Eleanor Conversion worth it?

TonyO

Jul 8, 2009
I have a 68 Fastback I'm thinking of converting to an Eleanor clone. I dont plan on doing a crazy engine I want to keep the 302 I have in it. Its a frankenstein car anyway it has fenders from a 67, an FMX tranny, and I dont even know if the 302 is original. should I spend the time restoring it to original or go for the Eleanor conversion? Would it be worth it investment to do a restore or the Eleanor? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever you do with it, you need to really want the final outcome. If you've always liked the idea of an Eleanor, then go for it, they are great looking cars that really seem to hold their value. If you feel your car is rare enough to restore and you've always liked showroom-stock vehicles, then do that. Be aware that stock cars with little or no rare options that are stock don't bring that much money. Fastbacks like yours are valuable cars to start with, so assuming you don't cut the roof off or do something similarly radical, it will always be worth good money. Personally, I bought my fastback with the sole intention of building a Shelby clone. It was a nice, very original car that had been garaged it's whole life and owned by the same lady since it was new. But it was also one of a million having a 2 barrel 289, C4 trans, 8 inch rear and a plain color combo with nearly no options, so to me it was a perfect candidate for a clone. Out came the orginal motor and I gave it away to make room for a 306ci small block. All the nice orginal parts, like the headlight assemblies, the quarter vents, the turn signal hood, and every saveable part that was of some value went on ebay for someone else to use to restore their car. The car is no longer recognizeable as the same car in any way shape or form, and that's just fine with me. Now if it were a 390 GT with all the bells and whistles, I would've restored it, just as you woiuld likely restore your car if it were some highly-optioned car, right? Do what makes you happy with the car and you'll be fine.

I would just give you the advice that the eleanor thing is a fad....they wont hold their value forever, build it for you, not for resale value or build it for resale value if thats what you want, but if it were me I would only build an eleanor because I like the look, not for any other reason

IMO the Eleanor fad is dying down;
But then again i'm referring to the handful of people who are doing it to a coupe. Not that it looks bad or anything but when it comes time to sell no body really wants it; I've seen quite a few sitting on the side of the streets around here with for sale signs for months on end.

A nicely done fastback is a different story i guess.

In the end you're the one that has to drive it, so build to please yourself. And keep in mind that the likelihood of getting everything you put in is probably slim; depending on how far you go of course. :shrug:

My vote goes for no. I think the Eleanor crap is just like what the "tuner" guys do. I don't really care for it at all. I also think it is fad. Some people really like it. I just don't think it is worth it at all.

Last time I checked ebay, the Eleanor "fad" which is nearly 10 years old now, have shown that they still bring the money. I think nicely done modified cars whether you like them or not, still bring more money than low-optioned stockers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...83&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:13|39:1
Here's the proof, its of a completed auction and if anyone can post pics of a non-Eleanor, C-code fastback bringing even half that, I'd sure like to see it. Lke it or not, Eleanor is no longer a fad .

If you decide to build an Eleanor which is a lot of work make sure you buy a good kit. I'm in the middle of building one and we had a major problem with the fiberglass fitting. At this time the best fitting fiberglass I have found is from Mustangs to Fear and they also have a lot of Eleanor parts you will need. I'm trying to decide to use our upper nose which is cut in three pieces to make it fit and still have to figure out how to mount the headlights or buy the Mustang to Fear one piece front that comes with the headlight area already finished.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. This was my first topic and post on this forum. I'm mainly into lowriders and lowrider bicycles. I'm working on a project that I plan to take the Lowrider Bike of the Year title with.

My Mustang is what got me into lowriders actually. I built it up well enough just for local small town car shows, saw some bikes at a show and have been hooked ever since 2000. I wasn't making much money at the time and I figured cars were nothing but money pits anyway. I could dump $10K into a car and not even have it anywhere near where it should be or put $10K into a radical crazy show bike and become a national champion with it.

For the Eleanor thing I dont think its a fad anymore. Its really based off a Shelby the only difference might be the headlight buckets and the two additional lights in the lower valace. Someone mentioned they're a dieing fad for the coupes and I agree. I don't think Eleanor kits belong on coupes at all, I don't even like coupes that much to begin with.

Check out this Eleanor coupe that sold on Ebay last week:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&salenotsupported

Item number: 230351942047

That poor guy is trying to send his kid to college so he sold his baby. It brought $16K which is no joke so its not like doing an Eleanor kit will ruin the value. Being in the world of custom building I know that any custom is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, there is no blue book or NADA or anything to tell people what custom items are worth. I've seen people build $10K lowrider bikes and sell them for $4K but I've also seen people put $2K into a bike and double their investment in a sale.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the conversion because I don't plan on ever selling the car anytime soon and its just been sitting in my yard for the past 5 years. I've had about 20 people wanting to buy it for me and I'm making more money now than I did when I first bought it so I figure its time to start it up again and build it to my specs. It has no matching numbers, nothing rare about it so I figure its a perfect candidate for an Eleanor.

i agree with the others that you should build the car you want. i will however caution you to take care in your thinking about what you want from the car. if you are doing a show car or a cruise night car, go for it, but if you plan on actually driving the car more than just a friday night cruise, you might end up like a lot of custom car owners and you become very nervous about parking the car out of your sight for any period of time. remember that you are going to have a large amount of money invested in everything from body work to paint, not to mention the mechanicals and interior.

in the end the choice is yours to make.

Thanks

i agree with the others that you should build the car you want. i will however caution you to take care in your thinking about what you want from the car. if you are doing a show car or a cruise night car, go for it, but if you plan on actually driving the car more than just a friday night cruise, you might end up like a lot of custom car owners and you become very nervous about parking the car out of your sight for any period of time. remember that you are going to have a large amount of money invested in everything from body work to paint, not to mention the mechanicals and interior.

in the end the choice is yours to make.

Thanks. I built the car up before so it still has the interior and all. I have a friend who will do the kit and paint for me. He has experience building, painting, working on mechanical systems, etc. Although he's more into Impalas, Regals, Cadillacs, and lowriders he can still take on this project and push out a good job. You guys are all right, I'm building it for me not for some judge or expert to come in and tell me its worthless. I plan on keeping all my old parts so I can restore it back if I ever wanted to but I plan to build it for myself anyway.

I'm actually thinking of buying one of these kits. They have a louvered hood which looks kind of cool and adds a modern tweak to the regular Eleanor hoods. What do you guys think?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&salenotsupported

Item number: 250387528712

I've seen the Mustangs to Fear kits but they're twice as much as this guy's kit. The difference is the MTF kits are hand made and these are machine made. I dont know what the trade off is really as long as you have a good body man that can work around it right? :shrug:

Don't price-shop when it comes to fiberglass. I did all the work on mine and I can honestly tell you that I would've been money ahead to pay twice the price for good-fitting stuff. A local shop charged a local Mustang owner $1200 to fit his fiberglass cowl hood a couple years ago. That means if he paid $500 for the hood, $100 for shipping and $1200 (not counting paint) then he has an $1800 hood. That makes the good stuff seem pretty cheap when you figure all the parts on an Eleanor fastback, doesn't it?