Engine Egr Pros Enter

2011rustang5o

Jan 5, 2011
Sorry, trying not to be "that guy" making a thread every day.

I think Iv finally got this car running good. This morning I finished my investigation on the vacuum lines specifically the original emissions junk. Deleted everything and figured out the EGR vacuum line had no vacuum. Long story short it has vacuum now.

I tested the EGR with a mighty vac while at idle. Iv read at some point the car should sputter and most likely die. It didn't change a thing. I pulled the EGR off and it was pretty nasty and coated in carbon. It still had flow and still technically worked. I cleaned it up and look at the EGR block on the intake and it's CLEAN! So this tells me this EGR was from the previous motor and hasn't properly worked since. Put the EGR back on and tested with mighty vac at idle again. No change.

Again the car runs great now. The true question is why didn't the car stumble and die when I applied vacuum? I'm just trying to get better gas mileage so I want this EGR doing it's job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

What intake manifold is on the motor? Possible the original owner blocked it or it doesn't have Egr provisions

The egr vacuum goes through a solenoid on the fender. Receives voltage from ecu and opens. If it's bad, or unplugged, it will never open.

The EGR system is working now. It has a track heat intake upper and lower.

Well then to answer your question it should have stumbled a tad. I've typically seen people block them down at the heads when installing an intake. That's why I ask if you are aware of anything like that?

Typically opening the egr at idle will cause some idle change. Maybe not a stumble but you should have noticed it.

Donno if the dude blocked anything off when installing the intake. Just read a thing about the track heat possibly not having provisions. If it doesn't I guess il just delete the EGR.