine is 175lbs heavier! I am guessing a KB on a 05 GT will easily put down 500RWHP. Spend 3k to make it handle and another $1.5k on wheels and tires and you're still $10k less than the GT500. :confused:

The article also said that although the Lysholm twin screw gives more top end (untimate HP) "...the Roots is a little fatter in the mid range. We think that owners will be satisfied with this setup."

fzust said:
I hear you, but when the GT500 comes out, you'll be able to get a GT with incentives for like $22k vs. $40k+ for the GT500. That buys alot of mods! In addition, C&D writes that the GT500 Engine is 175lbs heavier! I am guessing a KB on a 05 GT will easily put down 500RWHP. Spend 3k to make it handle and another $1.5k on wheels and tires and you're still $10k less than the GT500. :confused:

You forgot to add $2000+ to build your shortblock so it doesn't blow up halfway down the strip with 500 RWHP, several more thousand to upgrade the Tremec 3650 or replace it with a stronger unit that can handle the torque that a KB'd 4.6 will put out.

But really, if price is your only object, why not skip the 05 GT, and go straight for a 87-95 Fox or SN95 GT, upgrade the handling, braking, and suspension, and drop in a turbo'd 427 ci and a TKO 600, which will give you upwards of 1000 HP and corner carving to boot for around $25K?

351CJ said:
The article also said that although the Lysholm twin screw gives more top end (untimate HP) "...the Roots is a little fatter in the mid range. We think that owners will be satisfied with this setup."
Yeah but reading between the lines on all that I've seen so far I would say that is marketing BS

The Whipple was only running 8-8.5psi

The Eaton is @ 10psi and there could be other changes too (Tune & cam specs). Like for like basis the twin screw blower will produce more power & torque than a roots ANYWHERE in the rpm range.

svtguy said:
However, with an Eaton on there the claim of 450bhp is probably more realistic than exceeds 450bhp.

I very much doubt that! A Eaton Blown 4.6 with heads that don't flow as well makes in reality 425hp. Do you really think that a blown 5.4 will only make 25hp more than a 4.6?
sorry have I missed the launch of a new 4.6 Blower Cobra since the 04? :rlaugh:

That had 390bhp SAE Net. And you ocan argue it produced more til you are blue in the face, but that is what it is rated at by Ford, and there is enough evidance to beleive it to be pretty accurate.

300bhp/ton said:
Basically there is no said amount that is being lost from the drivetrain, all cars vary, even cars of the same make and model will not necessarily loose the same amount.

There are also several areas where descipancy occurs.

1. Ford rate the engine in the GT at 260bhp SAE Net. However there are many types of bhp. But they don't all carry the same value, the same as $1 US dollar has a different moneytary value to $1 Australian dollar, yet they are both still dollars.

-PS
-HP
-BHP
-Imperial
-Metric

These all cause different numbers to be produced. So depending on WHICH scale of bhp a rolling road dyno is measuring will vary what the numbers are.

2. The standard of how bhp is rated SAE stands for the Society of Automotive Engineers and have many standards which concern temp, humidity and which ancillaries are on the engine (there are many other standards used across the world, which means cars form other countries with the same bhp claim may be producing more or less than an American car rated under SAE standards). As a rolling road dyno will be done at ambiant temps in a work shop or outside there is no control over other influencial factors which could cause an engine to produce more/less power. There are correction calculations which can be used, but are not always and they are not always used correctly when implemented.

All in all this will cause a variance in recorded numbers.

3. Accuracy of the rolling road dyno. As most of these will be used all day every day it is safe to assume that they are not 100% fully calibrated all of the time, because it would be expensive and time consuming to do so every day. If you except that any rolling road dyno pull could be +- 5-10% it makes it a lot easier to understand why cars produce such a wide variance of numbers.

4. How the power of the engine is measured. A rolling road dyno measure the rotational force at the rear wheels, so even tyre pressure and tread pattern can and do affect outputs. More importantly is how a measurment is acheived, torque is usually measured as a rotaional force against a counter weight this is then calculated to give a HP reading according to what engine rpms are. But there are other ways of measuring HP, originally I believe it was how fast a Horse could pull a weight of X amount vertically via a pulley over a set distance. Hence the name Horse Power.

In addition to these factors there are different claims on how power is lost via the drivetrain. If you increase the HP of car via a power adder like NOS you are not changig anything in the g/box, axels and so on. The drivetrain remains constant so should it suddenly be using more power to rotate the same components? Well yes to an extent because if there is a greater force acting on it then the amount of friction will also have incrased, but the 15% rule does not cater for this, e.g.

