Electrical gremlins

blue71mustang

Jul 6, 2007
Help, I'm having electrical gremlins. I don't normally mind but I have no brake lights and can't keep a 30 amp fuse in the slot for more than 1 pump of the pedal.
I'm posting in 2.3 and 5.0 forums since its not an engine specific problem.

I'm looking for ideas for somewhere to start, maybe someones had a similar experience and can save me some headache and hours with a meter.

Anyhow, heres whats going on.... I noticed about a week ago cruise control wasn't working. I did a KOER test on Friday and got a code for brake lights out. Tested hazards, they are out. Checked fused, blown...replaced with 20 amp to get me brakes and get me home.

Noticed Sat. morning, no brakes, no hazards again. Was on the road to work, so I replaced with 30 amp. Heard it blow as soon as I touched the brake pedal. When I got to work, I pulled both brake bulbs, all looked good. I tried a new 30 amp fuse with no bulbs in the sockets, blew on first pump of pedal.

Now here's my current list of faults

1. I have no horn, but cig lighter on same fuse works, fuse good
2. No interior lights on my convertible. The mirror fell off the window and I had to reattach the mirror. When I plugged it back in, blown fuses. Left unplugged fuse good.
3. No cruise control, no hazards no brake lights. Hazards will work with a fresh fuse but first touch of brake pedal blows fuse. Haven't re-tested for cruise because I can't keep brake lights long enough.
4. Water Temp gauge reads extremely low, never gets over 140-145. I have heat without problems. New thermostat, new coolant temp sensor. I had code for temp sensor, but not repeated after sensor replacement.
5. Voltage gauge intermittently reads low or jitters in place. Sometimes reads 10 volts charging for days at a time. No battery issue though always starts first crank instantly. No low battery crank, all lights nice and bright at night even with low volt charging on gauge.
6. Electric rear quarte windows quit working. Fronts still work but backs are out. Motors rebuilt on both side so I know they work. Quit working at the exact same time. One day they both worked, next day they didn't

I'm thinking the water temp / volt gauge are electrical gremlins rather than actual mechanical problems. They are on same side of the dash and I don't have issues with fuel or oil gauge on other side of pod.

I'm also thinking my brake light problem may be being caused by a steering wheel issue. I have no horn and no cruise and they are on different circuts but both are steering column wired. I do have turn signals though and thats also steering column wired.

The rest I don't know

Any help would truly be aprecciated.

Oh yeah car stats...'93 LX Convertible 4cyl auto 85K miles

Thanks, Shawn

• Sponsors (?)