ECM Wiring Confusion

PonyGTrider

Feb 27, 2019
Mexico
Hi all new here
I’m trying to test both O2 sensors as I’m suspect or running too rich, as I have explosions inside the exhaust pipes when taking of with cold engine. No error codes are present at the code reader.

My ride is a 90 Mustang GT with a 306 engine, T5 Z Specs tranny and A9L ECM.

I cannot find the color code wires to test the sensors at pins 29 and 43.
To start, the computer harness is a 60 pin but there are much less wires coming into the computer and lots of empty pins.

Maybe I’ll have to unplug the O2 sensors and find the pins at the ECM harness via ohm meter.

Thank you, José

• Sponsors (?)

Highly recommend an EVTM as they come in handy for these sorts of situations.

You are correct that the 60 pin should contain less wires. Ford used that connector for many vehicles and not all are wired the same.

This page should help you out
IMG_3125.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks General Karthief
I do have code 11 and KOER test goes without any errors too.

The problem is that as I start the engine in the morning and take off right away the car doesn’t want to go. I step on the gas and just nothing happens, and then explosions can be heard and felt under the car inside the pipes. Seconds after it starts running fine but smells like raw gas. When I got home and shut it down, a strong gas smell comes out of it, like an injector stays open but the fuel pressure remains for a while.

Really poor MPG, is another sign.... maybe I need a tuning

I’ll try your links, thank you

I'd explore mechanical issues first before going down the tuning path. A9L should be able to handle basic mods, unless you have some extreme mods you haven't mentioned yet.

There are various tests you can perform to see if injectors are functioning properly. You can use a 9V battery and leads to trigger each injector after cylinding the key and holding fuel pressure. The pressure should drop a tiny bit each time you touch the injector leads. This will at lease let you know if the injectors are pulsing correctly....at least they should if proper signal from the ECM is being realized.

I wouldn't rule out an issue with the ECU as well. During cold start, the O2 sensors are generally ignored and the computer runs on it's own logic during cold startup. Since it won't run, it signals one of two things. #1) it's sending a signal for a parameter that is wildly different from what it expects (ie, radical camshaft). or #2, it's programming is corrupt.

Thank you Mustang5L5 for your respond and suggestions.

Yes I think I'll run the injectors pulse test to verify opening/close actions. On the other hand I removed my A9L ECM and found a leaky capacitor which I learned is a common failure on these units. Don't know if the rich condition is related to this but I will replace all three capacitors and find out how the unit behaves.

I have an ECM I bought long time ago from, yeah you guessed right Autozone but has no labels to identify which unit is it, all I know I asked for a 90 mustang GT with manual transmission. I'm running that unit as an emergency and for testing the O2 sensors. I identified the wires at the ECM connector and fund out that the Left sensor is a green/purple wire (Pin 43) and right sensor is a red/black wire (Pin 29)

The reading seem too low from ~0.03 V to ~0.6 V at idle

Thanks Mustang5L5

I already went thru the reading about O2's. One of the things that surprises me is that I have no errors at all, no lean condition errors... Nothing. Unless there is a vacuum leak that is not accounted by the ECM then the O2 sensors are degraded and not performing correctly. I will test the injectors just to eliminate that possibility and go from there to maybe replace the both O2 sensors, and even remove the intake manifolds and re-seal them again... What else???:(

Last edited:
Good morning all!

So here are some results, after I finished replacing the bad capacitors I re installed my A9L and drove it for a while. I felt her a bit different for good. Today I just retrieved the codes and here are the results:

KOEO Self Test Codes: Code 81
KOEO Continuous Memory Codes: Code 33
KOER Self Test: Codes 12, 94, 44, 33

All of those codes are related to EGR valve and air solenoids from the smog system with the exception of Code 12 which is RPM at idle out of range (High).

I've removed the EGR valve and all the smog system using the proper resistors just to keep the Mill light off. I did all of that only for aesthetic purposes, not in search of power gains which I know is a plain myth.

Is there somewhere a sequence to adjust my Idle RPM?

Thanks General Karthief
I do have code 11 and KOER test goes without any errors too.

The problem is that as I start the engine in the morning and take off right away the car doesn’t want to go. I step on the gas and just nothing happens, and then explosions can be heard and felt under the car inside the pipes. Seconds after it starts running fine but smells like raw gas. When I got home and shut it down, a strong gas smell comes out of it, like an injector stays open but the fuel pressure remains for a while.

