Engine EGR Vacuum Leak

Jorsh720

Jul 4, 2019
wisconsin
I have been trying to track down all vacuum leaks on my new to me fox, I smoke tested it and found smoke coming out of the holes in the EGR valve. I assumed it was bad EGR so, I bought a new one and had the same thing happen. Is this normal for the EGR to leak out those holes or did I get a lemon?

Thanks
Jorsh720

Last edited:
  • Sponsors(?)

Jorsh720

Jul 4, 2019
wisconsin
I think the EGR must be bad, I just borrowed a vacuum gun and it would not hold 5-10 inches of vacuum for longer than 5 seconds.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
You used the right tools to find the smoking (EGR valve) gun. I hope the rest of the system is leak free and functional. if you are lucky, someone who pulled theirs will send you one for postage or at least a good deal.

StratTone

Feb 7, 2017
I've also seen some new EGRs have leaks. Another spot I think people get some leaks is at the butterfly seal on the throttle body.

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
If the gasket on the end that controls the exhaust gas has anything to do with a leak on the control diaphragm end, the valve is bad. It should be easy to use the vacuum pump and gauge to test one off the car.

I suppose when using a smoke machine that a bad valve to manifold gasket would leak smoke. But that would not be from the holes in the valve.
EGR Gasket?