Electric radiator fan recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

I think one strong point of the contour fan is that it does cover the entire radiator, especially when used with the LMR brackets.

With the entire open surface covered, the fans are drawing air through the entire radiator.

1646944568781.png

1646944611310.png

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Mike that one of the big advantages of the Contour fans is it completely covers a stock size rad.

I made my own frame to mount the fan to. I used 1x1 angle like so.

IMG_0814.JPG

The fans fit inside and then I drilled and rivetted the fans to the frame. I applied some foam tape to get a good seal to the rad and help prevent any damage from frame rubbing on rad fins.

IMG_0844.JPG

I then mounted the stock overflow bottle. First with zipties (for about 2 years) and later with some fabricated brackets.

20180816_104957.jpg

Clearance to front belt.

IMG_0845.JPG

And overflow clears, not by much but it clears.

20201103_120653_HDR.jpg

My rad in all of these pics is a OEM style, 3 row (instead of factory 2 row).

For me, B4 any changes, I'd ck whats there 1st. But... it seems what U have is good (might B 'better', no need for 'best'). Again for me. "...Cooling System Dx?..."

There are abt a doz things U can wrk with to effect running temps. The big one - proper tune.
Here's the areas:

• leaks in system; air in system
  • correct shroud (fan 1/2 in/1/2 out unless 'flex', that = 3/4 in)
  • coolant - mix, additives, age, cleanliness;
  • water pump - operation, condition; cavitation;
  • heater core - leaks, condition, it’s fan on/off;
  • block - water passages;
  • hoses - collapse, leaks;
  • thermostat - condition, temp rating;
  • radiator (sz, # rows, clean?, construction, materials - I like ol style copper)
  • radiator cap - pressure rating, condition, design;
  • fan (blades, design, clutch)
  • flush system last yr. or 2?
I'd suggest a simple shroud addition, "Over heat" means puck out the system. U don't have that. Might B less concerned~

Last edited:
I like the sn95 fans if you don’t mind making one work, or if you have an aluminum radiator you can weld a couple bungs on.

If not, we’ve had good luck with 2 of these and the shroud from lmr. Their house brand fans royally suck, but their shroud works good for these. Just need to drill mounting holes for them, but that only takes a couple mins.

I like the sn95 fans if you don’t mind making one work, or if you have an aluminum radiator you can weld a couple bungs on.

If not, we’ve had good luck with 2 of these and the shroud from lmr. Their house brand fans royally suck, but their shroud works good for these. Just need to drill mounting holes for them, but that only takes a couple mins.

I have the same one and it was ok till you sit in traffic with the ac on. It was rated at like 2000 cfm IIRC and the contour fans are like 3000+.
just my experience.

I ran a 94-95 fan for 20 years on my car. Worked quite well and plenty of power.

Only really I changed was because the Countour fan (and LMR brackets) mounted up much cleaner.

Gotcha. I installed 2 of the fans I linked on a friend’s 87 and they do a good job keeping it cool. They sure move a lot more air than the lmr ones that were on before.

So I got the Contour fans and the summit controller I talked about earlier. Wired everything up and it works great. Keeping it nice and cool so far. I don't drop below 14 volts while both fans are running at idle, but that means nothing in terms of amps. I'm looking into alternator upgrade next.
Fans.jpg

FanCnt.jpg

Did my best with some convoluted tubing.

Reactions: 1 user