emergancy brake light

mootang

Dec 5, 2004
texas
anybody heard of this

My emergancy brake light stays on. but if I excellerate hard or brake hard it will sometimes go off for a little bit before coming back on. has anyone run into this problem or heard of something similar?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like the switch on the side of the ebrake handle is loose, happened on mine after the E brake recall was done. Little white switch located towards the passenger side at the bottom of the ebrake handle.

mootang said:
HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK I AM.

Do you really want me to answer that?

Anyways, I'm serious. You're comment about braking and acceleration is the main clue. It's shifting the fluid back and forth causing the light to go on and off.

The master cylinder doesn't have to be very low to trip that sensor. You'd be surprised.

And by the way, calm the hell down. You're the one asking for help so don't be a jackass.

baglock1 said:
And by the way, calm the hell down. You're the one asking for help so don't be a jackass.

Yeah, DITTO X 10!!!!

But for the people who aren't jackarses...... If you pads are pretty worn, the pistons will need to compress more to stop the car. This means the fluid level will go down on the master cylinder.

This also happened when I changed the wheel cylinder on my truck. All it needed was more fluid & voila!!!
Scott

yeah just be careful on how worn the pads are and filling it back up. topped of my sisters master cylinder and two weeks later did the brakes and the fluid poured all back out when i compressed the piston back into the caliper.

baglock1 said:
Do you really want me to answer that?

Anyways, I'm serious. You're comment about braking and acceleration is the main clue. It's shifting the fluid back and forth causing the light to go on and off.

The master cylinder doesn't have to be very low to trip that sensor. You'd be surprised.

i'm sorry that wasn't called for. I know you were just trying to help.

Yup check the brake fluid. My pads were way down i was sure that my ebrake handle was broken or something. I just did my brakes after my dad told me it was probably the low brake fluid, and it went away. These guys know there stuff. :nice:

i doupt its break fluid I know mines not there is a sensor that trips when it is not touching metel pull you cosel apart the screw can come lose and with all the stuff under there the switch can be hitting other metel objects during exceleration