Electrical Eliminate Starter Solenoid?

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
Have any of you guys with a mini-starter eliminated your fender-mounted starter solenoid? My understanding is that it can be replaced with a standard SPST 30A relay in this scenario.

Are any of you guys using a junction block for power distribution? Are there any issues with cranking amps going through these junction blocks if I were to put batt+, alt and starter power cables on the same post?

Or would it be a better idea to leave all of the starting/charging cables on the starter solenoid and piggyback a junction block for all of the smaller gauge wires?

I'm currently working on a wire tuck trying to clean up as much of the engine bay as possible.

jegs1.jpg jegs2.jpg

• Sponsors(?)

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
You better get a handle on what kind of wiring you are messing with....

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachments\52294

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or earlier Mustang with upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachments\53216\

Reactions: 1 user

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
Yeah, I have a 3G alt and mini-starter which mirrors the 2nd diagram above. I have capped off the 2 10 AWG orange/black alt wires.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Yes, what you say can be done. Many have done it. Just use a relay to activate the starter relay that is physically located on the starter.

The main issue Is the distribution block. Many of the cheap Amazon/eBay blocks are not robust enough and can break over time.

I plan to do the same with my car but haven’t selected a distribution block yet. I’ve been looking at OEM GM blocks rather than aftermarket. I just don’t trust them

Last edited:

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
Hmm, yeah, you are confirming what I am afraid of. I will be interested to see what you come up with. Thanks for the help!

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
The typical Ford starter solenoid is really a big, multi terminal relay. In the second schematic, it still acts like a relay, but it is sending only a signal to the more typical on starter solenoid and Bendix kick out coil. I cannot see the points sticking and welding with a low battery like the stock set up can.
If you have extra wires that need power, a properly installed distribution block should be safer than trying to get everything on one solenoid terminal.

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I think the issues is if you read reviews for many of those cheapo blocks, they break off at the terminal.

I was looking at something like this. I have more trust in these. I just haven’t selected the model I think I can make look ok in the engine bay.

E400A6A6-D473-48D1-A007-55A5900A9067.png

sd331

Sep 9, 2008
NJ
you can use the 94-04 mustang power distribution box..

Attachments

• car8.jpg
    car8.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 206

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
I don't know if I could stomach installing any GM parts on my car lol.

Something like this could possibly work, too, I suppose. This is from a Volvo S60.

volvo1.jpg volvo2.jpg

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
The cheapest distribution block comes off the mid 80s to mid 90s chevy trucks. Its located under a plastic cover on the passenger side of the firewall. They'll handle just about everything you can throw at them.

Screenshot_20200803-224522_Chrome.jpg

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
Yes, what you say can be done. Many have done it. Just use a relay to activate the starter solenoid that is physically located on the starter.

The main issue Is the distribution block. Many of the cheap Amazon/eBay blocks are not robust enough and can break over time.

I plan to do the same with my car but haven’t selected a distribution block yet. I’ve been looking at OEM GM blocks rather than aftermarket. I just don’t trust them

Now you say you don’t trust them, after you led me to my eBay block! Lol. No issues yet though. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
It starts here. Just filter through the mish mash, and you’ll get what I did.

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
Is there any difference in connecting power cables (e.g. electric fans, fuel pump, amplifiers) directly to the battery vs. to the starter solenoid?

If I were to add a junction block, should I connect it directly to the battery or to the starter solenoid? Or does it even matter?

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Less connections the better. I ran a wire straight from the battery to the junction block. I did this mainly because I relocated my wiring to behind the fender. My solenoid is still used but also relocated. I have a bunch if aftermarket stuff and needed the extra space the junction block gained. If you locate them behind the fender I recommend using a mega fuse 200 or 250amp on the wire leading from the battery. If that wire is pinched in an accident it will smoke up pretty quick. ( not that we ever want to think about an accident...but they do happen )

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
The typical Ford starter solenoid is really a big, multi terminal relay. In the second schematic, it still acts like a relay, but it is sending only a signal to the more typical on starter solenoid and Bendix kick out coil. I cannot see the points sticking and welding with a low battery like the stock set up can.
If you have extra wires that need power, a properly installed distribution block should be safer than trying to get everything on one solenoid terminal.
It acts like a relay because it is a relay & not a solenoid.

RekeHavoc

Dec 5, 2019
TN
Do any of you guys happen to know what the typical maximum amperage draw would be from the battery (fuel pump, headlights, foglights, wipers, A/C, radio all on)? 75-80A?

Last edited:

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
That is half my point. The other half is it is misnamed, and the name “starter solenoid” is what a replacement from most suppliers will be called. Ford might call it a starter relay, but the NAPA counterperson probably will not.
It acts like a relay because it is a relay & not a solenoid.