Really poor MPG, is another sign.... maybe I need a tuning

I’ll try your links, thank you
While engine is cold, it's still in open-loop, i.e. O2 sensors are ignored by EEC.
Fuel delivery system is not monitored by EEC, so don't expect any codes.

You need to perform some fuel pressure tests.

While engine is cold, it's still in open-loop, i.e. O2 sensors are ignored by EEC.
Fuel delivery system is not monitored by EEC, so don't expect any codes.

You need to perform some fuel pressure tests.
Thanks Blown88GT

I did a fuel pressure test and got ~39 psi with vacuum hooked, and the pressure stays after shutoff for like an hour or more. so I thing have enough pressure thru a kirban adjustable regulator.

Hi all new here
I’m trying to test both O2 sensors as I’m suspect or running too rich, as I have explosions inside the exhaust pipes when taking of with cold engine. No error codes are present at the code reader.

My ride is a 90 Mustang GT with a 306 engine, T5 Z Specs tranny and A9L ECM.

I cannot find the color code wires to test the sensors at pins 29 and 43.
To start, the computer harness is a 60 pin but there are much less wires coming into the computer and lots of empty pins.

Maybe I’ll have to unplug the O2 sensors and find the pins at the ECM harness via ohm meter.

Thank you, José

See the code 41/91 test path below for the information you requested...

Code 41 or 91. Or 43 Three digit code 172 or 176 - O2 sensor indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.

Revised 24 Aug 2018
1.) To correct the RH & LH mismatch on 91-93 5.0 Mustangs
2.) To add Tmoss’ wiring diagrams for 88-95 Mustangs

Code 41 is the passenger side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.
Code 91 is the driver side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.

Code 172 is the passenger side sensor as viewed from the driver's seat.
Code 176 is the driver side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.

Code 43 is not side specific according to the Probst Ford Fuel injection book.

The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel. Many times the end result is an engine that runs pig rich and stinks of unburned fuel.

The following is a Quote from Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control:

"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than 400 Millivolts. Remember lean = less voltage.
When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than 600 millivolts. Remember rich = more voltage.
Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage." End Quote

Testing the O2 sensors 87-93 5.0 Mustangs

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. You'll have to pull the passenger side kick panel off to gain access to the computer connector. Remove the plastic wiring cover to get to the back side of the wiring. Use a safety pin or paper clip to probe the connections from the rear.

Disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness and use the body side O2 sensor harness as the starting point for testing. Do not measure the resistance of the O2 sensor, you may damage it. Resistance measurements for the O2 sensor harness are made with one meter lead on the O2 sensor harness and the other meter lead on the computer wire or pin for the O2 sensor.
Computer wiring harness connector, computer side.
88243.gif

Backside view of the computer wiring connector:
a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.gif

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Dark blue/Lt green – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Dark Green/Pink – RH O2 sensor

The computer pins are 29 (RH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (LH O2 with a dark blue/lt green wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor

The computer pins are 29 (RH O2 with a Gray/Lt blue wire) and 43 (LH O2 with a Red/Black wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

94-95 5.0 Mustangs; note that the 94-95 uses a 4 wire O2 sensor.
The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a red/black wire) and 27 (RH O2 with a gray/lt blue wire). Use pin 32 (gray/red wire) to ground the voltmeter. . The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter. Do not attempt to measure the resistance of the O2 sensors, it may damage them.

Testing the O2 sensor wiring harness
Most of the common multimeters have a resistance scale. Be sure the O2 sensors are disconnected and measure the resistance from the O2 sensor body harness to the pins on the computer. Using the Low Ohms range (usually 200 Ohms) you should see less than 1.5 Ohms.

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Disconnect the connector from the O2 sensor and measure the resistance:
From the Dark blue/Lt green wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Dark blue/Lt green wire on the computer pin 43
From the Dark Green/Pink wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Dark Green/Pink wire on the computer pin 29

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 43
From the Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 29

94-95 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 29 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 27 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 29
From the Dark Green/Pink Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 27

There is a connector between the body harness and the O2 sensor harness. Make sure the connectors are mated together, the contacts and wiring are not damaged, and the contacts are clean and not coated with oil.

The O2 sensor ground (orange wire with a ring terminal on it) is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

Check the fuel pressure – the fuel pressure is 37-41 PSI with the vacuum disconnected and the engine idling. Fuel pressure out of range can cause the 41 & 91 codes together. It will not cause a single code, only both codes together.

Make sure you have the proper 3 wire O2 sensors. Only the 4 cylinder cars used a 4 wire sensor, which is not compatible with the V8 wiring harness. The exception is that the 94-95 uses a 4 wire O2 sensor.

