EGR delete kits????

ninety15.0

Mar 10, 2004
So theres this guy i know who think thats the EGR delete kit from jackson racing actually helped out performance. I tried to explain to him how the computer works at WOT (closed loop) but he still seems to think it helps. I know the EGR is not functioning at WOT and therefore deleting it will not net any additional HP. How does this kit work with the computer. Does it just send a certain voltage signal to the computer tricking it into thinking that the sensor is still in place and functioning? Or does it completely turn off that fuction in the computer like a tweecer? Are there any part throttle gains to be had from this kit? i was under the impression that the EGR can only help...with MPG and emissions at cruise/part throttle...but it does absolutely nothing at WOT. can someone shed some light on this subject so i can put this little arguement to bed?? Also will this type of kit work with 94-95 5.0s ...do sn's have internal EGR provisions like foxes or are they external? i believe they are external. thanks guys:nice:
-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Your friend needs to read an Engine Book on the EGR. :)

Can you provide a link to this kit?
Anyone will need to read a little on it to tell if it disables the egr, or sends a false signal.
I am curious about this kit.

Since the egr never operated at wot (in stock form) there should be no increase in performance. The only possible gain would be from lowering the intake temp, but I would think that to actually hurt performance. Never seen solid data on that though.

If you telling him what you know didn't convince him, then this probably won't help either, but here goes anyway.

from my site... http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/faqs.htm

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is an emissions device that reduces NOx by decreasing the combustion temperature. NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) are only formed when enough Oxygen and Nitrogen are present and combustion temps are very high. Small reductions in combustion temps can have large effects on NOx output. EGR reduces combustion temps by displacing Oxygen from the intake charge with an inert gas (Recirculated Exhaust). The decrease in Oxygen lowers the efficiency of the combustion process, and therefore the peak temperatures reached during combustion.
Due to the decrease in the efficiency of the combustion process, the EEC-IV computers will increase spark advance when the EGR is functioning. The EGR will only function at part throttle conditions. The EGR is turned off at WOT, and therefore has no affect on WOT power.
Since the efficiency of the combustion process is being decreased, less power is being created. This will cause the driver to open the throttle a little more, to maintain an appropriate level of power for the driving situation. An open throttle body is easier for the motor to breathe through - the pumping losses are lower.
Due to the fact that the spark can be advanced and that the throttle can be opened farther (reducing pumping losses), one can actually see a gain in fuel economy due to the use of EGR.

Summary-
The EGR does not affect WOT power, and can improve part throttle fuel economy. Additionally, since the computer is adding spark advance when the EGR should be functioning, removing the EGR (and not telling the computer that the EGR is gone) can result in some very bad ping/detonation at part throttle.

Myth –
Some folks misunderstand what the EGR is, and will tell you that the EGR pulls the exhaust into the combustion chamber to burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust. This myth seems to have originated in the days of carburetion, when the understanding of emissions by the public was still rather poor.