ECT sensor replacement/thermostat Q's

dbizzay

Apr 14, 2003
Surrey
After pulling the codes on my car, I need to change my ECT sensor (engine coolant temperature sensor). Where is this sensor located? The guy who owned the care before me put in a cooler thermostat as well. Should I return to the stock stat when I install then new ECT sensor?

Derek

• Sponsors (?)

first, when you pulled the codes, was the engine at normal operating temp??

you should not go below a 180* thermostat.

the ECT is located on the top front right side of the engine. it has 2 wires on the connector.

dbizzay said:
After pulling the codes on my car, I need to change my ECT sensor (engine coolant temperature sensor). Where is this sensor located? The guy who owned the care before me put in a cooler thermostat as well. Should I return to the stock stat when I install then new ECT sensor?

Derek
Should be right on the top of the engine, there will be a connector on it to the harness. Looks like the ACT when you pull it out. You should be able to see coolant when you take it out.

jjd975 said:
Does your temp gauge work? I would think if that sensor is bad your gauge would show it.

You must have misread what he wrote, judging by your huge post count. He is talking about the ECT sensor, not the temp. guage sending unit on the opposite side of the front of the intake. When the ECT goes bad the engine will not go into closed loop operation. My ECT's ohm out at 30ohms cold and 0 ohms hot. They complete the ciruit for closed loop operation when the engine warms up. Did you get any other codes? You will find the ECT on a steel water pipe on the pass. side front of the intake. As stated coolant will come out. Just have the new one ready and a rag to soak up spills.