Electric Fan

Rmoore45

Jun 5, 2011
My cooling system can't keep up with south Texas heat, I need to find an electric fan to replace the mechanical fan on the motor. I'm looking for recommendations for electric fans, what is a good fan to use? I'm open to all suggestions for electric fans such as taking a fan off of a different vehicle and using it on my '67 mustang 289. I have a 20" wide aluminum radiator with 1" tubes and everything is fine as long as I'm moving, but once I stop (especially when I have the A/c on) the temp gauge starts going up.

I've been to a few car shows in my area looking for ideas but I figured I would ask the forum for some feedback. I want to do this right the first time, I don't want to have cooling problems ever again after getting an electric fan.

Thanks, Ranger

• Sponsors (?)

Well, before you add a complex electric fan system to your car, what fan do you have? I'm running a stock 7-blade thermal clutch fan in my 66, which was adequate for a 289HP engine with AC in south Florida summers. A clutch fan and shroud could be installed in under an hour with no wiring or water sensors needed.

As of right now I have a 6 blade fan with a fan shroud, no fan clutch. I'm tired of trying different ways to solve the problem with a mechanical fan, nothing works. I would rather get rid of the mechanical fan completely and just run an electric fan.

If your core is at least 20" wide you could fit a Taurus fan. Undoubtedly the best fan for the money.It is a little power hungry, so will probably need a better alternator. It draws about 46 amps at start up and right under 30A continuous.

Have you measured the water temp to see if the guage is reading right? I fought for YEARS my car running hot.Bought everything from a Brassworks water pump to Be Cool radiator($$$$). After year of chasing my tail, i found out my Autometer mechanical guage was reading 20* higher.I now have a Taurus Fan, 27" wide Summit aluminum radiator and Meziere 55 gpm electric water pump. My car will run all day 172-180* might hit 185 in HEAVY traffic.

Thanks for the information guys. My core is exactly 20" wide so I'm thinking that I'm going to get a Taurus fan. As of right now I have a stock 65 amp alternator, once I get the fan installed I'll see if I need to upgrade or not. I'm guessing that I will but I'm not going to upgrade if I don't have to.

On my 66 I replaced the stock fan setup with an expensive $300 fan made for our cars. After the install I had power issues, so I upgraded my alternator to 100 amps and still had power issues. Those fans just draw so much power. I also would notice that on the highway my temperature would slowly rise on hot days. 180, 185, 190, 195,.....215.... Once I got off the highway it would go back down.

So after all that I went to a clutch fan, a 4 inch shroud, with my stock radiator and my Mustang has never been happier. :)

K.I.S.S.