electrical gurus in here....

black_demon

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2001
Daly City
im in the process of rewiring my 66 coupe with a painless trunk mount system like edberts and have my relays for the headlights but would like to get rid of the solenoid on the fender with a bosch type relay but am completely clueless on what size relay to use. Also, would it be possible to run fusible links for the headlight & starter solenoid relays rather than inline fuses?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

In order to delete the solenoid, you will have to swap to a 5.0 type starter or sometimes refered to as a mini-starter. It has the solenoid built in. A smaller Bosch type relay will still be required.

StarterRelay-1.jpg

Fuselinks can replace fuses. They are sized 2 gauges smaller than the wire they are protecting. Eg: A 16 gauge fuselink would be used to protect a circuit that is fed by a 12 ga wire.

You didn't say, but remember the diagram is for a mini-starter application only. A standard Bosch type 30A relay with 12 gauge wires for the power/solenoid side (terminals 30 and 87) and 18ga wires are fine for the coil circuit.(terminals 85 and 86)

I removed my solenoid when I installed my mini-starter a couple years ago and have had no issues. My relay is under my heater by the firewall.