EGR delete

cobraclone95

Aug 22, 2011
I am wanting to delete the egr set up on my 95 gt/cobra clone, I was just wanted to what all I can take off with out messing any thing up. I have a 347 stroker motor with a holley system max intake with all fox body throttle set up on it . I want do away with the egr valve, the plastic line that runs to it and the little black box that the other line runs to. Also where do those hard plastic lines from the egr go to after they go threw the fender? Wanting to clean things up under the hood and start hiding most of the wiring. Any help would be great.
Thanks Tim

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to tune the car? Be sure you know exactly what will happen before you start removing things.

The thin plastic line (there should only be one for the EGR) runs to the EGR solenoid (in the fender).

hissin50 yes i plan on having it tuned soon as get a few other things done to the car.

nota4.6 deleting egr to clean things up and need more for my cai i am building, doing it all in 3 1/2" and with the egr spacer in place the cai hits the strut tower.

You'll probably want to have the vehicle ready to tune before removing the EGR. It's not uncommon to get some pinging with it removed but without a tune.

Once you get a tune it's a non event. Until then, you will get a check engine light, but the car won't run super abnormal, just a little mid throttle pinging like everyone else said. All those plastic lines run up under the passenger side inner fender to a bunch of control solenoids. If you have already removed your smog system, that whole solenoid system can be removed all together. The red line off the back of the intake supplies vacuum to the system. Removed the right front wheel, and the plastic fender guards and those vacuum solenoids are mounted to either 2 or 3 studs clipped to the inner fender there. I don't have a picture handy of those vacuum solenoids, but it is a fairly large assembly. Unplugging it from the computer does not throw a code. Those studs actually offer a great place to mount nitrous solenoids.

DSCN0516.jpg

Kurt

Attachments

• DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,083
You can keep the EGR solenoid connected on the car just push the tip of the plunger half way in. Then zip tie the EGR to the back of the motor somewhere (mine just rested on the transmission). Take the connector with the 4 vacuum lines coming out of the fender and goop clear or black silicone in the holes to clog. Then just tuck the entire thing into the passenger fenderwell. Next put a plate on where the EGR would bolt to the throttle body (Make one or buy one for $9 at UPR). Put rubber vacuum stops on the ports your not using on the throttle body (sold at an auto parts store or make them). Then put a cap on the header where the EGR would bolt to (find at Lowes in the hardware section). With all this done you will not get a check engine light and you won't have any pinging either. My car ran like great like this.

EDIT- I also put a link in the 94-95 Specific Sticky with step by step instructions and items needed to EGR Delete.

I did this to eliminate my CEL, however, since doing this sometimes I experience part throttle hesitation when the car is cold. If I let the plunger all the way out, the CE light will come back on and the hesitation will go away.

You can keep the EGR solenoid connected on the car just push the tip of the plunger half way in. Then zip tie the EGR to the back of the motor somewhere (mine just rested on the transmission). Take the connector with the 4 vacuum lines coming out of the fender and goop clear or black silicone in the holes to clog. Then just tuck the entire thing into the passenger fenderwell. Next put a plate on where the EGR would bolt to the throttle body (Make one or buy one for $9 at UPR). Put rubber vacuum stops on the ports your not using on the throttle body (sold at an auto parts store or make them). Then put a cap on the header where the EGR would bolt to (find at Lowes in the hardware section). With all this done you will not get a check engine light and you won't have any pinging either. My car ran like great like this.

EDIT- I also put a link in the 94-95 Specific Sticky with step by step instructions and items needed to EGR Delete.

Much easier to throw the egr and crap in the garbage and have it tuned. Just my .02

You shouldn't get pinging unless you push the plunger half way in on the sensor. If you just unplug the sensor all together the cel light will come on but the computer will know the egr isn't functioning and you shouldn't get any driveability issues. Atleast mine never pinged and was fine till I got a tweecer to turn it off. A 351 cleveland fuel pump block off plate also works perfectly as a egr block off plate. I found a chrome mr gasketfuel pump block plate at a local speed shop and thought it looked similar so I tried it. It worked perfectly and is still on my cobra intake today.