Electric fan and keeping the stock shroud

DMAN302

My mom says thanks for the pearl necklace.
Nov 8, 2003
windsor, Canada
Will the 16" electric fans fit in the stock shroud..it's a part of the car I like and would really like to keep it in place...the fan is a budget autoparts store fan but since my stocker is keeping things perfect I believe the electric fan should be more than adequate...I have NOT had any issues or temp worries with the stocker. My alt is a 100 amp tuff stuff chrome pc so I will not be upgrading the alt either..just for note, thanks for any thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

The stock fan is almost always adequate, most of the time much better than an electric. Only issue with a stock fan is that at idle, because it slows down, it doesn't draw enough air through the a/c condenser to keep the a/c cold.
You speak of it as if you think you are replacing it with something better, but it sounds that you are putting in something worse.
Since your stock fan is fine, i would not mess with it, for some cheapo fan.
Don't forget with an electric fan you should use a controller, and a relay setup, neither of which are all that cheap.

I gotta agree Derek. That is, unless this is in the quest for a magic dyno number and you know the stock fan (which can yank considerable CFM's) is way overkill, and that a lesser fan will work alright.

You know I'm skewed on all this and think more is better (for me it is) - the SN95 barely barely cuts it in the heat here. :puke:

starting to rethink the idea as I research the cost of an adequate set up..after checking my coolant ratio I think I may try pulling a few liters of (sorry a few quarts :) ) of coolant and replace with water to aquire a ratio closer to 70/30. I'm presently running OK in city 182-4 and but eleveated on highway (5 degrees higher) and think this will bring me down a few points...just a thought.

I have played with the idea of using the stock shroud & an electric fan. If you could find a very thin fan, it is an excellent idea. The problem I had was that you only have 4 1/2"-5" of usable space between the stock radatior and the front of the water pump. By the time I got the fan nicely fitted to the shroud, it was way way out of clearance.

I bought a Mark VIII fan on ebay for $40 delivered and bought a dccontroller for another $60. I had to cut about an inch of the Mark VIII shroud off to get it to clear the pump pulley face & bolts, but once that was done, I cut slits in the bottom for the stock shroud clips and pop-riveted small aluminum "L" brakets in the stock locations for the upper bolts. Looks pretty factory. Oh, had to move the overlfow tank to the other side too.

A Mr Gasket 16 inch fan will fit within the stock fan shroud Part Number: 1988. Thats what I had on my car until I installed the Mark VIII fan. The Mr Gasket fan couldnt pull enough cfm through my 3 core radiator to use A/C and cool the car w/o heating up in Dallas traffic in the Texas heat...

Its a direct mount on the radiator and should be more than enough with a stock radiator.
CFM: 2000, RPM: 1900, AMP Draw: 11.4.
1988.jpg

Tom, you did a nice job on the install. Clean. :nice:

AF93S, my hat's off to you - in the kind of heat you see, I'm surprised that little bugger worked so well for you. A Dc Controlled SN95 fan barely cuts it for me.

i have an electric fan and i live in lower Texas next to mexico and some times i get scared when i see the temp rise up like it does.... but i have a cheepo car quest fan that a friend gave me,and im not using a shroud with a stock water pump but my radiator does help(fluidyne rad)

Looking for a Mark 8 fan but for now i think i'll get a higher flowing pump .

tmoss said:
Why the switch if the Mr Gasket did the job?

It worked okay until it started getting hot out. We had a week back in March when it went over 100 and the a/c wasnt cool and I got stuck in traffic and the car was overheating (240+ on the autometer gauge)

Like I said in my previous post, it just wasnt pulling enough air through my 3 core radiator.

I figured the Mark VIII was worth a shot and so far this summer its not gone over 200 with the a/c blasting in traffic.

Almost enough, but not quite. We get the same heat/humidity here in MO and the Mark VIII takes it in stride.

If you guys use a dccontroller with a Mark VIII - be sure to wire the dccontroller to the fan high speed winding.