Electric or mechanical Autometer water temp guage, whats more accurate?

• Sponsors (?)

I have one now and ive had one before and both seemed to work very well. Never had any issues with either so Id say they are pretty accurate. Much better then the stock gauge

Elec don't have as great of a sweep (thus they are not as accurate simply because of the scaling), are susceptable to sender degradation, and are reliant on the E-system being up to par.

That said, your new gauge will be accurate and tell you what's up. :nice:

Well, the mechanical water temp gauge doesn't actually run coolant into the interior. The mechanical oil gauge has a restrictor in it, so it doesn't run much oil into the car. With the oil pressure gauge it's always a good idea to run a copper line instead of the cheap plastic one. The only one that is really dangerous is the fuel pressure gauge. You can run an isolator, but then it can be innacurate.

Kurt

You're right Eddie. They've been out for a few years. I don't assume that most people are talking about them because they're so expensive. A bad assumption on my behalf.

Dont you guys get nervous running coolant/oil into the interior with mechanical gauges? whenever i decide to buy a couple gauges, they are going to be electric

The Temp gauge has a line that is sealed and filled no coolant enters the line or your interior.
There is a big sensor "Bulb" end so you need a big hole in the firewall to run it through. You also need a big hole in the manifold to put the sensor into.
This filled line cannot be kinked in any way. As the liquid expands inside it makes the gauge move.

I think Mechanical are more accurate.... much more of a pain to install over electric!