EFI to Carb....what kind???...intake??

5.0drifter

Jun 14, 2006
naperville
i have a 88 5.0 slightly moded with a cam which i dont know what it is but stock block and lower end along with stock heads....but i am trashing my EFI and going to carb...pretty much cuz i hate wires(melting issue with my egr valve) but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on which carb i should go with????...i was looking at the holly dominators 750cfm....but i noticed that it did not come with any choke (im prob gunna need one arnt I??)....and it doesnt help that im not too profficent on tuning carbs.....also what cfm do i want......then my intake??...should i get single plane or dual plane..... I plan on keeping the stock block and taking it as far as i can go (which i hear is only like 400hp)....i also plan to eventually get the rev up too 6.5, 7 grand .......302 vic jr..

what it all comes down too.....i want more of the race aspect than a daily driver....looking for the best trottle response and low to mid range torque.....drifting & autocross

• Sponsors (?)

Post your EFI problems and we will try to help you. Speed Density Mustangs are good, fast cars if you apply a bit of educated TLC to them.

Did you ever consider what happens to the fuel in the bowl of a carb in a hard turn? It tends to slosh away from the metering system. Adjust the float level too low and the car dies coming out of the corners. Adjust it too high and your street fuel mileage drops. Carbs work fine for circle track racers where you always tune to turn in one direction. You jack the suspension to favor the direction you always turn. Can't do that with autocross- you have to be able to turn hard in both directions. Want carbs that work for autocross and work good on the street too? Spend $3000 for four IDA48 Webbers and a manifold. No doubt, the best carbs you can buy.

ei vs. carberator...???I think thats a long battle...if you do decide to switch to carb ( I did cause Im not ready to spend time and money learning the EFI stuff yet, lol) I woudl call up a good shop like Pro Sysytem (Patrick James) or Chuck Newtona nd get a recommendation fromt ehm. If you give them some number from your car they will recommend a carb for you or build you a cusotm one and they know their fuel systems very well...

i just made the same leap you are thinking about and its been a long one. i have a mostly stock bottom end and ported heads with an unknown cam and i went with a victor jr manifold and a holley hp series 4150 750 dp. WAY TOO MUCH CARB AND MANIFOLD. my car makes no power below 4000, is disgustingly rich at idle and stutters big time midrange, but once it hits 4k... it launches you back in the seat and doesnt stop pulling till i decide to shift. the manifold and carb were extremely cheap and will support my future mods, but as for now im going to throw a junk 650 on there for practicality. if i were you id go with a performer rpm or rpm air gap manifold and a holey 650 dp. the dominator will be WAY too much carb for a stock motor...or almost any stock bottom end 302 simply because it cant be revved to the dominators potential. i look at it this way cfm=rpm. our stock bottom end is good for ....what....6200...6400? i really dont know. but a holley 650 dp is a good carb and i dont think you can go wrong with it. sorry for the novel but i just went through what you want to do and made my share of mistakes