Egr Idle Question

95blkstang

Jun 30, 2004
I removed the EGR valve from a 94 stock motor. Simply for the reason the after market headers didnt have a port. My question is, is there a way to have a smooth idle after removing. Its clear since removed the idle is not the same. All vacuum lines are plugged. Would a computer tune fix this problem.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 200,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I'm kind of a, lets say inexperienced practitioner of things of the 94-5 variety mustangs but they are basically the same engine wise, so why the need to delete the egr? What port on the headers are you talking about? Or did I miss something in the post?

Ok, I'm kind of a, lets say inexperienced practitioner of things of the 94-5 variety mustangs but they are basically the same engine wise, so why the need to delete the egr? What port on the headers are you talking about? Or did I miss something in the post?
@karthief
Believe the input to the EGR Valve is taken from a port in the RH exhaust header. What I'm wondering is, logically, if EGR "air" is not entering the inlet airstream, will not the result be rich running? EGR input is "unmeasured" air volume. True, much less O2 content than fresh air, but just the same? imp

Is there a difference between the exhaust header from 87-93 and the 94-5? I don't see a port in the exhaust header, so maybe I'm not understanding, help me out here.

Yes the 94-95 car didn't pull EGR gasses internally like the older cars. Instead they pulled it from the header on #3 via a metal tube that connects from the header to the EGR Valve. The system is really a PIA. We ended up capping it on my brother's '95 with no side effects.

It sounds like OP has a set of fox body headers that don't have the port.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes the 94-95 car didn't pull EGR gasses internally like the older cars. Instead they pulled it from the header on #3 via a metal tube that connects from the header to the EGR Valve. The system is really a PIA. We ended up capping it on my brother's '95 with no side effects.

It sounds like OP has a set of fox body headers that don't have the port.
@Dan02gt
Wonder how just deleting the EGR affects fuel consumption? My nephew is faced with that right now, putting a new Motorsports 5.0 HO in a '65 Galaxie. imp

@Dan02gt
Wonder how just deleting the EGR affects fuel consumption? My nephew is faced with that right now, putting a new Motorsports 5.0 HO in a '65 Galaxie. imp

I'm not sure on fuel consumption. My brother's car had a Edelbrock H/C/I package and he drove it like he stole it so we never got any useful data fuel mileage.

@karthief
Believe the input to the EGR Valve is taken from a port in the RH exhaust header. What I'm wondering is, logically, if EGR "air" is not entering the inlet airstream, will not the result be rich running? EGR input is "unmeasured" air volume. True, much less O2 content than fresh air, but just the same? imp

Again, the EGR isn't working at idle, and WOT. It only comes on at cruise.

Regardless, when you delete the EGR and unplug the sensor, the computer sees this is disables the function from the logic. There are resistor kits that are used to simultate "full closed" to allow the EGR function to be disabled, and remove the check engine light as well.

Again, the EGR isn't working at idle, and WOT. It only comes on at cruise.

Regardless, when you delete the EGR and unplug the sensor, the computer sees this is disables the function from the logic. There are resistor kits that are used to simultate "full closed" to allow the EGR function to be disabled, and remove the check engine light as well.
@Mustang5L5
My nephew is installing a 1995 5.0 HO in his '65 Galaxie. The Factory tube headers wouldn't fit the frame, so he's using the stock iron 289-type headers. They of course lack the bung for the EGR pipe, so he will remove and block the EGR inlet to the manifold. He spoke of having ordered a kit which plugs into the harness to simulate the EGR DP sensor input to PCM, just as you say. He intends to employ a CEL. imp

I did a little surfing to inform myself, that was all I got was a little info, I am back in town now, I did find a few header choices for the 94-5s some mentioned the bung for the egr tube was not included, I figure one could be installed if needed but likely still may not pass emission inspections do to lack of carb #'s.

I did a little surfing to inform myself, that was all I got was a little info, I am back in town now, I did find a few header choices for the 94-5s some mentioned the bung for the egr tube was not included, I figure one could be installed if needed but likely still may not pass emission inspections do to lack of carb #'s.
@karthief
The Ford OEM headers are Stainless Steel, and '94, '95 of course have the bung. Other's headers, aftermarket might not, though if specified by year & model, I think they should. Unknown whether the average muffler shop has capability to weld S/S. imp