A car dyno's at 220rwhp if we then / .85 (for 15% loss) = 259bhp.
Drivetrain loss = 39bhp

If that same car now dyno'd 420rwhp. / .85 = 494bhp
Drivetrain loss = 74bhp

Is the drivetrain really taking almost double the HP the rotate it even with out any changes? I doubt it.

It should be requiring more power but the % loss should be less, for argumants sake say the 420rwhp car only lost 10% (420 / .90 = 467bhp), this would mean a 47bhp loss from the dirvetrain, much more realistic. Although it does mean your crank BHP is lower than you may are wished for. However wishing will not defeat physics any more than hope can.

And because of this there are quite a few engine builders out there that will claim any Mustang GT 4.6 with a manual gearbox will loose about 30-40bhp thru drive train loss, except it exceptional circumstances. So a rolling road dyno of 230rwhp corrected to SAE Net standards plus 30bhp for the drivetrain loss would funnily enough equal the magic figure of 260BHP.

I doubt that the GT's are underatted, there will always be a few that produce that bit more power, but this will be due to manufacturing tolorancies. All of the should be producing 260bhp if they where put on an engine dyno and rated as per the standards.

This also applies to the 03/4 Cobra's.

The Cobra's are one hell of a car and rank high on my list in my fantasy garage, but if they ALL really produced over 400BHP SAE Net I'm sure Ford would have advertised the fact, for two reasons:

1. The Cobra is Fords premier performance model in the US (forget the GT, but that didn't exist then and is a totally different league), so there was no higher end car to steal sales away from in the Ford group, unlike GM they deliberatly underated the Fbody's so as not to over shadow the Corvette with the same engine, it was of course a lot cheaper to purly'Advertise' a lower BHP than actually go to the expense of detuning the units or building specific spec units just for the Fbody. Very clever in all reality.

2. The Corvette Z06 had 405BHP SAE Net, and although slightly more expensive could well be considered as an alternative to the Cobra, so it would have been beneficial for Ford to advertise the highest BHP but they didn't they advertised less than the Vette which again would indicate that the engine did only produce 390BHP SAE Net.

Personally I dont' believe the Cobra's are underatted, or not by much anyhow because they just arn't fast enough to carry bigger statistics.

If tested on a like for like basis by the same driver under the same conditions an 03 Cobra will put down almost identical 0-60mph and 0-100mph times as a manual C5 Corvette.

The Vette has 345bhp SAE Net compared to the Cobra's 390bhp SAE Net but the Cobra weighs more.

The Vette weighs i at about 1456kg so that = 345 / 1.456 = 234bhp per metric tonne power to weight.

A 03 Cobra weighs in at about 1650kg, 390 / 1.650 = 236bhp per metric tonne power to weight ratio.

Almost identical, only 2hp in it!

The big thig the Cobra has is HOW it produces the power, as it is FI it produces more power and specifically torque than the Corvette for more of the time. LS1 is a great motor but doesn't have the low and even mid range grunt of engines of old. The blown 4.6 will be producing more power from low down.

So remeber PEAK power outputs are pretty meaningless, its the profile of the graphs that are important.

And only ever take dyno numbers with a pinch of salt because they are anything but accurate.
So to be a road legal car meeting all of the emission/economy and cost requirements, regulations and laws 450bhp is probably spot on.

390bhp / 4.6 litres = 84.78bhp per litre (03/4 Cobra)

84.78 X 5.4 litres = 457.8bhp SAE Net (educated guess for Shelby 500 with an Eaton)

You really can't go by that, you have to see what the engine is rated at once finished. You can't guess as sometimes simple changes can create a huge difference. All you can say for sure is more than 450hp and less than 550hp.

03 SVT VERT said:
You really can't go by that, you have to see what the engine is rated at once finished. You can't guess as sometimes simple changes can create a huge difference. All you can say for sure is more than 450hp and less than 550hp.

i agree, a guy can't even begin to make assumptions about the different blowers (and power outputs that will be seen by their addition) unless they have the manufacturers data curve sheets sitting in front of them with the same test conditions (T, Patm, humidity, etc.) and the relative Free Air Delivery of each. you have a point that a screw type compressor typically has less frictional losses, and a greater volumetric efficiency than the roots type, but the bottom line is the different amounts of O2/Vol. (given that the amount of fuel is stoichiometrically corrected) delivered to the engine. you also mentioned that there are different types of brake horse power...? there is only 1 deffinition of power P= F ds/dt (or a derivation of this formula). there are other variables that will cause differences, not the units used in the calculation.

A quote from someone who should know something about the GT-500 engine.