Replace the O2 sensors in pairs if replacement is indicated. If one is weak or bad, the other one probably isn't far behind.

Code 41 can also be due to carbon plugging the driver’s side Thermactor air crossover tube on the back of the engine. The tube fills up with carbon and does not pass air to the driver’s side head ports. This puts an excess amount of air in the passenger side exhaust and can set the code 41. Remove the tube and clean it out so that both sides get good airflow: this may be more difficult than it sounds. You need something like a mini rotor-rooter to do the job because of the curves in the tube. Something like the outer spiral jacket of a flexible push-pull cable may be the thing that does the trick.

If you get only code 41 and have changed the sensor, look for vacuum leaks. This is especially true if you are having idle problems. The small plastic tubing is very brittle after many years of the heating it receives. Replace the tubing and check the PVC and the hoses connected to it.

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 94-95 Mustangs
94-95_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs
91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-90 Mass Air Mustangs
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Code 41 or 91. Or 43 Three digit code 172 or 176 - O2 sensor indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.

Revised 24 Aug 2018

The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel. Many times the end result is an engine that runs pig rich and stinks of unburned fuel.

The following is a Quote from Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control:

"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than 400 Millivolts. Remember lean = less voltage.
When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than 600 millivolts. Remember rich = more voltage.
Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage." End Quote

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. You'll have to pull the passenger side kick panel off to gain access to the computer connector. Remove the plastic wiring cover to get to the back side of the wiring. Use a safety pin or paper clip to probe the connections from the rear.

Disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness and use the body side O2 sensor harness as the starting point for testing. Do not measure the resistance of the O2 sensor, you may damage it. Resistance measurements for the O2 sensor harness are made with one meter lead on the O2 sensor harness and the other meter lead on the computer wire or pin for the O2 sensor.
88243.gif

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:

The computer pins are 29 (RH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (LH O2 with a dark blue/lt green wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:

The computer pins are 29 (RH O2 with a Gray/Lt blue wire) and 43 (LH O2 with a Red/Black wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a red/black wire) and 27 (RH O2 with a gray/lt blue wire). Use pin 32 (gray/red wire) to ground the voltmeter. . The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter. Do not attempt to measure the resistance of the O2 sensors, it may damage them.

Most of the common multimeters have a resistance scale. Be sure the O2 sensors are disconnected and measure the resistance from the O2 sensor body harness to the pins on the computer. Using the Low Ohms range (usually 200 Ohms) you should see less than 1.5 Ohms.

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
From the Dark blue/Lt green wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Dark blue/Lt green wire on the computer pin 43
From the Dark Green/Pink wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Dark Green/Pink wire on the computer pin 29

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 43
From the Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 29

94-95 5.0 Mustangs:
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 29
From the Dark Green/Pink Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH O2 sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 27

There is a connector between the body harness and the O2 sensor harness. Make sure the connectors are mated together, the contacts and wiring are not damaged, and the contacts are clean and not coated with oil.

The O2 sensor ground (orange wire with a ring terminal on it) is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

Check the fuel pressure – the fuel pressure is 37-41 PSI with the vacuum disconnected and the engine idling. Fuel pressure out of range can cause the 41 & 91 codes together. It will not cause a single code, only both codes together.

Make sure you have the proper 3 wire O2 sensors. Only the 4 cylinder cars used a 4 wire sensor, which is not compatible with the V8 wiring harness. The exception is that the 94-95 uses a 4 wire O2 sensor.

Replace the O2 sensors in pairs if replacement is indicated. If one is weak or bad, the other one probably isn't far behind.

Code 41 can also be due to carbon plugging the driver’s side Thermactor air crossover tube on the back of the engine. The tube fills up with carbon and does not pass air to the driver’s side head ports. This puts an excess amount of air in the passenger side exhaust and can set the code 41. Remove the tube and clean it out so that both sides get good airflow: this may be more difficult than it sounds. You need something like a mini rotor-rooter to do the job because of the curves in the tube. Something like the outer spiral jacket of a flexible push-pull cable may be the thing that does the trick.

If you get only code 41 and have changed the sensor, look for vacuum leaks. This is especially true if you are having idle problems. The small plastic tubing is very brittle after many years of the heating it receives. Replace the tubing and check the PVC and the hoses connected to it.

Revised 24 Aug 2018

88243.gif

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:

94-95 5.0 Mustangs:

athsmk

Revised 24 Aug 2018

88243.gif

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:

94-95 5.0 Mustangs:

Thank you jrichker always very helpful.
I will follow your article to the letter to find the root of the issues I'm running into.