Electrical Gauges, Mechanical Gauges, I need help deciding please.

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
Ok, i have a 91 lx converted to carb, and im in need of gauges. I would like to know what are some good quality, but not ridiculously overpriced gauges. These are the ones im thinking i need:

1. Low pressure liquid filled fuel pressure gauge (will probably be mounted outside the car in the engine bay, inline with the carb.

2. Oil pressure (how do i know if i want electrical or mechanical, what are the pros and cons?)

3. Water temperature (same as above, elec or mech.?)

4. Oil temperature (same as above, elec or mech.?)

5. A/F gauge (i am under the impression that i need to retain 02 sensors to use this, is that correct? i have also heard that autometer makes an a/f gauge that comes with a sensor specific for this)

I already have a tach, so thats not an issue. I have been hearing that stewart warner makes good quality gauges, and thier prices seem reasonable, would that be a good choice of brand?

Thanks in advance for any help or info!

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed Autometer electric Oil pressure,Water Temp, and Volt gauges in my 88 LX and they seem to be very accurate. They are easy to install. From what I read the difference is mostly the price and easy install. The one thing I would recommend is the full swipe gauges. I didn't but I'm still happy with them. www.autometer.com

i would be weary about runnin the fluids inside the car. leaks could be dangerous.

im runnun electric water temp and oil press gauges and they work just fine and seem quite accurate. very simple to install as well

So if im understanding this, the main difference between the electrical and mechanical is the electrical goes off of a sending unit with some wires, and the mechanical actually carries the fluids to the gauge. are there any noticeable differences besides running that tubing to the mechanical ones being a pain in the ass?

I prefer the mechanical oil and water over the electrical.

I buy the copper tubing kit for $8.95 for the oil pressure gauge and the water gauge DOES NOT carry fluid inside the car.

A big advantage to me about the mechanical water temp gauge over the electrical is that it does not need power to give you a reading. The mechanical gauge reads actual temp all the time without having to turn the key on or start the car.

Think of it as sticking a thermometer right into your coolant and getting a reading instantly.

Electrical gauges work just fine as well but I just prefer mechanical.

04sleeper said:
I prefer the mechanical oil and water over the electrical.

I buy the copper tubing kit for $8.95 for the oil pressure gauge and the water gauge DOES NOT carry fluid inside the car.

A big advantage to me about the mechanical water temp gauge over the electrical is that it does not need power to give you a reading. The mechanical gauge reads actual temp all the time without having to turn the key on or start the car.

Think of it as sticking a thermometer right into your coolant and getting a reading instantly.

Electrical gauges work just fine as well but I just prefer mechanical.

damn i had my mind set on electrical till you said that... makes sense... how hard is it to not kink that copper tubing, and do you ever have any leak problems?

I also prefer mechanical gauges. The full sweep is alot easier to read. As for not kinking the copper hose you just have to be carefull mouting it and it's a good idea to sheath it in something like rubber vaccum line so it doesn't rub anything.

I had electric autometers before switching to my mechanical ones. I will stick with mechanicals from now on.

The Shape said:
I also prefer mechanical gauges. The full sweep is alot easier to read. As for not kinking the copper hose you just have to be carefull mouting it and it's a good idea to sheath it in something like rubber vaccum line so it doesn't rub anything.

I had electric autometers before switching to my mechanical ones. I will stick with mechanicals from now on.

Well i see youre in arkansas, so get your ass down here to louisiana and help me install this crap :D thanks for the insight though.. i guess im going to start looking at mechanical ones now.

FarBeyondDriven said:
damn i had my mind set on electrical till you said that... makes sense... how hard is it to not kink that copper tubing, and do you ever have any leak problems?
The Shape pretty much said it.

I just took my time and ran it. I didn't really find it and more difficult than running wires.

I have run them in different cars for 15 years now and never had any leak problems.

The gauge will come with plastic tubing but I felt better with the copper.

04sleeper said:
The Shape pretty much said it.

I just took my time and ran it. I didn't really find it and more difficult than running wires.

I have run them in different cars for 15 years now and never had any leak problems.

The gauge will come with plastic tubing but I felt better with the copper.

I know im asking alot, but i really appreciate the info. Would you mind explaining where you routed the lines and where you actually have the gauges mounted? do the sending units usually come with the gauges etc... ? like i said, i have completely taken my motor apart, put it back together, but i have neevr messed with gauges..

As for my gauges I have one of the plates that mounts them under the radio. I just routed my lines through the rubber boot around the steering column and then behind the console to the gauges. By mounting them there I don't have any tight bends and it was an easy installation.

A point that JRichker brought up the other day that I never considered:
Motor vibration causing the copper line to crack at the point of attachment to the hex tube..........

Seems like it could happen. But there ain't much other line-media choice in the same price range...........

Oh, I run elec OP gauges in pillar pods and mech water temp gauges for the reasons that Kevin and James mentioned :nice: .

I like mechanical myself. I believe they react quicker and are more accurate but that could probably be argued. I absolutely dont like the short sweep that you get with most electrical guages so mechanical have the extra advantage of being affordable compared to the way overpriced full sweep versions of electrical guages. The only downside to me as that they might be a little more difficult to install since you have to deal with the temp capulary and finding a hole big enough to snake it through etc. I have run mechanical guages for 20 years and have never had one leak inside the car. I would not of course run a mechanical fuel press guage inside without an isolator. And I would ditch the A/F guage because its nothing but pretty lights. Save the money you would spend on that and the oil temp guage and put it toward a wideband guage.

I agree 100% when I had my short sweep autometer electric oil pressure guage I didn't really find it any easier to read than the stocker. The width of the needle seemed like about 5 p.s.i. I like my full sweep mechanicals because I know EXACTLY what my oil presure is down to the last pound.

I also felt like there was room for error with the electrical gauge because I was depending on my 20 year old electrical system. I figured if say the system wasn't charging correctly it could effect the readings. That isn't a concern with mechanicals.

I opted for electric because for me, it was easier routing wires than tubing, I do have one Vac gauge which was pretty easy since it taps into the tree. Mech gauges are suppose to be more accurate but I can live with a little inaccuracy. With my luck I would melt or crack any other lines that connect to the engine. I do like the fact that you don't have to provide power to see what the readings are though... maybe the next car... that doesn't have so much junk under the dash.
Kevin

I'd go with the electrical if you want an easy install and know about electricity.

Stated before was that electrical gauges do not work while the car is off.

You can always put them into a voltage source that is on all the time and they will read. They don't take much power to run them either.

I prefer to run mechanical gauges over electrics myself.

I have a mechanical nitrous, oil pressure and water temp gauge in the car. I have stainless braided AN lines for both the nitrous and oil pressure gauges just to makes sure that there are no leaks. The water temp of course has the factory capillary tube. The only electrical gauge that I own is the trans temp gauge and that is only cause I got a really good deal on it.