Electric Fan Questions:

Electric water pumps are only for dyno pulls or drag racing IMO, not for the real world. Contrary to what allcarfan suggests, I perceive no benefit in trying to thermostatically control the pump. The only time it isn't running is before the engine is up to thermostat temperature. At that point, if the water recirculation is shut down, the engine temperature will rocket back in a matter of seconds, and the pump just comes back on. Maybe you could get away with it in Fairbanks, AK, dead of winter with -60 degree F air blasting past your engine block.

• Sponsors (?)

One of the reasons I'm going electric is because my current fan is not shrouded. It scares me. I like the idea of leaning over my engine and not losing any digits. I don't feel like spending a hundred bucks on a shroud. Electrics look cool, you can toggle swith them, and they come with shrouds. You also have more room in the engine compartment.

I just wanted to know what kind would be recommended and if thru mounting on the radiator core was a bad idea?

SPAL

I wouldnt mount it through the radiator and I wouldnt mount it in front of the radiator. Disregard the links that I posted, they are incorrect. However, streetortrack.com will have what you are looking for. Just remember to measure twice, fit/cut once.

Shane

Not an expert but don't Mercedes, Ferarri, Porsche and less impressive Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM..... use electrical fans??? I can't think pretty much everyone has switched because it's less efficient and reliable.

ALL transverse cars have electric fans because the engine is sitting sideways and you cant have a fan on the front of the engine. Mercedes uses them in addition to the engine driven fan. And I would assume the rest use them because the epa is making them squeeze every bit of fuel effeciency out of them and the engine driven fan uses HP.

non of those are reasons to follow suit.. :D

no man..they are better..lol..i have a recently flushed out rad, engine runs SO well etc etc, blah blah, and i overheat in traffic. the motor driven fan does not cool efficiently when stopped. PERIOD, you can't argue against that..it is made for 25 MPH speeds, and everything above that doesn't matter because it's being force fed by driving..under 25 MPH it isn't efficient enough to cool..BOTH would be my choice just because i would like the elec fan as a backup.turn it on durring traffic instead of my heater..

rebel65 said:
no man..they are better..lol..i have a recently flushed out rad, engine runs SO well etc etc, blah blah, and i overheat in traffic. the motor driven fan does not cool efficiently when stopped. PERIOD, you can't argue against that..it is made for 25 MPH speeds, and everything above that doesn't matter because it's being force fed by driving..under 25 MPH it isn't efficient enough to cool..BOTH would be my choice just because i would like the elec fan as a backup.turn it on durring traffic instead of my heater..

Actually I can argue against that, if your overheating at idle then something isn't right. I've owned a rad shop for the past 25 years and I've been threw this a thousand times. If your rad is big enough and is performing properly and you have a good fan blade, and shrowd you will not find an electric fan that will work better...PERIOD (in your words) :D

WORTH said:
Actually I can argue against that, if your overheating at idle then something isn't right. I've owned a rad shop for the past 25 years and I've been threw this a thousand times. If your rad is big enough and is performing properly and you have a good fan blade, and shrowd you will not find an electric fan that will work better...PERIOD (in your words) :D

OK, once again I bring in my '04 Century. The motor sits sideways...already mentioned that. The temp does creep up to a certain point in stop and go traffic, but doesn't overheat. I think it is a design flaw or just a fact of life. The nose of the car, and the spoiler effects channel air into the fan.( and snow as well) :notnice: It will pack the entire area from ground to hood, tight. Guess you aren't supposed to drive in snow more than 5 inches deep. The designers were counting on the car actually moving to help with the cooling.

my rad is the high performance 65 rad, i have a high performance fan also..i don't have a shroud, my rad has been thouroghly cleaned, i don't know how much traffic or heat there is in MA, but in Cali traffic in 90+ degree heat is a very common thing..i don't mean stop and go...i mean stop and wait a good 2-4 minutes before you move 5 feet. i end of taking longer routes so that i keep moving.

rebel65 said:
my rad is the high performance 65 rad, i have a high performance fan also..i don't have a shroud, my rad has been thouroghly cleaned, i don't know how much traffic or heat there is in MA, but in Cali traffic in 90+ degree heat is a very common thing..i don't mean stop and go...i mean stop and wait a good 2-4 minutes before you move 5 feet. i end of taking longer routes so that i keep moving.

Most "HIGH PERFORMANCE" fans don't pull much air, they are designed to add HP by not pulling air, and you really should have a shrowd if your running 90 degree days.

By your statement, in 1966 non of us were able to drive our cars in traffic because we would all be overheating, funny I don't remember having a problem, and there were no electric fans on anything.

WORTH said:
Most "HIGH PERFORMANCE" fans don't pull much air, they are designed to add HP by not pulling air, and you really should have a shrowd if your running 90 degree days.

By your statement, in 1966 non of us were able to drive our cars in traffic because we would all be overheating, funny I don't remember having a problem, and there were no electric fans on anything.

I do. Course, there were underlying problems, same as today.

okay I got a new 4 core radiator, new shrowd, new fan, and everything else is new (hoses, heater core, thermostat, etc...) all sitting correct and pulling like it should. I still creep to 200+ in 80 degree weather when sitting for a few minutes. everything checks out, it just runs hot for some reason.

It is not hot all the time here so not a big problem just a pain in the butt when you really wanna cruise around and you cant cuz you are afraid to risk all the other new parts!

I am seriously considering the electric route as well.

cardude said:
okay I got a new 4 core radiator, new shrowd, new fan, and everything else is new (hoses, heater core, thermostat, etc...) all sitting correct and pulling like it should. I still creep to 200+ in 80 degree weather when sitting for a few minutes. everything checks out, it just runs hot for some reason.

It is not hot all the time here so not a big problem just a pain in the butt when you really wanna cruise around and you cant cuz you are afraid to risk all the other new parts!

Might be you warmed it up too much.

cardude said:

If your temp guage is acurate, 200 is not a problem, I run a 195 t-stat, mine is always around 200. with a 13 lb cap you can run about 240-250 without overheating.