EGR and Smog Pump Eliminator Kits

DoctorB712

Apr 19, 2004
Montreal
I have a couple of tech questions first.
1) What does the EGR valve do?
2) What does the smog pump do?
I welcome technical details.

Ok will taking those offline affect my stang at all? More importantly is it worth the $$$ to do this?

Thanks to anyone who replies

Matt
95GTS

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what I know about deleting the EGR. The best way to delete it is to buy an EGR block off plate and then turn the EGR setting off with either a chip or a tweecer. You can block of the EGR without telling the computer about it, but I have heard it may cause pinging if this is done.
Removing the smog is harmless, cleans up the engine bay, and is very easy to do. If you don't have to pass emissions I would recommend it. Here is what is involved (I have done this): You first need to remove the smog pump from the bracketing and disconnect all the lines attached to it. Then all the smog piping will need to be removed. One piece of tubing goes back to the h-pipe and will need to be plugged. There is some more tubing that goes to the back each head that need to be unbolted and the holes plugged. There are also two very small vacuum lines that will need to be plugged.

Please let me know if I need to be more specific, or someone can come correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps.

Can't seem to find information on EGR removal/Need. Is it worth keeping ? My Smogs already gone. Getting ready to put in a set of new long tube headers be a good time to remove if worth it. :shrug: