Electric radiator fan recommendations?

"...barely sufficient for the stock..."
Hummm
"...130A alt with these fans..."

"...Ck the system needs (add in the fan)
compaire to alt output. Some research'n math will assist (in anawering the Q)......"
My suggestion is the 65$ 3G (1994 +, saves the dash light for alt + has some bennies over '1 wire') internally regulated from DB Electric (for example). But ahma cheepo & havea '70.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

"...barely sufficient for the stock..."
Hummm
"...130A alt with these fans..."

"...Ck the system needs (add in the fan)
compaire to alt output. Some research'n math will assist (in anawering the Q)......"
My suggestion is the 65$ 3G (1994 +, saves the dash light for alt + has some bennies over '1 wire') internally regulated from DB Electric (for example). But ahma cheepo & havea '70.
I didn't understand any of that, are you agreeing with me?

adding a cautionary note & breifly stating how to avoid.

If U can do the math (addition) and research (ID component draw) U can C how many amps/volts your
e;e system draws (may B the guys here can advise instead) and look on alternater to C it's output (many
havea tag). Then compair to C if it has a lill reserve so as to not B overwhelmed.

As stated, these fans can draw alota power. U are customizing a system. Any time U mod on 1 part of a system
it effects all the others. This car was not designed for this fan. That may B enuff detail. I am often accused of writing in short hand, HTH

The contour fan draws 25-28amps continuous when running full speed. At startup, they can draw over 100A, however this is for less than 1 second. With proper wiring sizing this usually isn't an issue.

A 130A alt is plenty to support the fan, and should be a pretty basic mod that most foxbody guys should consider before going E fan. Even the 110amp 6G alt would work.

You don't need a 200A alternator for a basic fox with an E-fan added on. Most folks don't even properly size the wire for 200Amps anyway.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
chrisful... can you write your thought/questions/statements in full sentences. I think I understand what you are typing but too many words are missing (your short hand).

Are you asking, questioning, telling, scolding or preaching? Like many emails your tone is all over the place, likely due to incomplete sentences.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Went to a local junkyard and pulled a 130amp from a 2000 Mustang. $50 total. Tested it at O'Reillys before I installed just to be safe.
Alternator.jpg

I followed an upgrade guide I found online and used 4 gauge wire with a 175 amp fuse to replace the factory wiring... My factory lead going to the solenoid was all burnt up and had partially melted. Additionally, the plastic plug on the factory alternator was all melted and charred. Very glad I found this before it became a serious issue! Why did Ford use 14 gauge wire for 65 amps!?!

adding a cautionary note & breifly stating how to avoid.

If U can do the math (addition) and research (ID component draw) U can C how many amps/volts your
e;e system draws (may B the guys here can advise instead) and look on alternater to C it's output (many
havea tag). Then compair to C if it has a lill reserve so as to not B overwhelmed.

As stated, these fans can draw alota power. U are customizing a system. Any time U mod on 1 part of a system
it effects all the others. This car was not designed for this fan. That may B enuff detail. I am often accused of writing in short hand, HTH
Jesus Christ, would it kill you to type complete words?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
When I did my 3g upgrade, I hooked it up just like my Windstar and Freestar's at the time. 4 ga wire from alternator post directly to the battery +. No fuse, nothing in between. I figured if it was good enough for Ford, it is good enough for me. I am actually using a Freestar cable to make the connection.

When I did my 3g upgrade, I hooked it up just like my Windstar and Freestar's at the time. 4 ga wire from alternator post directly to the battery +. No fuse, nothing in between. I figured if it was good enough for Ford, it is good enough for me. I am actually using a Freestar cable to make the connection.
Well I DID add a mega fuse back when I upgraded to 3g, and a few years later the 3g blew and luckily so did the fuse. Murphy's law.

Well I DID add a mega fuse back when I upgraded to 3g, and a few years later the 3g blew and luckily so did the fuse. Murphy's law.

I ran no fuse for the longest time as well. I did recently install one. I know OEMs don’t fuse them typically but it doesn’t mean you can’t fuse it anyway.

All it takes is that one rare occurrence be and you are glad you went the extra step. I would hate to see anyone lose their car over a fluke electrical fire.

The #1 thing to remember with fusing is you are protecting the weakest part of the circuit which is usually the wire. You want the fuse to be the weakest link, so rate it for the wire size. Your average electrically-stock Fox with a E-fan can easily get away with a 110/130A alt. That's 4G wire and a 125A fuse. There's no need for a bigger alt on these cars. (not that anyone here suggested that) You're never going to pull 130A continuously on that setup. You might get a couple momentary spikes above 100A when the fan/hvac motor kicks on, but these are short lived and not an issue. Sustained, i don't think i've ever seen more than 60-70 amps on my car with EVERYTHING on and the E-fan blowing away. If you are having issue maintaining 14V at idle, look into your pulley size.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user