Alright. I am just trying to plan ahead. Who amongst us has successfully completed this swap? Chime in with any problems you ran into or parts you had to buy, etc. I ask because this is the next step for the Daddywagon. I just about completed the installation of an efi 302 from a 1986 mustang gt into a 1985 Ford LTD foxbody station wagon. I used Ford's M-12071-A50 harness. The computer is A9L. The meter is Pro Flow(?) calibrated to 24lb injectors. The car starts and runs. Now that I am so close to driving it the time has come to build and install a 351. Thoughts?
1986 is unique. You know the deal. More restrictive, forged flat tops, originally speed density. It's been sitting for years, truth be told. I just threw it in there. My intent was never to use the 302. My coworkers kept bugging me about the project and suggested I just get it running with the 302 since it was already in there. It ended up in there because it was attached to the k member with cobra brakes and the tremec 3550 that I wanted for the 351 swap. I should know more about the health of the motor in the coming weeks... when I drive it!
Pic of some 351 swap parts taken this past weekend.
Thread revival! I am gonna try to get the 351 in there in the coming weeks. The 302 runs... okay. It’s healthy enough that I can dump the clutch leaving a lot and get it sideways pretty easily. When I start my stock 93 though it’s obvious that the 86 motor needs a little work. The 351 I have is a lightning motor that I threw an H.O. cam into. It also has cobra roller rockers on the iron gt40’s. I will use this thread to show the 351 swap as I go. It won’t be pretty but I hope to just get it in there.
My plan is to just throw a 351w into the Daddywagon. I bought the engine a couple of years ago from a guy who built up Ford Lightnings. I can’t remember if it was his or an engine he got from someone else. I believe it was someone else’s because I recall him saying the previous owner installed the cobra rockers. Well I lifted the gt40 heads and the piston tops have quite a bit of black carbon buildup. The plugs and combustion chambers look ok! The intake valve on #1 cylinder is darker than the other 7. I ordered valve seals, but I am intent on not diassembling the engine any further. If I have to pull pistons then I will just have what I believe to be a better block machined and begin my long rod 351w build.