electrical problems .Need help.

Well im about to get the stang back on the street but Ive gotta fix these dang light probs. If I turn on my right blinker everything works good.But if I switch it to the left the right blinker indicator blinks,the front left blinker works but the rear dr side blinker doesnt work.Ther right side stays off like it should. Has anyone else had the same problem or know how to fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

stephen4785 said:
Well im about to get the stang back on the street but Ive gotta fix these dang light probs. If I turn on my right blinker everything works good.But if I switch it to the left the right blinker indicator blinks,the front left blinker works but the rear dr side blinker doesnt work.Ther right side stays off like it should. Has anyone else had the same problem or know how to fix it?

Assume you are talking 65 from your profile.

If you have the original (non-GT) instrument bezel with oil pressure and charging lights, there is only one blinker indicator on the bezel, which would make it appear as though the right blinker lights in the dash when you turn the left blinker on. If someone changed to the GT bezel with gauges and didn't add a second light, the effect would be the same.

If your left front blinker works, but the left rear does not, either:

1. Bad bulb or connection at the housing.
2. Follow the wiring from the steering column. There will be two wires separate from the rest (orange-blue and green-orange). Check to be sure that the green-orange wire is connected properly. That is the wire from the turn signal switch that lights the right rear blinker. If you disconnect the wire at the taillight housing and put either a VOM or test light between the orange wire and ground, with the turn signal on, you should get either an intermittant voltage reading or a flashing light (depending on which way you go). If so then the problem is in the housing or bulb connector.

If you don't, then you will have to check to see if the green-orange wire is grounding out or cut somewhere. If the wire is continuous (an Ohmmeter would be helpful here), then your problem is most likely in the turn signal switch itself.

Happy hunting! These electrical systems are simple, but amazingly frustrating when they don't work.

Frank