Electrical woes

LEE93COBRA

Apr 12, 2000
Alabama
Hey guys I purchased a 94 GT AODE this weekend. Decent buy but the car does need some work.

One of the problems I am having is electrical. Are their any common electrical problems in these cars. Speedo and tach work but the odometer and other gauges do not. Using anything that draws a good bit of current (HVAC, headlights, or pressing the brake pedal) will cause the gauges to jump or lights dim. Also p/mirrors and p/ seat do not work. I do not have a owner's manual yet to check the appropriate fuses. Airbag light stays on.

-Lee

• Sponsors (?)

First, I would go buy a Chilton's or a Haynes manual or both.

Second I would check all the fuses and inspect as much of the wiring as possable looking for splices, cracks, or brakes in the wires. Check all electrical connections and make sure there are good grounds. I would guess they had a aftermarket stereo setup and hacked up the harness to get it to work.

Blown fuses will give you a place to start looking. Good luck!

Lee I have the Service manual for 94-95's if you need to borrow it. Also withthe seats it may just be that the motor is burnt up. Have you checked to make sure that the switch for the mirrors is goods. And also fo rthe air bag there is a box behind the radio that you usually have to replace when the air bags have been deployed. Just PM me on the board if you wold like to borrow my service manual. :nice:

The airbad light is actually flashing error codes at startup. See this page for plenty of airbag diagnostics:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

I was getting a code when I first bought my car a couple years ago. It ended up being that the harness coming out of the airbag module was a little corroded. I took it off and cleaned the connectors, and no more codes. And the best part is a correctly working airbag system. Good for piece of mind.

Rick

rockin_rick said:
The airbad light is actually flashing error codes at startup. See this page for plenty of airbag diagnostics:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

I was getting a code when I first bought my car a couple years ago. It ended up being that the harness coming out of the airbag module was a little corroded. I took it off and cleaned the connectors, and no more codes. And the best part is a correctly working airbag system. Good for piece of mind.

Rick

Yeah, but he bought this car from MPS as a project car so more than likely it was wrecked, and they fixed and sold it. So I bet he needs a new module or the clock spring brike. :shrug:

95GTMAN said:
Yeah, but he bought this car from MPS as a project car so more than likely it was wrecked, and they fixed and sold it. So I bet he needs a new module or the clock spring brike. :shrug:

actually this car was a trade in, not one of their rebuilds.
I would like to borrow that book you have Brandon.

LEE93COBRA said:
actually this car was a trade in, not one of their rebuilds.
I would like to borrow that book you have Brandon.

Dam they had one that they haven't rebuilt. :jaw: OK I will see if I can meet up with Brian sometime this week or something. :nice: