Electrical Issues With Steering Wheel Blowing Fuse

Pootnanny

May 7, 2017
Ref: 1967 Fastback

So I have a 3-spoke Shelby style steering wheel that uses an aluminum hub. The horn is not being used with this steering wheel.

A while back, I started developing intermittent shorting (or flickering) with my dash lights while turning the steering wheel. I also lost my tail lights but not my head lights. Typical electrical Gremlins often associated with a headlight switch. Although the aftermarket headlight switch was replaced a year ago, I purchased a new Motorcraft switch and replaced it. I also went ahead and replaced the turn signal switch with an original NOS Ford switch. I wasn't sure if I was getting a short with the turn signal switch in my steering column. I was happy because all electrical worked again!

I cut on my lights and tested it by turned the steering wheel. Ahhhh not again, I watched my dash lights flicker and blew the very bottom fuse in the fuse panel. I believe that it is the fuse that protects the hazard light switch, cigarette lighter, etc...

I pulled off the aftermarket steering wheel and saw transfer marks where the 2 spring loaded horn contacts in the turn signal switch were contacting the aluminum hub for the steering wheel. The 1st horn contact spring is fed by a Yellow wire, the 2nd is fed by a blue wire with a yellow tracer.

I'm sure when the steering wheel is fastened down, both horn contact springs are making contact with the aluminum hub. Am I assuming correctly that both horn contact spring riding on the aluminum hub would create a circuit and probably blew the fuse. I know a little about electrical but am unsure about the electrical operation of the horn.

Much thanks for everyone's opinion.

• Sponsors (?)