EGR and smog removal question...

Vinnietbird

Jun 2, 2005
Can I keep the EGR and remove the smog equipment? If and when I remove the smog equipment,do I just plug up the vaccuum tubes that go to the valve on the hoses?Last question (for now0,can I plug the water lines going into my EGR spacer with no ill effect on the engine?I have an '86 5.0 with an Explorer intake and 1 5/8 headers.Otherwise,stock.Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

EGR and air pump are 2 separate systems so you can remove one and not the other.

To remove the smog system just pull all the stuff out and make sure you cap all the holes left behind.

The egr coolant lines should stay in place. Those lines help to cool the hot exhaust gasses before they enter the intake.

My opinion-
Leave the egr, removing it is not worth the effort as it does have negative consequences and there will be no power gain.

jason

stangnutlx said:
dont the coolant lines flow only through the TB, and reason they are there is to aid in warming air in the winter kind of like a heater tube on a carb vehicle?
On the stock manifold they flow through the egr spacer.
Quicker warmups is only a small side benefit, according to the texts I have found, and it is minimal. On the stock manifold the flow of exhaust gasses through the lower intake would cause more heat build up than those 2 little coolant lines.
This is coming from SAE papers written by automotive engineers. The primary function is to cool the exhaust before it hits the combustion chambers. Too much heat will cause premature detonation.

ninety15.0 said:
i got rid of the colant lines going through the TB with no ill effects. honestly their design and function is kinda stupid.
If they were useless Ford would have saved big $$$ by eliminating them from the design.
I am willing to bet that the ACT is seeing much higher temps now without the coolant lines. If you could check this, I would be very interested in the results. Real world data is always the best. This could be checked with a simple volt meter.
I will be reinstalling my egr this summer, so maybe I will do this myself?

This are the theories that I have grasped onto, but I am always eager to hear differing perspectives.

jason