"between 450 and 500 horsepower - how's that?"

Johhny O'Connell, Ford VP - C&D July 2005

fullsagd said:
i agree, a guy can't even begin to make assumptions about the different blowers (and power outputs that will be seen by their addition) unless they have the manufacturers data curve sheets sitting in front of them with the same test conditions (T, Patm, humidity, etc.) and the relative Free Air Delivery of each. you have a point that a screw type compressor typically has less frictional losses, and a greater volumetric efficiency than the roots type, but the bottom line is the different amounts of O2/Vol. (given that the amount of fuel is stoichiometrically corrected) delivered to the engine. you also mentioned that there are different types of brake horse power...? there is only 1 deffinition of power P= F ds/dt (or a derivation of this formula). there are other variables that will cause differences, not the units used in the calculation.
doh!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Thats what the SAE standard is, well at least part of it. As it dictates what the conditions must be to acheive a reading. :bang: :bang:

Its not about the formula for the measurement, like you can have km/h and mph. They are measured the same but the corresponding numbers will be different.

This is the same with engine output but is often over looked as the same generic term horse power is used to describe different scales of measurement - go look it up!

Just the same as octane ratings for fuel. In the UK a regular fuel is 95 octane, whereas you guys in the states will have 91 or 93 octane as a premium fuel. Well who has the highest octane rating?

Neither, as they are different scales, the UK fuel is rated as 95 RON where as in the US it is usually rated on the PON scale.

95 RON is about equal to 91 PON
thus our 'superunleaded' 97 RON is then equal to 93 PON. (or as near as damn it)

The 03/04 Cobra Ford rated at 390hp is making 360rwhp to 380rwhp on a dyno. That's a bit more than 390 at the crank more like 425 to 440hp. Now a 5.4 with can make 500hp at the crank easy. It doesn't matter to me what Ford wants to claim, the dyno is a better indicator IMO. :shrug: My little Mach as you can see make a little more than 305hp, it's close to 330hp a little off too. Seems Ford had a hard time doing math in the 03/04 model years after the 99 Cobra screw up......... :spot:

Its not about the formula for the measurement, like you can have km/h and mph. They are measured the same but the corresponding numbers will be different.

This is the same with engine output but is often over looked as the same generic term horse power is used to describe different scales of measurement - go look it up!

it is about the formula. and its not different scales (1hp=1hp, you can't scale the same root values down, that doesn't make any sense). it's about the test methods, like you mentioned. the scaled correction factor will be used in these methods not the units reported.

fullsagd said:
(1hp=1hp, you can't scale the same root values down, that doesn't make any sense). it's about the test methods, like you mentioned. the scaled correction factor will be used in these methods not the units reported.
You are so dum!

1 metric HP has a different value to 1 Imperial HP, it is that simple.

Same goes for wieghts and measures, 1 US gallon is smaller than 1 Imperial gallon.

1 Imperial ton weighs less than 1 metric tonne.

1bhp SAE Net has a different value to 1PS

If you really don't get then I wash my hands of you! :fuss:

ttown said:
The 03/04 Cobra Ford rated at 390hp is making 360rwhp to 380rwhp on a dyno. That's a bit more than 390 at the crank more like 425 to 440hp. Now a 5.4 with can make 500hp at the crank easy. It doesn't matter to me what Ford wants to claim, the dyno is a better indicator IMO. :shrug: My little Mach as you can see make a little more than 305hp, it's close to 330hp a little off too. Seems Ford had a hard time doing math in the 03/04 model years after the 99 Cobra screw up......... :spot:
Where are these Cobra's making 380rwhp stock NEVER seen one.

360rwhp - yes. but 360 what. It won't be SAE Net hp that has been measured. And you are also assuming the STUPID 15% rule is accurate.

People seriously can't really be this stupid. I mean you are using a keyboard and mouse to access this site :bang:

If you really beleive that 03/4 Cobra's produced 425+bhp then they would have to be one of the most dissapointing performance cars of the last few years, as they should be a lot faster than they are, I me come on the Cobra R will post the same performance figures stock for stock. How much HP did it have - - - is that 385bhp I hear. Almost identical to a stock Cobra, so again its no wonder they produce similar ET's.

300bhp/ton said:
You are so dum!

360rwhp - yes. but 360 what. It won't be SAE Net hp that has been measured. And you are also assuming the STUPID 15% rule is accurate.

People seriously can't really be this stupid. I mean you are using a keyboard and mouse to access this site :bang:

People been using the 15% figure since before you and I were born son, grow up. It's as good as any figure you can give. Which is a bunch of BS.