Electrical and other assorted questions, 95 5.0 Mustang GT

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
Well I'm new to both mustangs and driving and have only been on the road for about a month. This car has been with my family since 95' and has faced a lot of neglect and work. So starting out I had a few problem questions and opinions needed, thanks!

1. My dome lights do not work, though all the bulbs are still good and all the fuses in both boxes are good, so any ideas where a short in the wire, or wear would be?
2. Would the film in my gauge clusters be green or blue (i've seen a lot of debate on this and nothing too specfic, I don't want to have to replace the backing for a blue glow but if I have to that's fine too).
3. Does anyone have schematics for the mach 460 speaker system? Mine has a lot of issues going on, back amps or speakers don't work.
4. This one is also a wire issue and kind of out there. When I press my automated lock buttons they don't lock or unlock the doors, they turn on the dash lights and I think they're called running lights too. Ideas on that?
5. How much would a back end paint job run, color is Laser Red(E9)? Full body paint job?
6. I ran my engine for codes and came up with 311 and 314, I read a little bit about what they are and don't really understand what the issue is or what I can do to fix it.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you definitely have an electrical short somewhere. Most times it's cause of a bad alarm install, or an old alarm was taken out and the wiring not properly repaired. Check under the steering column and see if the wiring is intact.

The film in the cluster is blue, but not easily removable. The cluster looks green because the bulbs give off a yellow tint. You can get blue in the cluster by replacing the bulbs with WLED-5 cool white bulbs from superbrightleds.com. There was a thread a while back, do a search for "led cluster" and you should find it.

Don't have a schematic handy, but I know a decent amount about the Mach 460 system. The Mach 460 amp is below the radio; the rear deck wiring goes from the center amp up and across the driver's side of the dash, then down the left side of the car. The plastic trim below the door just pulls off (takes a good yank), then you can peel back the carpet to see the chassis wiring harness. The Mach 460 harness will be clipped to the main harness, and runs all the way back to the rear tray. This long harness is split in two via a connector behind kick panel behind the driver's left foot.

If your Stang came with the Mach 460 from the factory, the first part of the harness (from the center amp to the driver's kick panel) will be spliced into the dash harness. If the Mach 460 was added later, the harness will be separate and clipped to the dash harness. I think the harness only has 3 or 4 wires to it, it's much smaller than the large wire bundles for the chassis harness. Hopefully this will give you a jump start on finding your wiring issue.

As to your codes, those both have to do with the emissions system. Leading from the driver's fender near the air filter, you should find 4 colored plastic hoses. Two lead to emissions parts under the intake hose; the other two lead under the intake and hook to the EGR valve and the intake. Basically, these parts work off of engine vacuum - if they are cracked, the system won't work right. It's also common to switch the hoses between the EGR and the intake, since they're right next to each other. The green one goes to the EGR, the red goes to the intake.

Thanks for the generous repsonse, I'm really surprised how quick and helpful this is, especially for my first thread here.
I'll order those leds then, and I can't take a look at any of these things till the weekend but it'll give me some internet time to familiarize myself with the emissions issue. But really thanks!

You're welcome. This forum has some of the nicest and most helpful folks I've found on the internet, which is why I've stuck around for so long. As long as you are willing to learn and take advice, you'll have a great experience here. :SN: