Egr And Missing Under Heavy Throttle

Ed88

Aug 21, 2017
Ok so when I got my automatic 2001 v6 little over a month ago and the CEL was on. Had it checked and said egr flow insufficient. Decided to go ahead and clean the egr (I know it doesn't always help) but on my way to get the new egr gasket it started having an intermittent misfire. Had that checked cause the CEL blinked. Said cylinder 1 misfire. So I got new plugs and wires along with the egr gasket. The old plugs were completely toast so I assumed that was my misfire problem. After I did everything it was ok for the rest of the day but then last night it started to sputter if I hit the throttle to fast and the CEL came back. But if I ease on it, it's fine. Sounds like a miss. So had the code checked and it's just the egr flow insufficient code again. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Any help is much appreciated.

Eddie

• Sponsors (?)

The usual cause of this EGR problem is blocked EGR passageways inside the throttle body. The passageways get blocked with carbon. On some TB's the only way to fully clean is to remove the TB.

But........It's been my experience that in about half the time this problem is actually a failed DPFE sensor. My advice is if you are sure the passageways are clean, then replace the DPFE sensor.

Damn I didn't even think to check that! I went ahead and ordered the sensor this morning lol oh well at least it'll be new. Plus I've never been one to deny extra parts in case I need them lol